New Rogue One trailer coming Thursday and the return of Bail Organa

Mara Jade Skywalker

I get where you're coming from Poe, and agree for the most part.

Its an appreciation of cheese. Sometimes Quattro Fromage can be a good thing.. but you add on some strong blue cheese on top of the already existing four cheeses, and its a little too much and you've done gone ruined your pizza. Same with rousing speeches/the feelie moments in movies. Star Wars has always been a cheesy kind of pizza, but its always been a somewhat subtle cheese.... or at least nuanced... so the level of cheese that you're actually consuming goes by seamlessly and feels natural. Some of the "this is WHY we fight" speeches that we're seeing in the rouge 1 trailers feel like heaping on a big slab of gorgonzola where its totally not needed, and the nuance is lost and you become totally aware you've eaten too much cheese and feel kinda nauseous momentarily.

I'm still gonna eat the pizza, but it could've been waaaaay better had that moment of nausea not happened.

Or in it at all. How many times do we see and hear things in trailers that don't make the final cut? A lot of this stuff will definitely make it in, of course, but I'm with Choc.

But it even makes sense to have it in more than once story wise anyway. Remember, his is supposed to be the Rebellion's first victory against the Empire. Gotta be some motivational speeches in there somewhere.

sure there will be motivational speeches, but its all in the delivery. The closed eye thing one of the guys does while stamping his staff or rifle but down during the speech.. its kind of painful to watch. Its some pretty pungent stilton right there.

Im sure I'm just nitpicking and within the context of the film it'll be fine.

But without nitpicking we'd have nothing to talk about so....

I've got my ticket, so more excited than curious now, even though my expectations aren't that high. It's Star Wars, and people running around with blasters (and I love that heavy / backpack one) and flying spaceships and those sound effects just gets to me in a way that superheroes and magic/fantasy etc. just doesn't.

I'm worried that there will too much cheese too (agree with Odine about that stilton moment), but at the moment I'm all "will they all die?" (my preferred ending) and all of the stuff that was covered in the other thread.

I haven't seen TFA from start to finish since January and my feelings haven't changed on it much because they were mixed-but-generally-positive from the start, but I'm hoping that R1 will succeed in the areas where I thought TFA failed

You all know this movie is literally about a Rebellion, right?

Yeah, precisely why you'd think they wouldn't need a reminder a dozen different ways just from the various teasers and trailers. The Original Trilogy never had anything like this. We just saw the Empire doing evil things and that was good enough for the the audience to know why stormtroopers were bad and it was okay to kill them. The characters in this movie are soldiers right? They know why they're there.

I'm just sensing the "Why we fight" theme is getting pressed WAY too hard. I could be completely wrong and it's just a quirk of the trailers, but it is a concern.

Very good points. The movie-going world already knows what happened in the Prequels: the Empire captured the galaxy. We also know they actively suppressed all opposition, and were building the Death Star. Jump to the OT and the war is on, with not much of a deep explanation needed beyond ANH's opening crawl. I would hope that this little in-between story is not two hours of "why we need to do this" / "I rebel" and more of this terrorist group (officially, that's what the Rebellion is to the government in power) desperately trying to bring its like-minded people close to making its greatest operation a reality---with grim consequences for most of the protagonists, which will support the merciless might of the Empire seen in ANH's opening. We don't need Bluto (Animal House) Blutarsky's rallying speech in SW trappings.

Going to see this with my Dad after Christmas. So the excitement has to be curbed a little. We want to see it together. But I think I'm going to explode. I'll be honest about the trailers: as much as they've gone around and been on during commercial breaks I haven't watched them fully so it's all newish to me! Too much has been going on during the school year. So unlike you guys I'm feeling hype just based on the fact that it's a Star Wars movie.

Of all the debates I've seen on nightly, dissecting the hyperbole of SW has to be the most ridiculous. If there's one thing that is consistent across the saga it's a simplistic black/white, good/evil outlook on things.

If this movie as about the turning point for the Alliance it makes sense to me.

Plus, no one seems to be very observant in pointing out that Jyn's speech is the corner stone of this and it is likely from one scene.

I'm all for bashing on things when they deserve it, -and R1 may (won't know till I see it), but man.... there's just no pleasing some people.

I liked the bit in TFA where General Hux gave his speech.

It made me cry, just knowing how far we've come from the vote of no confidence in Chancellor Valorum. I'm not for the Empire or First Order or anything, but the end of ROTJ considered, with the Ewok celebration and Vader's redemption, it's just poetic justice to hear Hux's speech. They must really hate the republic. SW has a way of making the bad guys relatable.

Of all the debates I've seen on nightly, dissecting the hyperbole of SW has to be the most ridiculous. If there's one thing that is consistent across the saga it's a simplistic black/white, good/evil outlook on things.

Plus, no one seems to be very observant in pointing out that Jyn's speech is the corner stone of this and it is likely from one scene.

I'm all for bashing on things when they deserve it, -and R1 may (won't know till I see it), but man.... there's just no pleasing some people.

This is 100% right, especially the last sentence.

This is 100% right, especially the last sentence.

Don't feed the Animals!!

A couple weeks ago, a friend asked me if I wanted to go see it opening night. He then made plans to go on a double date with another couple, and didn't bother telling me, so I'm at the point of deciding if I'm going to wait a week to see it with friends who are available and avoid everyone who has seen it, or go alone.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.