New Rogue One trailer coming Thursday and the return of Bail Organa

Mara Jade Skywalker

Anyway, I really don't know what to say to the defenders who don't see that Rey's sudden progression as a Force user without any explanation or training isn't a flaw in the movie. To me, it's just a ridiculously obvious flaw that leads the list of complaints in the botched last third of the film. To put it off to not being able to handle a girl is just silly in my mind. I'm certain that I would have had the same complaint were it a guy. The only thing missing if that were the case would be that particular crutch of an excuse would be gone.

Regardless of gender the way Rey is written is like becoming a Black Belt or a Ninja without any training, or becoming the best athlete in the world without training. The only genre films where the protagonist all of a sudden have these amazing powers and defeat the bad guy are in Super Hero movies. I can't think of any well made film where a protagonist goes from being nothing to then becoming such this ultimate bad ass who can do anything and everything with no experience.

She talks all these languages yet she's lived alone in an AT-AT all these years ? Did she go to School ? Do they even have an education system on this planet ? Again we learned nothing about Jakku. It looked like a small set built in a desert. We learned nothing about it in comparison to what we lean about Tatooine in ANH.

Anyway, the fans who are in denial about Mary Sue, fair enough. But you can't sit there and say Rey isn't a Mary Sue when thousands of people (and film makers and film critics) on the internet say otherwise. This doesn't mean they are right, but the fact remains that if so many people see it this way, then this has to raise the question, and not the eyebrow.

If there's a complaint that disliking Rey's character is shoe-hroned in with disliking a female lead, than I can certainly cry foul about being accused of being in "denial" for still liking Rey as a character. Star Wars never has and never will be sublte it its ways.

If people want to argue about her, we have a thread. This thread is about Rogue One, which I hope is as awesome as it the trailers imply.

You said you don't spend enough time on the internet.... nightly is on the internet, you've been using nightly for years.... so have I, except I come and go, you seem to be always here. You obviously spend more time online discussing Star Wars than I do. Therefore I must spend less time than you, yet I seem to be more aware of the general consesus of the feelings between fans and non fans on the new films.

There's a broader range of opinions out there than here on nightly. The problem with Nightly is that the majority are fan boys with one sided views. They can't or refuse to look at Star Wars objectively or critically, but that's fan mentality.

I'd rather discuss aspects of films critically other than agree with everyone how great they are. Sure it's great that we all love Star Wars, some of us can even bond for being kindred geeks, but after a certain amount of time it get's dull telling each other how much we love this and that.

I remember when I first came here I used to vent about the prequels, back then nearly everyone on here loved them. How things change over the years... or haven't.

There's a broader range of opinions out there than here on nightly. The problem with Nightly is that the majority are fan boys with one sided views. They can't or refuse to look at Star Wars objectively or critically, but that's fan mentality.

I've been at Nightly for a looooong time and can guarantee that this is not the case.

Edit: Krawlie said it better.

It this though, and this discussion is proof of that. You are in denial that Rey is a Mary Sue when she is considered as one by many people, many more people than here on Nightly I might add.

These people obviously have a lot more insight and have pointed out the obvious, and furthermore they have backed up their opinions with valid statements. Just google it.

That's what's hilarious, the fact that most people here seem to disagree with valid points raised by both fans and non fans alike, because they love Star Wars sooooooooo much lol !

It's like they are offended because someone points out the obvious. Whether she is or she isn't a Mary Sue has no real bearing on whether the film is good or not. Not everything revolves around her. Its's not even really being critical by pointing out the obvious. Someone could agree that Rey is a Mary Sue and still love the film regardless. It shouldn't actually matter as long as it's well written / made.

Yeah, I don't discuss Star Wars anywhere else online than here. No desire to. But the fact is that most people, I'd say the vast majority of people really liked TFA. It's fine that you don't but to be fair the movie is very well liked.

As for fans/non fans whatever I've never gotten why people would spend so much time talking about something they don't like. I love Tolkien and I really liked the LOTR movies. I was excited for The Hobbit movies. I didn't like the first one, I posted about my feelings for the movie a couple times on here over the next couple days and that was it. I never saw the next 2 because I didn't think I'd like it. Why would I waste my time on something I don't like? Waste my time talking about it or watching it?

And I'm not saying your shouldn't post here or whatever. I just don't get it. TFA came out months ago, you didn't like it. That sucks, I wish you did. Why months later do you still care? Why would you see Episode VIII? Maybe you won't but Im guessing you will.

