New Rogue One trailer coming Thursday and the return of Bail Organa

Mara Jade Skywalker

Not really paying much attention to the TV spots at this point, but I'm still worried that the world "Rebellion" and other such rah-rah soundbites keep getting tossed around like American flags in a political rally. I'm seriously worried this film degenerated into a series of platitudes even before I've seen it.

George was on board right up till near the end of production on TFA. Kennedy said he was basically her Yoda in a video interview regarding him being on board for advice. I even read somewhere that Rey was created by Lucas too, this part may be BS but if he was on board after the pre-production phase then he's had some hand in it.

I don't know, but saying no one would run with an idea from George doesn't add up when you consider the Whills are now being incorporated into the new Canon, Lucas visited Edwards during production. They've even included a character from the Cone Wars in Rogue One. This kind of goes against that statement Tank.

The way Edwards speaks about Lucas (refers to him as God when it comes to Star Wars) in a recent iterview easily suggests the possibility of a few phone calls or meetings here and there, but to say he wouldn't run with an idea from George after making a statement like that ? hmmmmm.

I don't think Lucas was dumped, I think there was a disagreement so he walked away in a hissy fit and left them to it. You can't fire someone who is not an employee.

He and his ideas were both dumped. He gave them his outlines, they immediately decided to go in a different direction. Given everything we've seen from mister "I wanted to paint the house green" I highly doubt he was part of the collaboration. Sure they could call him and ask advice, but he wasn't part of the brain trust. That was Kinberg, Kennedy, Kasdan, and Abrams.

Watching people talk around the prequels in all the bts material is uncomfortably hilarious. He called them white slavers. The fact he was so surprised when he saw the film shows how uninvolved he was.

Given all the interviews I've read, I've pieced together with some certainty that Rey was originally Kira in Arndt's draft, and was Luke's daughter. Kasdan and Abrams recycled much of the material and changed up her background.

As for the Whills-- the Bendu showed up on Rebels. All the unused concepts are out there for the taking, and the brain trust is smartly raising vintage Lucas ideas. I meant he is not currently offering up any ideas, because no one trusts them now between the PT and the odd way he'd interfere with TCW.

Obviously this is all staged but...

These directors are all buddies, and despite whatever stipulations Disney contracts may say about Lucas not being involved I doubt they would state that anyone involved in the film is not allowed to have any direct contact with Lucas, unless Disney they have their phones tapped and are following them everywhere they go lol !

If Lucas does have some involvement it would probably be to a similar extent that Spielberg was involved in TFA and ROTS.

Film politics is as shady and as underhanded as real life politics, they are so similar in many ways.

Not really paying much attention to the TV spots at this point, but I'm still worried that the world "Rebellion" and other such rah-rah soundbites keep getting tossed around like American flags in a political rally. I'm seriously worried this film degenerated into a series of platitudes even before I've seen it.

I've seen several click bait sites with headlines regarding supposed Rogue One reshoots that were done to needle Donald Trump. Not sure if there's any truth to it, but it brings back memories of ROTS where liberty died with "thunderous applause" that was supposedly a jab at Bush's presidency.

Obviously anyone can ask anyone a question or for some advice but if you think Lucas is exerting any kind of major influence over Star Wars at this point I think you are wrong.

I didn't say Lucas had any major influence Choc, even though every Star Wars film will forever be based on his own ideas... I'll repeat this only one time...

Whatever [Lucas] liked was pretty much guaranteed to be in the film.” - Gareth Edwards.

There you go....

End of...

I've seen several click bait sites with headlines regarding supposed Rogue One reshoots that were done to needle Donald Trump. Not sure if there's any truth to it, but it brings back memories of ROTS where liberty died with "thunderous applause" that was supposedly a jab at Bush's presidency.

He would have been safe if he'd left it there. But he took it about six steps further...

Which was damn derailing in context of 2005 by how obvious it was a callback to Bush's "With us or with the terrorists". Add in that Star Wars is chalk full of black and white morality (especially among the incredibly rigid Jedi!) this very line included, Anakin is committing his terrible deeds for what he believes is the greater good, and the idea that only a evil magical space wizard would think in this way is just rather against human nature... and that actually might well be the worst line of the whole saga given its context as a prelude to the Prequel's entire climax in order to get in a petty political jab.

I do rather hope that Rogue One doesn't fall into the same trap. That would be very unfortunate. Especially since I've thought this had an odd propaganda film feel to it for a long time. Like they were trying to make a case that we should all be against the Evil Empire and their doomsday weapons. Which... umm... okay. Didn't know we needed to have that point driven home.

We'll see.

You all know this movie is literally about a Rebellion, right?

Yeah, precisely why you'd think they wouldn't need a reminder a dozen different ways just from the various teasers and trailers. The Original Trilogy never had anything like this. We just saw the Empire doing evil things and that was good enough for the the audience to know why stormtroopers were bad and it was okay to kill them. The characters in this movie are soldiers right? They know why they're there.

I'm just sensing the "Why we fight" theme is getting pressed WAY too hard. I could be completely wrong and it's just a quirk of the trailers, but it is a concern.

... You want a movie that's about a Rebellion fighting an Empire to NOT be about why they fight?

Well, yeah. You recall the "Remember Alderaan" slogans or Luke telling Yoda he's fighting because the Empire killed his aunt and uncle or Han telling the moving story of how he saved Chewie from Imperial slavery or the rousing speech from Gen. Dodanna?

Neither do I, because it wasn't there and didn't need to be. There's already more of this sort of stuff in the various trailers and TV spots than there were in the other 7 movies put together. If the movie's main goal is to tell me that the "evil Galactic Empire" is evil and must be fought... well I got that from the deeds they showed way back in 1977.

Actually one of the things I want to see most in this movie is sort of the day to day oppression of the Empire, occupation in the streets, the way it may have affected the everyday life of someone in the Galaxy.

I'm cool with that. Like I said, it's the platitudes that are bothering me. The first teasers got me up for the movie with the different style, but the "This is a rebellion, I rebel" type of lines gave me pause. And instead of being assured as time has gone on that they wouldn't rely on trite, this worry has only accelerated as more footage comes out.

If we're already coming down to defending trite and playing the "maybe this movie isn't for you" card, then that's even MORE worrisome.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.