She-Hulk Series

Guest Eis Eis Baby

Guest Eis Eis Baby

So I remember hearing somewhere this week that She-Hulk might actually be getting a Netflix series. Anyone else hear something along those lines?

Too bad. For the life of me I can't figure out why they didn't include a She-Hulk movie on the schedule for Phase 3. Marvel's looking to add diversity to their line-up and they passed on the two easiest properties they had for a woman superhero, Black Widow and She-Hulk, in favor of Captain Marvel. Maybe they didn't consider it because two Hulk movies have already belly-flopped, but She-Hulk is a MUCH easier adaptation for a solo movie since she maintains her humanity, is pretty funny, and her basic storyline can be grasped quickly.

Sign Mark Ruffalo to co-star here instead of Thor 3 (though in fairness, Thor and Hulk have potential). Set up a fairly easy empowerment setup where She-Hulk represents the type of person Jennifer Walters wishes she could be: A quick-witted, sexually empowered, extrovert, but make her kind of a dick (word used intentionally as Jennifer confuses some of the worst aspects of hyper-masculinity with strength). Slowly make Jennifer more like like She-Hulk and She-Hulk becomes more like Jennifer's warmer more caring, compassionate, true believer personality as the movie progresses until there's no distinction between the two (subtext, her femininity mixed with empowerment brings her into balance as a full person/hero). Lace it all with the 'splosions and end it with her green persona subduing her cousin during the climax. Toss in the 4th wall-breaking satire and Daredevil courtroom cameos or not at your discretion.

Once she's set up, she'd make a fantastic addition to the Avengers' breezy dialogue style. She's powerful enough to qualify as a heavy hitter, but not overpowered, so she fits right in. I'd love to see her and Robert Downey Jr.'s Iron Man have a flirting scene just to make Bruce uncomfortable and have Spidey mention that he knows how Bruce feels.

Why isn't this happening?!? A good couple of writers could map out this movie over coffee unlike some of the ridiculously difficult characters they've tackled (Thor, Dr. Strange, Hulk himself) and it'd be a big hit.

Probably because the average movie or television viewer doesnt want to watch a buff female bodybuilder running around. Or at least I could see that being the excuse of executives not wanting to run it. (personally I don't feel that way at all... I'd like to see a she hulk film/series)

Probably because the average movie or television viewer doesnt want to watch a buff female bodybuilder running around.

Why would she have to be a bodybuilder? The actress they cast would certainly need to get ripped and have solid arm and shoulder definition, but there's no rule that says she'd have to be especially bulky. Unless male audiences have developed an aversion to women with six-packs in skimpy outfits when I wasn't looking, this would probably draw more complaints about eye candy than anything else.

Something along these lines would be more than enough to do the character justice:

Probably because the average movie or television viewer doesnt want to watch a buff female bodybuilder running around.

Why would she have to be a bodybuilder? The actress they cast would certainly need to get ripped and have solid arm and shoulder definition, but there's no rule that says she'd have to be especially bulky. Unless male audiences have developed an aversion to women with six-packs in skimpy outfits when I wasn't looking, this would probably draw more complaints about eye candy than anything else.

Something along these lines would be more than enough to do the character justice:

She'd make a pretty Diet-Coke She-Hulk. I don't buy it. Again, doesn't need to be a testosterone monster body builder, but she's need to be more bulky and ripped than that. Most of what that photo shows has been achieved with airbrushing anyways.

Like I said, I have no problem with a bigger muscular woman playing she hulk, but I bet the money people do have reservations.

The size of She-Hulk's muscles fluctuates wildly between artists. Often she is rather jacked. But a good chunk of the time she's portrayed as just being very athletic. Both are valid takes as far as I'm concerned. Here's the picture of her in the heading of her Wikipedia page (where I imagine most non-comic nerds would go first to find out about the character). It's pretty much the same body-type from the woman in the pic I posted.

c5adeb16b59fac02003b13169ba6ac17.jpg

That's the direction I would expect the casting to go.

A. Because there are a LOT more actresses out there that could work to a strong athletic body versus bulky muscles. They're not going to limit their options for actresses to those capable of extraordinary muscle-building prowess any more than they would hold out for a Wolverine that's 5'3" or the rare woman that could fill the typical comic book heroine's bra (She-Hulk definitely included in that last).

B. They'd probably prefer to go in that direction anyway since, as you noted, it'd be easier to sell.

Well if she ends up on a TV budget they wouldn't do her as CG Hulked out like her cousin-- they couldn't afford to. Funny enough, the most likely scenario would be doing like the old TV show where you have two actors-- one as Jennifer, a bigger one as She-Hulk.

For a movie, I was thinking that they'd just make the actress green and CGI her height up to 6'10" or so. Making the whole character CGI would be a waste of money and counterproductive. And having Captain America or whoever only come up to her chest would be plenty physically imposing.

The television series would be tougher. I'd think they'd just settle for a wardrobe change though. Bringing in a Lou Ferrigno would be a bit corny in this age.

Well if she ends up on a TV budget they wouldn't do her as CG Hulked out like her cousin-- they couldn't afford to. Funny enough, the most likely scenario would be doing like the old TV show where you have two actors-- one as Jennifer, a bigger one as She-Hulk.

I think it would be better to do the opposite of Hulk in the movies. They could get someone tall and fit, then shrink them down for the Jennifer Walters scenes! Like the Hobbits in LOTR or Chris Evans in the first Captain America movie.

Well, I thinking from a holistic perspective of whether it would be cheaper or more expensive. So all tricks are tossed in depending on which scene it works best for. Forced perspective, putting her on a box for some scenes. CGI if the camera's moving. More reliance on CGI sets and backgrounds than the average Marvel movie to make it easier to fake. Just casting shortish co-stars in the first place. Body doubles when you can get away with it.

Making She-Hulk a CGI character would be insane from my perspective since she's completely human besides her green skin. It'd be like making Gamora CGI in Guardians of the Galaxy. I'm not knee-jerk opposed to CGI characters, but when the character's completely human, a human actor is always the better option.

Honestly, I'm guessing they'd just paint her green, and angle her on apple boxes to look taller.

Would Robert Downey Jr. get to keep his apple box if they shot a scene together?

That's just as expensive of an effect as mo-capping a CG model. In some ways it's actually hard cause you have to mask and track everything in the scene.

I think they should just do the different actress thing, then. She looks different enough as She-Hulk that it would be believable, as believable as a woman getting big and green can be anyways! :p

Did you know coming in there tell me do things?

Is this a Fensler film quote?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.