The reason I care is because I love the OT so bloody much it hurts when I see the pile of dog turd Star Wars has become. I've loved the films for over 30 years and probably will till the day I die, so whatever comes after them of course I'll care to some extent.

Fans are in denial though. You can look at the character of Luke and Anakin and make Mary Sue comparisons, Mark Hamill said Luke was basically George. Luke S = Lucas. Both characters pilot fast vehicles, that was George's hobby etc.. He's put himself into those characters to some extent, therefore they can been viewed in the same way. Luke is an extension of George without a doubt. He's put certain attributes of his own persona into that character, and that's fine with me.

The difference is that those characters didn't posses all these amazing (Mary Sue) attributes like Rey which cheapen her character, had Rey made a few mistakes and learned a few things on her journey before she got to put her powers into action (like Luke) then her character would be more compelling and she would earn the respect. It would have helped the film a whole lot.

When is the last time a film was released and so many fans jumped on the band wagon accusing the protagonist of being a Mary Sue ? Like I said just earlier, it's not always necessarily a bad thing, it's how it's handled that counts, and I think Rey could have been handled with a lot more care and consideration, as with the rest of the characters.

Let's hope we don't get another cheap female lead in Rogue One, which is kind of how this topic has veered.

Anyone who disagrees with Trumpet is in denial, lol.

That's my problem with alot of people who don't like something online. It's never "hey, you liked it I don't". It's "you only like it because you are lying to yourself about it. if you were as smart as me then you wouldn't like it!!".

This is just not true. Finding something you believe to be a fault doesn't make you smarter or have better taste. It just means you didn't like a movie.

Ofcourse bias exists, impossible to go into a Star Wars movie at this point without some kind of feeling before the movie. But bias can work the other way too. I can just as easily say that some people have built ANH and ESB up in their mind so much that no movie, no matter what could ever measure up to them in their minds. I'm not saying that's the case here or with anyone else but just like there almost certainly are people who will like any Star Wars movie no matter what there are people who won't like any new Star Wars movie no matter what.

The vast majority of people I would say are somewhere between those 2 extremes.

I'm not even taking exception to his opinion of the movie, just the whole "in denial" BS. Ofcourse there are people online who don't like the movie or think whatever about Rey and that's fine. All I'm saying is that people who do like the movie aren't "in denial".

The reason I care is because I love the OT so bloody much it hurts when I see the pile of dog turd Star Wars has become.

The prequels did that long before TFA.

ANYWAY

Apparently the different looks Forrest Whittaker has in the two different trailers is cause his appearance changes during the movie, and was not some sort of reshoot business.

Apparently the different looks Forrest Whittaker has in the two different trailers is cause his appearance changes during the movie, and was not some sort of reshoot business.

The merchandising arm appears to be in full swing then. Why else would Star Wars characters change appearances? ;)

I'm talking about people being in denial when it comes to a valid criticism that holds plenty of weight, not whether they like the movie not. If they weren't in denial they could easily say, 'well I can see that and I can see where they are coming from, but it doesn't ruin the movie for me'.... Instead, fanboy mentality comes into play and these people refuse to take these valid points on board, and argue or disagree with these points...despite there being so much evidence right there in plain black and white for the simple fact they have a fanboy mentality.

It's not about who thinks they are smarter, it's about having a more open, critical mind, and being able to respond to criticism, whether it's against themselves or a film they love. Fan boys have a closed mind, in any genre or medium and they can never respond to any form of criticism no matter how valid the criticism is.

I accept that people have criticisms about TFA. I understand a lot of them. The Mary Sue nonsense is just that, nonsense. A Mary Sue is a specific term from fanfic used to describe self-insert, perfect in all way characters. Not necessarily everyone who's super powerful. It also wouldn't be an argument if Rey was a male character, and if you can't see that, you're in denial. Just call her overpowered if you want to criticize. That's fine. I think the Jedi in TCW are way overpowered.

(I'm really looking forward to the same arguments against Jyn, let me tell you.)

Driver, I'm super curious about Saw's appearance. I wonder how much time is supposed to pass in the movie, or maybe there's a flashback?

I'm also really curious about Galen's loyalties. I've seen some speculation that the thermal exhaust port flaw was his doing on purpose. Also that the TIE at the end of the trailer is actually him coming to the rescue.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.