New Rogue One trailer coming Thursday and the return of Bail Organa

Mara Jade Skywalker

I agree with El Chalupacabra. When I walked out of the theater after each PT film, I was very satisfied. I had completely enjoyed what I'd just seen. It wasn't until repeat viewings that I started to see why their were people who had not liked them. A lot of those details did start to irk me too. But because I had loved them on my first viewing, I've been able to overlook that stuff and that feeling of enjoyment has stayed throughout. So to this day, I can still sit through all three, especially ROTS. Fast forward ten years to my first viewing of TFA, as I walked out of the theater I found myself feeling disappointed. I liked the characters of Rey, Finn and Poe. But that's it. I didn't like anything else. The way the old heroes were played out, the sorry villains and definitely the plot. Yeah yeah, it was an homage to ANH, it was intentional...whatever. None of that worked for me. I saw it one more time in the theater and it didn't get any better. I haven't been able to sit through it since. So my personal answer to this is...

The kicker is, I CAN sit still and rewatch AOTC and ROTS, even knowing that TFA is a better-made movie that does feel more like the OT. TFA just outclasses the PT in every measurable way, especially characters (except Obi Wan, and Palpatine). Yet, I can rewatch AOTC and ROTS. It really bugs me, because I can't figure out why.

...I believe it has to do with how you felt on your first viewing.

I don't think it's fair to say that TFA created a flood of mixed reactions. The reaction to TFA has been overwhelmingly positive.

I'm not sure about that. No one twisted the arms of endless defenders to write articles / post commentary about how TFA was not a Mary Sue film / ANH copy+paste job. If the reactions were largely positive, there would not be a reason for the spate of pro-TFA articles/commentary over the past 12 months. Few ever waste time fighting (what we're supposed to believe is) a little gnat-like group of the dissatisfied.

I started off not liking it so much and with time I appreciate TFA more and more. It's SW! SW is flawed. Life can be inconsistent and messy and insufferable. There is.no.end, problems keeping going, hisyory repeats itself, etc. Kylo Ren wasn't so great? Keep it in the films. Maybe being an emo punk is what turned him to the dark side. Forget about the actor. Everuthing about starkiller base was.lame? Maybe the Resistance felt the same way. Maybe Leia was thinking, gee we blew it up fast this time.

First time I saw Huxs speech, I thought it was cliche garbage. I watched the same speech the other day on YouTube and almost cried. I thought the whole corny dialogue between Finn and Rey sucked. With time I started to.appreciate how young at heart they are.

Regarding AOTC, I.never saw such a good.sleepy movie. If I wanna sleep I put on AOTC

So people writing about liking TFA is proof that people didn't like it?

This doesn't seem mixed:

Rotten Tomatoes: 92%

Metacritic: 81,, "universal acclaim"

IMDB: 8.2

Cinemascore: A, with 98% of audiences giving it an A or B

I'm talking about the people writing for the purpose of defending it. If it's so near-universally loved, there would be no reason for all of those "It's not a Mary Sue story / copy+paste job of ANH" articles. The support should be on their side already. So, why did so many feel the need to defend a film with the numbers you posted?

So people writing about liking TFA is proof that people didn't like it?

This doesn't seem mixed:

Rotten Tomatoes: 92%

Metacritic: 81,, "universal acclaim"

IMDB: 8.2

Cinemascore: A, with 98% of audiences giving it an A or B

I'm talking about the people writing for the purpose of defending it. If it's so near-universally loved, there would be no reason for all of those "It's not a Mary Sue story / copy+paste job of ANH" articles. The support should be on their side already. So, why did so many feel the need to defend a film with the numbers you posted?

I think there is a difference between universally loved and mixed.

I don't think it's fair to say that TFA created a flood of mixed reactions. The reaction to TFA has been overwhelmingly positive.

I'm not sure about that. No one twisted the arms of endless defenders to write articles / post commentary about how TFA was not a Mary Sue film / ANH copy+paste job. If the reactions were largely positive, there would not be a reason for the spate of pro-TFA articles/commentary over the past 12 months. Few ever waste time fighting (what we're supposed to believe is) a little gnat-like group of the dissatisfied.

Also, I'd say that only a small gnat like group of people 1-have any clue, or have even heard the term "Mary Sue" and 2-would be inclined to write about TFA on the internet, be it positive or negative.

TFA just outclasses the PT in every measurable way, especially characters (except Obi Wan, and Palpatine). Yet, I can rewatch AOTC and ROTS. It really bugs me, because I can't figure out why.

Because no matter how bad the PT is technically and even artistically, the overall story of the prequels is far better than TFA, and that's probably what brings you back. Why watch a recycled version of ANH over and over when you've probably watched ANH a hundred or so times previously.

I said from day one TFA would not have much longevity, and I'm seeing all over facebook and youtube that the haters for TFA are growing.

But again my point: anyone who would post on facebook or youtube a full year after TFA was released is not your average, general movie goer. I haven't seen anyone even mention TFA on facebook for 10 and a half months.

I'm not talking about people like that, I'm not talking about people who have "started to notice flaws" because the people I'm talking about have seen the movie once or twice. They are the people who you ask "how did you like the new Star Wars?" "I liked it, it was good" and thats all the thought they put into it. People who post on facebook or especially put a video on youtube about a movie represent what? Maybe 5% of the audience? Tops? 10%? Maybe?

