New Rogue One trailer coming Thursday and the return of Bail Organa

Mara Jade Skywalker

I watched TFA again recently, the parts I liked, I liked more, the parts I was annoyed by were worse. Kinda like ROTJ. That said-- it had to play by the SW handbook.

Rogue One, clearly does not have too-- and the new trailer shows that. To see ANH era designs with modern FX and camera work-- I am a-swooning. TFA pushed the envelope, but R1 seems to be mailing it directly to your mom.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Deathstar I was only 140 KM, or 87 miles in diameter. We know nothing of the size of that planet in the trailer, but even if it were Earth-sized, that shot at 1:06 looks about right to me.

Deathstar II was roughly twice as massive as Deathstar I. Endor was a moon not a planet, so that could account for the size difference.

Deathstar I was only 140 KM, or 87 miles in diameter. We know nothing of the size of that planet in the trailer, but even if it were Earth-sized, that shot at 1:06 looks about right to me.

Deathstar II was roughly twice as massive as Deathstar I. Endor was a moon not a planet, so that could account for the size difference.

I was speaking artistically, not realistically. The Death Star has been described as the size of a small moon from the beginning. But all the characters are in awe of its size and it's presented to the viewer as this massive beast that cannot be stopped.

It doesn't look nearly as imposing in that shot. It's dwarfed by the nearby planet. That's what I mean by a mistake.

I still love TFA each time I see it even though it certainly is flawed. It's just a lot of fun to me. :shrug:

I am looking forward to this movie in a different way than I was to TFA. For that, I was excited to see new Star Wars and for the movies to venture into a new era of time and take a different branch of events from everything I grew up reading. Here, I am excited to see a completely new take on Star Wars not focusing on the Skywalkers and a different tone set in the OT era.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I was speaking artistically, not realistically. The Death Star has been described as the size of a small moon from the beginning. But all the characters are in awe of its size and it's presented to the viewer as this massive beast that cannot be stopped.

It doesn't look nearly as imposing in that shot. It's dwarfed by the nearby planet. That's what I mean by a mistake.

Well, in that case, sorry for not reading your mind! Of Course you were talking artistically! :unimpressed:

They kinda need to show the scale being different from Starkiller. I think that is probably why, from an artistic point of view, they made that choice.

Otherwise, we just saw a planet that blew stuff up, so the general audience needs a reminder about the size of the Death Star.

Otherwise you are in danger of general audiences feeling like they're watching the same story a year later.

If there was one thing that really bugged me about TFA, it was that JJ never pushed the envelope with the special effects. Not everything needed to be CG, but CG would have made the world's seem bigger than a back lot set. Rouge One seems to have found that balance like Driver said.

As for the Death Star orbiting the planet shot, I love it. Poe, look out the window of a plane next to you fly. Even artistically you have to take scale into mind. If the Death Star were bigger it would have ripped the planet apart orbiting that close. Wasn't that a beef people had with the Death Star clearing Yavin?

Well, in that case, sorry for not reading your mind! Of Course you were talking artistically! :unimpressed:

What part of "feel so small" and "seemed massive" didn't convey that? Sheesh.

Even if it wasn't clear you don't have to be difficult.

Even artistically you have to take scale into mind.

That's why I mentioned the second Death Star and Endor. Even though it was set against a moon much larger than it, the Death Star still felt large.

There are ways to keep things accurately to scale without making it look small.

If the Death Star were bigger it would have ripped the planet apart orbiting that close. Wasn't that a beef people had with the Death Star clearing Yavin?

I don't believe I've ever heard that complaint before.

I still love TFA each time I see it even though it certainly is flawed. It's just a lot of fun to me. :shrug:

I am looking forward to this movie in a different way than I was to TFA. For that, I was excited to see new Star Wars and for the movies to venture into a new era of time and take a different branch of events from everything I grew up reading. Here, I am excited to see a completely new take on Star Wars not focusing on the Skywalkers and a different tone set in the OT era.

I'm excited to see the EU on screen. :D

I mean, this movie is basically Wraith Squadron in another medium.

That shot at 1:11 is gorgeous. I wasn't too keen on this at first, but I'm just going to say it that I think this will be better than Force Awakens. Just from the trailer I can feel a very palpable sense of urgency and stakes... something I hardly felt at all watching TFA.

Guest El Chalupacabra

What part of "feel so small" and "seemed massive" didn't convey that? Sheesh.

Even if it wasn't clear you don't have to be difficult.

Annnnd you are officially on ignore. I am done with you. I will never respond to anything you post, so let's agree to ignore each other from now on.

I am tired of you being a total tool and just arguing with everyone, just to argue. You seem incapable of having a normal conversation.

Seriously? I'm not doing that at all. It's what YOU'RE doing right now. You were the one who was being rude with sarcasm and the unimpressed smiley over a simple and innocuous comment I made and have now blown it up.

I have no idea who you are or what your deal is dude. If there's any heat between us, it's totally on your end. Check your own behavior.

It's not the size in that shot that bugs me, it's that the superlaser is on the lower hemisphere. I mean, I know how space works (unlike JJ Abrams) but it looks odd.

I didn't notice it until you said that. I watched it at work with some of the others. An actual celestial body with magnetic poles would do that. That's the planet it orbits while under construction. My it exhibits planetary properties when not powered up? That's the extent of my geekdom for the day.

Poe, think of the moon. It sits in a fixed orbit around the earth. It also sits on a fixed axis that it spins on as the earth spins. That's why you get "The Dark Side Of The Moon" So the Death Star is sitting on an axis that keeps the super laser away from the surface of the planet no matter the point in its orbit. Just a little science in our science fiction.

Does anyone think there's an issue with the marketing of this film in regards to the casual viewer? I watched the trailer with my neighbors today and when Vader appeared at the end they said, "oh Kylo Ren now has the Vader helmet!" I had to explain what this movie was. I mean, I don't know what Lucasfilm could do to change that confusion at this point. But it was an akward reaction from them.

Does anyone think there's an issue with the marketing of this film in regards to the casual viewer?

Perhaps. The marketing hasn't really done a good job of explaining exactly what the story is that we're supposed to be seeing. Yeah, the Death Star is there, but it's not clear that this is the same Death Star from the first movie. If you don't know who Mon Mothma is (a casual can certainly be forgiven for forgetting), there's literally no one in the trailers that you can recognize up until that final Vader shot.

It all looks cool to me, because Star Wars is pretty second nature, but I get why it might be confusing to anyone who just watches the movies and doesn't pay attention otherwise.

That said, what we're seeing looks cool enough that casual fans will still probably say, "I'm in," and figure it out during the opening scroll.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.