Record turn out, or record abstaining?

Driver

So whomever wins the Presidency I feel like this election season more than any other has made the masses recognize how messed up our two-party system is-- electoral vs popular, super delegates, how little third parties actually impact things...

Come November I feel like both parties are going to seriously change their policies in the wake of this election. My dream of a legit third party or country splitting up into new unions is never going to happen, but I do think some radical changes are in store.

What I can't figure is, how the actual voting will go to effect such changes. I don't mean who will win, but how many people are going to actually vote.

I feel like the odds are high for mass abstaining given how hated both the candidates are. The Bernie or bust people will throw their votes away or not vote, educated Republicans won't vote for Trump, people who tow their party lines are likely hard pressed to like either candidate. I can forsee a situation where voting numbers hit a record low...

OR

I can just as easily see record turnout with liberals dead set on keeping Trump out, and conservatives just voting to block Hillary.

Maybe Kurgan or Amanda or somebody much smarter about politics on me can forecast what they think is going to happen?

Trump is only predictable in that he will do something unpredictably stupid. He got away with it in the primaries, the general is different. Both candidates have a lot of dirty laundry yet to be sifted. I personally believe accurate predictions are impossible in this cycle. Maybe the week before election I will get a good feel for the flow of things.

Could see it either record turnout or record abstain at this point.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I think given how polarizing both candidates are, I think we may see a higher than average, but not record, voter turn out. There is a lot of apathy to contend with, so that has to factor in, somehow, too. Personally, I am not sure I will bother at this point, because really, I can't stand either candidate, and I haven't felt that my vote is more useless than this election cycle.

I am absolutely disgusted with the way our candidates have been chosen. I have not been big on voting my whole life. I mostly took the Carlin approach, I didn't have anything to do with this cluster**** so I can berate the rest of you for playing the stupid game. But at some point, with the game still being played every cycle for some infuriating reason, you have to try and make a difference somehow. I can't bring myself to vote for these cunts. I hate all of you that play this stupid damned game. I hate myself for thinking I could play it. I vote for the 10th amendment.

Kinda off topic, but not really. You people are suffering severe brain rot. I can walk outside, as I just did, and see my dog chase off a dozen deer just to remind them whose yard their in before he takes his shit. No right or wrong about it, just the way it is. The city is making you brain dead. You have lost touch with reality.

Funny how when I look at politics and gauge the most uninformed, backwards, uneducated and out of date thinking that general leans toward fanatic approacvh to religion, racism, and general idiocy, it's almost always coming out of rural areas...

Really depends on whether the election is close in November. If the polls are still like they are right now, with Clinton up big and the news cycle is still about Trump attacking Republicans and families of dead soldiers, then it'll be low turnout.

But if Clinton falters again, Trump regains traction, or news stories suddenly make the liberal position difficult to maintain again like it was for a lot of July, then suddenly it could be record turnout.

Poe is likely correct, so with the caveat that I am assuming that things don't change at all: we are going to see some huge changes in which votes. We are probably going to see a lot more women show up for Clinton and a lot of people who don't normally vote showing up for Trump. But I think that a good portion of regular voters just aren't going to show up. They're going to be fatigued by the campaigns, see that there's no one they can support and write off third parties.

I've been tempted to that route. Now I'm 90/10 on Mike Maturen (American Solidarity Party) and Trump (because I hate the anti-Trump forces and the fact that they hypocritically use his methods to insult anyone considering Trump)

I'm also curious to see what happens if Trimp bails, which his numbers stay low he'll do so he can proactively avoid being a "loser" and then go on giving appearances for another year talking about how rigged the system is.

Funny how when I look at politics and gauge the most uninformed, backwards, uneducated and out of date thinking that general leans toward fanatic approacvh to religion, racism, and general idiocy, it's almost always coming out of rural areas...

I realized a while back that you are an oversensitive little bitch who takes everything personally, has no sense of humor, and can't recognize a TIC comment without "jk lol" after it. I immediately changed the way I interact with you in an attempt to be less confrontational. It is funny to me that others are able to recognize your weakness and make allowances for it, but you are not.

Also, religion has nothing to do with my idiocy.

I have a great sense of humor. In fact I found this last post of yours freaking hilarious.

You can single me out as the guy who doesn't get you and gets uppity, but check back over any of your threads and I think you'll find no one takes you anywhere near as seriously as you take me, or you think I take you.

You are nowhere near as clever as you think you are.

But hey-- you called me a bitch, so I am SUUUUUPER scared now and will totally back off and not upset your dainty feelings anymore.

I'm also curious to see what happens if Trimp bails, which his numbers stay low he'll do so he can proactively avoid being a "loser" and then go on giving appearances for another year talking about how rigged the system is.

My guess is that he stays in, crashes and burns, then blames everyone but himself for the wreckage.

yeah, exactly. I saw an article recently saying that he might even bail as soon as September which would leave the GOP scrambling to get somebody on the ticket. Again, no matter what happens, there will be something unprecedented about this election.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Nah, I think Trump stays on with no intention of winning, and just trashes republicans running for office, particularly the house and senate, like he currently is doing with John McCain. It's like he is in it to not only deprive the GOP from winning the White House, but also wants to take out as many republicans running for the house, senate, and probably governor.

I'm not a republican so I don't really care for the GOP itself, but that said, I think it is underhanded that some troll candidate can do that. When you have a two-party system, and you have a troll candidate that either just wants to lob a grenade into their own party for whatever reason, or is actually working as a double-agent to actively get the other candidate elected (as I believe was Trump's motive all along to get Hillary elected), that only serves to hurt the ability of the people to choose.

I understand the argument people are saying they want to "take a wrecking ball to the system," but we have to live in this system. People like Trump don't give a f*ck because it doesn't affect them, but for the average person, it's a disaster.

I could see Trump bailing. It's been his MO for a while but if he sticks with it that's one fantastic golden parachute at the expense of tax payers.

I know its silly but man I keep hearing how his staff is suicidal and GOP people are working to get him in line. And I just laugh. This is without a doubt the most fantastic election cycle I've lived through and when I'm in the old folks home I'll tell stories about this dude who looked like he was from Jersey who get a bloc of voters dumber than posts to get him elected and all he could do is say LOOK HOW GREAT AMERICA IS NOW!

Guest El Chalupacabra

I could see Trump bailing. It's been his MO for a while but if he sticks with it that's one fantastic golden parachute at the expense of tax payers.

I know its silly but man I keep hearing how his staff is suicidal and GOP people are working to get him in line. And I just laugh. This is without a doubt the most fantastic election cycle I've lived through and when I'm in the old folks home I'll tell stories about this dude who looked like he was from Jersey who get a bloc of voters dumber than posts to get him elected and all he could do is say LOOK HOW GREAT AMERICA IS NOW!

Honestly, I don't understand why so many people are like "This is such an awesome election cycle."

It really is the worst I have seen in my adult lifetime. And it makes me disgusted. People shouldn't be yucking it up. They should be pissed. Elections are not supposed to be some Howard Stern comedy segment.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.