Either way, anyone who would take the time to make a youtube movie about TFA is probably one of those "worst Star Wars ever!! I will only see it 6 more times....Today!!!"

TFA just outclasses the PT in every measurable way, especially characters (except Obi Wan, and Palpatine). Yet, I can rewatch AOTC and ROTS. It really bugs me, because I can't figure out why.

Because no matter how bad the PT is technically and even artistically, the overall story of the prequels is far better than TFA, and that's probably what brings you back. Why watch a recycled version of ANH over and over when you've probably watched ANH a hundred or so times previously.

I said from day one TFA would not have much longevity, and I'm seeing all over facebook and youtube that the haters for TFA are growing.

The only parts of the PT story that were good were the parts already established in the OT-- the rest was pure crap filler. So really, the PT cribbed from the OT just like TFA did. Maybe the PT should have CRIBBED more, and sucked less.

Yeah but everything you just said could be said about the PT.

Only even the average movie goer knows the PT are shit. Just on their own (lack of) merit as films. The script was shit, and the acting (barring a few select scenes) was also shit. And that is a pretty universal opinion. Not just some internet conspirators minority percent. Every person I know personally (except my nephew who is 6) thinks the PT is laughably bad.

Being a SW fan makes you more forgiving of those weaknesses really, because we love Star Wars so much.

Well it all comes down to taste and matter of opinion with regards to the story being good. One thing no one can deny about TFA was that it went way too far in the rehash department, resulting in a pretty much creatively barren film. Despite the **** that was the PT there where lots of things going on I wasn't expecting after many years of speculating what those stories would be like.

It's funny I bumped into an old school friend down the pub a couple of weeks ago who absolutely loved TFA. I remember bumping into him after AOTC was released and back then he loved that film too. He even said at the time that AOTC was better than TESB. Now, 15 years or so later he absolutely despises all of the prequel films and thinks TFA is the best one yet.

I've also had conversations with people in person (who I know in the real world and on Facebook) who loved TFA when they first seen it, now they've gotten bored of it and spotted some of it's flaws.

I read critique a few days ago that said Abrams had relied on nostalgia to capture his audience, and that nostalgia was the enemy of creativity. In this case I have to agree. If they had shown Han Solo taking a dump fans would have reacted in just the same way, it doesn't matter so much about the quality of story telling, some people just want to see Han, Chewie, Luke, The Falcon etc... They want that OT vibe that was missing from the PT.

For me personally, if I want the nostalgic experience I'll watch the old films or listen to the soundtracks.

Looks like Rogue One is going for a more original approach. Thank the Maker.

One thing no one can deny about TFA was that it went way too far in the rehash department, resulting in a pretty much creatively barren film.

I can, actually. TFA gave new life to old tropes by letting a woman go on the hero's journey, by having a defecting stormtrooper be one of the main characters, by having a brash, cocky pilot who's NOT a jerk, by having a villain who's seduced by the light side, etc. etc. In that way, I think it was pretty damn creative.

Also, if you think Rogue One isn't going to rely on nostalgia...have you not seen footage of the Yavin base? All the classic X-wings and TIE fighters? If anything, Rogue One might be even more nostalgic than TFA because it has to recreate the atmosphere of ANH.

Speaking of Rogue One...anyone else see the Ghost in the latest TV spot? :D

Changing the protagonist from male to female is not creative. Neither is throwing in a token black stereotype. Neither is another cocky pilot, (just another variation) and neither is a villain fighting the light side, considering Vader must have been seduced by it too at the end. They did the whole defective Stormtrooper thing about twenty years ago in a game. Kyle Katarn. They've probably done it in Clone Wars or Rebels too.

Of course there will be some reliance on Nostalgia with Rogue One, it's unavoidable, the difference is that 'The Force Awakens' relied on it more than anything else. Nothing but fan service and a retelling of Episode 4 with bits of EU ideas and the other films thrown in.

UGH, yeah, not having the "token black stereotype" argument again.

Lucas - not officially. In the latest TV spot there's a shot of the Rebel fleet over (presumably) Scarif and one of the ships looks like the Ghost. So, of course, Star Wars fandom freaked the fuck out about it. It could actually be the Ghost or it could just be the same model of ship.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUXPjF3lEM4

http://clubjade.net/?p=72079

Only even the average movie goer knows the PT are ****. Just on their own (lack of) merit as films. The script was ****, and the acting (barring a few select scenes) was also ****. And that is a pretty universal opinion. Not just some internet conspirators minority percent. Every person I know personally (except my nephew who is 6) thinks the PT is laughably bad.

Being a SW fan makes you more forgiving of those weaknesses really, because we love Star Wars so much.

That's the thing. My experience is the opposite. It's the "non-SW fans" who are more forgiving. They just saw them as just another movie they watched, enjoyed and moved on. They didn't have all the details of the PT backstory from the OT memorized or anything like that. Consequently, most people I know, both personally, at work and at school all liked the PT. They enjoyed the films when they watched them and don't mind rewatching them form time to time. We have a TV in my office and last week TNT was doing a SW marathon. We put that on and everyone enjoyed seeing all 6 films. No one sat there and complained about acting, story or effects or how the OT said this but the PT showed this, etc. No one grumbled about changing the channel. And my office has a pretty good mix of people.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.