New Rogue One trailer coming Thursday and the return of Bail Organa

Mara Jade Skywalker

It's weird seeing someone say like "people are starting to notice flaws!!". It makes me wonder if those who don't like TFA believe that those who do think the movie is perfect or something? Like the movie was given from God to Abrams and then imparted onto film by the Holy Ghost. That's just not the case. Ofcourse TFA has flaws. 99.9% of movies ever made have flaws. And it's not a matter of "overlooking them, forgiving them" or anything like that. It's simply a matter of the good outweighing the bad.

Your'e over complicating a simple statement because your'e trying to defend a film it seems you obviously like so much.

Point I'm making, as with many films, with repeated watching it becomes more apparent that TFA was a hodgepodge of fan service scenes and just as many terrible plot conveniences. The whole thing was written to provide nerdgasm scenes in all the right places, instead of being written to make a good original story.

After a few viewings it seems the spectacle is wearing off, this is not the case with the OT, where the films have truly stood the test of time.

When it first came out everyone on the internet was praising this film very highly, now I'm seeing more and more people hating on it, mostly on the youtube comments.

The Force Awakens is a good example of not being able to polish a turd.

I mean come on... A LIGHTSABER THAT SPOKE TO REY....an inanimate object... FFS, terrible, just complete and utter garbage of an idea. Will we have singing Lightsabers in the next one ?

I don't know why I keep getting drug into this... cause you're a pal and all.. but you're so obstinate about TFA... which again, is my punishment cause I'm no better about the PT.

Soooo...

Your'e over complicating a simple statement because your'e trying to defend a film it seems you obviously like so much.

And you're trying to shut it down because you hate it. No difference.

Point I'm making, as with many films, with repeated watching it becomes more apparent that TFA was a hodgepodge of fan service scenes and just as many terrible plot conveniences.

You keep framing the argument this way as if this was something we weren't supposed to realize. Abrams has said from the get go this was exactly the intent. After the PT, which did NOT feel a thing like SW to most, TFA, for the sake of the entire franchise, had to do a reset to get that tone back.

You don't like it-- fine. But don't say it's cause they choked or screwed up-- this was their plan, and they did it.

The whole thing was written to provide nerdgasm scenes in all the right places, instead of being written to make a good original story.

Name me one franchise film with a hefty jump in time that doesn't do this. This is the nature of the beast. Again-- if it was designed to do so, and it pulled off, saying it was wrong is, well... wrong.

After a few viewings it seems the spectacle is wearing off, this is not the case with the OT, where the films have truly stood the test of time.

And maybe it is an unfair comparison, because outside of the OT, some vintage Speilberg, and some true centuries old classics, most movies wear thin upon repeated viewings. It's impossible to recreate the timeless quality of the OT simply because they had the benefit of being so original. Given that blockbuster cinema since the OT has tried to emulate what Star Wars did, of course the model is going to seem tired. I think it's incredibly unfair for somebody to demand a movie make them feel exactly like a movie they first saw as a kid and are devoted to. Again-- I get it. I wanted the PT to do that, and it didn't. But TFA came close enough that it made me happy.

I know it;s flawed, but to me, that feeling was more important.

When it first came out everyone on the internet was praising this film very highly, now I'm seeing more and more people hating on it, mostly on the youtube comments.

The internet, especially the uberfan driven parts, is not representative of people on the whole. Fanboys may be the loudest, but they do not have the numbers.

I mean come on... A LIGHTSABER THAT SPOKE TO REY....an inanimate object... FFS, terrible, just complete and utter garbage of an idea. Will we have singing Lightsabers in the next one ?

A cave called to Luke. An exploding planet called to Obi-Wan. You're taking it far to literal. Rey had a vision, through the force. We've seen them throughout the saga. Luke had them. Anakin had them. It was The Force speaking to Rey, not the lightsaber. It was just the trigger.

I also like how he used the term "nerdgasm".

Probably two of the main reasons I watch Star Wars are 1-the action scenes, I want to see lightsaber fights, space battles, good guys being chased by bad guys shooting at them. Maybe that's simple, but it's probably the main reason I love Star Wars. 2-I want those moments, you can derogatively call them nerdgasms if you want, but I love those moments. I love Rey cleaning the part and looking at the old lady doing the same, Han's arrival, Han's speech about it all being true, Rey turning the Force around on Kylo, Rey using the Jedi mind trick to even her own surprise, Han and Kylo's scene, the saber flying to Rey, Luke's appearance. I love those. The moments are what matter.

you keep framing the argument this way as if this was something we weren't supposed to realize. Abrams has said from the get go this was exactly the intent. After the PT, which did NOT feel a thing like SW to most, TFA, for the sake of the entire franchise, had to do a reset to get that tone back.

