New Rogue One trailer coming Thursday and the return of Bail Organa

Mara Jade Skywalker

Like Krawlie said, it is very rare for movies to use their actual score in a trailer.

Scores can't be made until the edit is locked, so they are one of the last things done for a movie. Even two months out we're likely hearing temp tracks.

Yeah, the scores for AOTC and ROTS were not well done because of that. It always disappointed me at the time that we never got the full score CDs for those movies like we had gotten recently for the special editions and TPM, but as it became increasingly known just how Lucas put those movies together, it was really clear why they couldn't put together such albums.

I've never once thought that what we hear in the trailer is what is going to be heard in the actual soundtrack, I was just stating one of the reasons the trailer left me cold, and I think that's the main one, which shows the value of a good score. I'm not being critical of the film (how can I, it's not even been released) but I suppose I am being critical of the trailer.

TFA first trailer with Luke's voice over worked so well with the OT score. The final trailer had some dodgy arranged versions of Williams classic scores, but they worked better than this.

I wonder if we will hear the Imperial March in this one.

Like Krawlie said, it is very rare for movies to use their actual score in a trailer.

Scores can't be made until the edit is locked, so they are one of the last things done for a movie. Even two months out we're likely hearing temp tracks.

Righto...

Like trumpet player, the music for that trailer though really let it down. For me at least...

My only nit pick, and it is a strange one my behalf....I can't get past Star Wars on a beach. It just doesn't feel right. It freaks me out for some reason seeing palm trees, sand, ocean and storm troopers.

I'm a little late in on the subject, but it's kinda worth noting that there's already BEEN a beach landing battle in Star Wars. The Battle of Kashyyyk in Revenge of the Sith.

Great trailer. I marked out for Vader at the end. The more I see this film unfold the more I can't stand TFA. The Death Star was such a huge deal. It drove ANH and of course will be the central focus of this one. It was bad enough that we got a repeat of it in ROTJ. But to do Super Duper Death Star again in TFA was the laziest thing Abrams and Co could've done.

Then you're absolutely missing the point of this trilogy. Like Tuac said 'shit don't stop'

Member how tired and lazy the destruction of those five planets were. You didn't feel the loss and I'm going with that was done on purpose. It was almost so you can be like 'one planet, five planets...whats the difference?' it purposefully undermines the whole saga that came before it so you can get into the emo spirit of the new trilogy.

My only nit pick, and it is a strange one my behalf....I can't get past Star Wars on a beach. It just doesn't feel right. It freaks me out for some reason seeing palm trees, sand, ocean and storm troopers.

I'm a little late in on the subject, but it's kinda worth noting that there's already BEEN a beach landing battle in Star Wars. The Battle of Kashyyyk in Revenge of the Sith.

Which didn't feel right neither. It for different reasons. I just hate the idea of Chewie fighting in the clone wars.

There may have BEEN a landing on a beach but it DIDN'T LOOK LIKE a beach where I could be laying out having a Mai Tai in front of a cabana either.

If you would have noticed I said it was a strange one on my behalf. It just doesn't feel right to me. Doesn't make it wrong.

That's pretty much the case for almost anything that has fans.

Star Wars fans aren't nearly as bad as people who have been complaining about The Simpsons for two decades.

Star Wars fans aren't nearly as bad as people who have been complaining about The Simpsons for two decades.

Wow, I just googled them and they're on their 600th episode.

Man, there was a time when I could own trivia contests on that show for their first 7 or 8 seasons. But I've seen maybe a handful of episodes since the turn of the century... And yet if I take a look at the greatest episodes of all-time, I've still seen all but one of them them!

• 4 weeks later...

Another trailer with new (and a bit spoiler-y) stuff:

Still more curious than excited (and I think the most recent trailer + this one demystifies it too much), but I might like it more than I think I will (bit concerned about the script, as always)

(as for the general discussion, short answer is that I accepted that, for me anyway, peak Star Wars was in 1980 a long time ago and I feel a lot better for it)

• 3 weeks later...

No one is more critical of Star Wars than Star Wars "fans". Makes a person wonder why they keep making more of them. It's been downhill since 1977. Maybe 1980 if you're generous.

Sarcasm aside, if you look at the productions, you have a lot of bad between the good. What was released between ANH & ESB? The Star Wars Holiday Special. What followed ROTJ? The Ewoks TV movies along with the Ewoks/Droids cartoons. The next new output--the prequels, and TFA--the latter creating a flood of mixed reactions. So to be honest about it, the SW franchise has more hit and miss productions than Star Trek--the franchise once thought to be all over the place in terms of quality.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.