Fake Geek Boys

Mara Jade Skywalker

Yeah, this is fake. The structure and dialogue reads poorly/overly thought out. Nobody's dumb friend is ever going to refer to someone as too much a "social justice warrior." The punchline is also too convenient. [or am I missing something?]

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Nobody said that. People said that they don't believe this story.

If I read a story that says the president was assassinated and I say that I don't believe it, that doesn't mean I don't believe that assassinations happen.

Nobody's dumb friend is ever going to refer to someone as too much a "social justice warrior."

Just how much time do you spend on the internet? Cause....

Not much, really. I frequent the same ten or so sites. I just saw this "SJW" bull**** referred to in a Youtube video today. First time I've heard of it (or noticed, at least)

Ok, let's say this is based on a thing that has happened or does happen. I think the level "geek knowledge" or "geek awareness" is irrelevant, and attempting to judge such things is nebulous at best. The guys in this story are just ****ty people. If he really loved this girl, made this flub, and then admitted he was just trying to pretend to really like (or doesn't really know a lot about) geek-y things in order to get closer to her (and then kicked his friend in the balls)... would that be ok? I think so.

If he really loved this girl, made this flub, and then admitted he was just trying to pretend to really like (or doesn't really know a lot about) geek-y things in order to get closer to her (and then kicked his friend in the balls)... would that be ok? I think so.

No.

It's pretty clear that this guy is a true Star Wars fan. I'd never doubt his love of Star Wars. He's a real geek. And it's not that he doesn't know who Mara Jade is (lots of people avoid "non-canon" material), it's that instead of asking his girlfriend what's up, he automatically assumes that she's a fake geek girl and sides with his MRA douchebro. It also pissed me off that he just assumed that his gf's favorite character was Leia. Clearly, they never discussed this before. And what relationship based on a mutual love of Star Wars doesn't start with the "who's your favorite character?" conversation? I've had multiple first dates that revolve around that conversation.

What would make this "okay" is if he apologizes for siding with his friend over her. For allowing his friend to rag on her in her own home and in front of her friends. And then if he puts his words to action and at least firmly chastises his friend when he gets out of hand with the girlfriend (or anyone else), if not break ties with him altogether for being a ****ty human being.

That's if she's okay with taking him back. It's pretty clear where his loyalties lie, and they're not with her, no matter what he says. Personally, I've had enough bad experience dating geek bros that I've said "never again" when it comes to geek boyfriends and I've stood firm on my resolve. I can see her making the same choice after this nonsense.

How is it clear that he's true a Star Wars fan? What does that even mean? Do you know him? Why is the title of this 'Fake Geek Boys'?

What's the core issue here then? Sexism toward fangirls? An epidemic of idiot fanboys who make terrible boyfriends?

After four months, unless they rarely see each other, someone's not going to, out-of-the-blue, discover or assume that their significant other is a "fake geek"... unless, like I said, he's just generally a shitty person... in which case, I would assume that level of douchery would rear its head much earlier and over something much more simple than "mistaken-costume ass-hattery." I'm just saying, this was probably the final straw after several other non-geek related instances of immaturity. Point being, the guy needs to grow up... unless of course, we're discussing that there is some kind of wider epidemic of women-hating fanboys.

Wow, you really don't internet very often, do you?

"Fake geek girl" is a slang term that's lobbed at girls in geek spaces by "gatekeepers" or guy geeks who can't handle that a girl is playing in the boy's clubhouse. So, he'll tell her that she's only pretending to be a geek to "prey" on the geek boys (because, you know, they're SO desirable as boyfriends). They'll "prove" this by insisting that they aren't really a fan of X unless they know the most minute trivia. In things like comic universes that have been continuously building since the 30's, this is daunting as hell, especially if the girl just discovered the fandom recently. It chases many female geeks out of geek spaces like comic book shops, gaming stores, and cons.

"Fake geek boy" is a reversal of this trope to illustrate that while this gatekeeper was "fake geek girling" the gf, he was really the "fake geek," or the one who couldn't rattle off minutae off the top of his head. It has nothing to do with one being a geek, or a "real geek." It's just a term to describe sexism in the geek community.

It's clear that the Reddit OP is a real Star Wars Geek because he says so. He says it was a huge part of his childhood. He said that his relationship with "Ben" the gatekeeper revolved around a mutual love of Star Wars. I'm not going to doubt someone is a fan of something if they say they are. That's being douche-y.

Jesus how complicated is navigating the world of inter-personal relationships gonna get? Or has it always been this way and our rampant communication with one and other online forced all our neurosis and issues to the forefront?

I feel like my head could implode sometimes.. and I really don't want it to be because some twatlord in Pennsylvania somewhere doesn't think his girl can Star Wars right, when in actually she can Star Wars harder than he can, and thereby "triggers" the sensitive feelings of make geekdom internet wide. Someone bring back 1997.

Mens Rights Activists.

And I'm 1000% uncomfortable with this conversation taking place outside of the Lyceum. Its political argument with a tangential connection to Star Wars.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.