You don't like it-- fine. But don't say it's cause they choked or screwed up-- this was their plan, and they did it.

Tank, the fact that Abrams and everyone set out to make TFA intentionally resemble the first film doesn't make things better in my book, it makes it worse. It says, let's not bother to explore new avenues or ideas in this fantastic and already established universe, let's just be lazy and just re-create what we know already works and put a slightly different spin on it. The fans will love it and they will lap it up, and you know what ? As dissapointing as it is to admit, it's true, many fans did lap it up. It's just a massive wasted opportunity for something that could have been amazing.

Name me one franchise film with a hefty jump in time that doesn't do this. This is the nature of the beast. Again-- if it was designed to do so, and it pulled off, saying it was wrong is, well... wrong.

That was in response to my comment regarding the writing structure just being written to accommedate certain key moments. This is how bad films (blockbusters in general) are written. Formulaic. Star Wars stood out for many reasons, one of them being because it wasn't so formulaic. When is the last time a blockbuster film ended like 'The Empire Strikes Back' ? It was risky and it defied some of the conventions. Most of the second act is all sitting around and talking, (what some people call the boring bits), but I'd much rather have that then a load of action scenes filled with explosions.

A cave called to Luke. An exploding planet called to Obi-Wan. You're taking it far to literal. Rey had a vision, through the force. We've seen them throughout the saga. Luke had them. Anakin had them. It was The Force speaking to Rey, not the lightsaber. It was just the trigger.

Yeah but the cave was organic, it was full of life, it was full of branches and lizards and things, it wasn't a piece of man made metal. In the original screenplay I think it was reffered to as the tree, not the cave (Williams que for that sequence was titled the magic tree or something similiar in older soundtrack listings, I think it's also referred to as the tree in the Marvel comic adaptation that had to be put together quickly). Regardless, the cave is teething with life, the Lightsaber is not. Yes the Force is meant to flow through everything but that's not the same thing.

I don't think Alderaan called to Obi Wan either, Obi Wan felt the deaths of millions of people on that planet, which again, is different.

It should be the Force talking to Rey, not the lightsaber, so why would Maz Kanata tell her that the Lightsaber spoke to her ? It doesn't make sense. If she said the Force had spoken to her it would be different.

Choc, the term nerdgasm is not a derogatory term, and was not used as one either. This is the problem with Star Wars fans and fan mentality in general, they take any form of criticism as an offence.

Fair enough, I mean I didn't take offense, but the context you used it in certainly made it seem like a negative connotation.

As for the lightsaber, Driver is right. It's just the trigger. I think one thing JJ and Kasdan did with this movie is just make it as simple as possible. It's just simpler for Maz to say "and now it's calling for you" about the lightsaber, rather than some explanation about how it is a trigger to the Force talking to her or whatever. They just kept it as clean and fast as possible. I think the same thing applies to the map to Luke. Why in the hell would the Empire's archives have a map to Luke Skywalker? They wouldn't. They may have a map to the first Jedi Temple. Which is what it is. But they just cut past all that and sad it was a map to Luke.

From what I've heard it was actually Kasdan who championed this approach. He kept telling JJ "don't worry about all these explanations, just keep it moving." You are right, they did write the movie around the moments rather than around the story in alot of ways. I understand if you don't like that approach. But I do think most people did, including me.

I don't mind writing to accommodate certain key moments and ideas, but some films just make it seem so obvious, whereas others don't.

I think it would just be simpler and more effective if Kanata had just said that 'The Force' had spoken to her and left it at that, because it's a Lightsaber not the frickin 'Sword of Omens' or anything like that.

I think the key to TFA for the tired ppl is not Rey, it's Kylo Ren. Angry, conflicted, seemingly tired

Not sure what's the point

Doesn't even trust this new Snoke character

I think my mind is already on the possibilities of 8 and 9 I couldn't possibility make a final.decision about TFA

So it's not possible that anyone working on the new films wouldn't call up Lucas for some 'unofficial' conversations, and advice maybe ? All the big film directors are connected, via business or friendships. I think it's feasible. Lucas also visited the set and apparentley gave Gareth Edwards some advice so it could well be the case that Lucas is having some hand in it because (understandably) he doesn't want to see his baby ruined.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.