New Rogue One trailer coming Thursday and the return of Bail Organa

Mara Jade Skywalker

Trailer music is so rarely from the film's score. Dialogue recordings are often different. And camera angles. And takes. And it's all out of context anyway. It feels weird to me how often I've posted things like this, especially on geek boards that obsess over things like this.

That's true, but there is a huge library of amazing Star Wars music they could have used instead.

I was listening to some Michael Giacchino video game scores a few years ago (Medal of Honour and Call of Duty) and I thought back then if anyone where to take over from John Williams it should be him, though I'm not so impressed with his more recent film scores. The two scores mentioned above are pretty awesome.

Trailer music is so rarely from the film's score. Dialogue recordings are often different. And camera angles. And takes. And it's all out of context anyway. It feels weird to me how often I've posted things like this, especially on geek boards that obsess over things like this.

That's true, but there is a huge library of amazing Star Wars music they could have used instead.

I was listening to some Michael Giacchino video game scores a few years ago (Medal of Honour and Call of Duty) and I thought back then if anyone where to take over from John Williams it should be him, though I'm not so impressed with his more recent film scores. The two scores mentioned above are pretty awesome.

His Medal of honor music was outstanding. I've never played the game, but we played one of the pieces from his soundtrack in my college marching band, so I went and listened to the original music. The piece we played was originally for a halftime show, but it stayed in our repertoire for years afterward to play in the stands and at basketball games because we all loved it so much.

I haven't heard too much of Giacchino's recent scores other than Jurassic World (which I thought worked well), but a lot of his older work was fantastic. Some of his other standout work that has stayed in my mind is The Incredibles and Lost.

I am interested in seeing what he does with Rogue One.

I think he could do a good job with Star Wars, he's probably the most well suited composer for the job, maybe even more so than Williams these days.

The Prequel soundtracks where quite different in style to the original trilogy but they still sound great. TFA (in my opinion) was the blandest Star Wars soundtrack he's done to date. Hats off to Williams for not taking the easy option and doing the same thing all over again (like the writing team), but a lot of that soundtrack sounded more suited to a Harry Potter film more so than a Star Wars film.

I used to play in a marching band too, (Territorial Army) during my college years (helped supplement my income whilst studying). What instrument do you play ?

Guest El Chalupacabra

Personally, I like the music in the trailer, but just me.

I am actually looking forward to this movie about as much as I did for TFA this time last year. Which is surprising to me, so they must be doing something right.

My last employer (video game company director) said the same thing to me about the Storm Troopers on the beach. It does look a bit odd, but I like odd.

This movie has a lot of elements we've seen in video games (Rogue Squadrun had xwings VS AT ATs, plot and main character seem similar to Dark Forces, KOTOR had a beach, etc), so it's not weird to me. Actually, it's almost TOO familiar, but I still think its cool to see these elements in a live action movie.

I think he could do a good job with Star Wars, he's probably the most well suited composer for the job, maybe even more so than Williams these days.

The Prequel soundtracks where quite different in style to the original trilogy but they still sound great. TFA (in my opinion) was the blandest Star Wars soundtrack he's done to date. Hats off to Williams for not taking the easy option and doing the same thing all over again (like the writing team), but a lot of that soundtrack sounded more suited to a Harry Potter film more so than a Star Wars film.

I used to play in a marching band too, (Territorial Army) during my college years (helped supplement my income whilst studying). What instrument do you play ?

I played the trumpet. I need to start practicing again so I can use the present tense.

The TFA soundtrack has a few good themes in it that have appropriate levels of SWishness, but there are entire segments of the move with completely forgettable music. This is true even with some parts of the soundtrack, but the music completely disappears from the movie at times, which makes me blame sound mixing now more than the actual music. For instance, so much of the final x-wing sequence has barely audible music playing during it despite the nice theme for Poe and the "Scherzo for X-Wings" track on the soundtrack.

Luke names the squadron Rogue after everyone who dies in this movie.

Why would he do that? He doesn't know them.

I bet Rogue was a typo in the ESB script. It was probably supposed to be Rouge Squadron, since that would be consistent with the other color-coded fighter squadrons in ANH.

To be honest, I think R1 looks like it'll be an okay film. But I have no expectations. I don't know what it is.. I can't really put my finger on it, but it just doesn't excite me that much. The cinematography looks amazing though, and I loved the shot on the ground of a City slum looking up as tie fighters scream above and you can see all the different layers of skyline and construction. That was cool. I agree with trumpet player though. Music was shit.

Actually thinking about it, the music is probably why I'm NOT excited about this film that much. The music is the emotional soul of a film, but it works so subconsciously that often we don't recognise that it's the music selling the whole thing to us. When Luke is on tattooine staring at the twin sunset and the score rises as it does, that's some spine tingling, hair standing on the back of your neck, emotive powerful stuff. It sells the whole saga right there. Same as the music in the throne room duel etc.. There are countless times in the saga where the music does it all. Now I wasn't born when most the trailers were out for the original films.. But I'm betting the music was just as strong. But looking and listening to the rouge 1 trailer? It sounds just like ANY other big budget run of the mill blockbuster that tries to stir some feel of grandness. But it falls really flat. The music isn't unique in any way. And I guess in my subconscious it makes me think the film is gonna be like that too. Just another blockbuster. It's just another avengers movie with different costumes. Boring.

I hope the film itself is awesome though, and I hope there is a killer score. I want my hunch to be wrong. Cause visually, it looks amazing.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.