American Horror Story ?6

Iceheart

All I can say is kudos to the marketing for this year's installment.

I have not watched a full season since Coven and the only reason I watched all of it was because it was set in New Orleans. I had pretty much decided I wasn't going to even bother watching anymore. But the various advertisements and which one is correct, which ones aren't has intrigued me. So I will be tuning in once again.

I... um... what the ever loving heck is going on?

I know the theme is technically "My Roanoke Nightmare" and they're pretty clearly going for a Blair Witch/The Witch kind of thing, but I honestly think it's also going to end up being Murder House East. Those were the Murder House nurses wandering through the Roanoke house. And since the nurse/teeth mobile preview is the real one, I think they're going to be pretty prominent once this gets going.

I have a pet theory that Violet opened up some kind of connection when she tried to do the Croatoan spell in s1. Because the nurses aren't supposed to be able to leave Murder House unless it's Halloween.

... but with ManBearPig? They're super cereal this season, you guys. Super cereal.

Also, this true crime documentary style is pretty awful.

I'm a little mmmmm about it after the first episode. I didn't think it was bad, I'll wait for a few more eps before I decide how I feel about it. There was one part I thought was funny, one of the parts with Lily Rabe, after she was done talking in one of her segments, she just kind of made this funny face for a few seconds until it cut away.

It's interesting to me how my reaction seems to be so different from a lot of people about this episode. I thought it was great and a nice change of pace from what they've been doing with the show. Even though last season was considerably better than the previous few seasons, it still relied way too much on shock value from its sex and gore scenes. I am glad to see that, even if just for one episode (or hopefully at least a few), they turned to more of a suspense focused horror story.

OH HEY SO those murder nurses?

That actually happened in Michigan.

Why, how would I know that, might you ask?

I used to work at that nursing home.

(some 20+ years after the murders happened, and it was very much under a new name and new management and nothing fishy was going on. Also, the murders are Not Talked About.)

No, but how would I know that?

My godmother's mother was a resident there at the time. It's entirely possible I met them when I went to visit her.

Storytelling is funny. I've spent a significant amount of time in the building where those murders actually happened. The building isn't haunted or creepy at all. But I was ridiculously creeped out watching a fictional account on a horror tv show.

I definitely like the start of this season. Tonight's episode had some great doses of creepiness like last week's did and again without having to go completely crazy to do it. I'm certainly up for twists like pulling the floor out from under the documentary format, but I like how it has given this season its own distinct feel so far.

I am disappointed and bored already. This new horror visual technique-the FF .50 second edits with a vibrating head is just effing ridiculous and EVERYONE is using it in EVERY TV show and film. None of this is even remotely disturbing to me. I also really don't get the thing where they use actors to portray people who are actors portraying people. (Documentary style only works if it's a documentary for me)

I am liking the acting quite a bit so I'm sticking around for now.

Two thoughts--

1. What's more American than reality TV

2. 25 years ago Angela Bassett played Cuba Gooding Jr.'s mom in Boyz in the Hood. Now she's playing his sister. Damn she looks good.

I'll always think of her as the actress who should have played Storm! She was such a badass in Strange Days.

• 2 weeks later...

It's going to be super hard for Evan to top the Walt Disney/HHH Holmes pastiche from last year. My favorite AHS line of all time is after Richard Ramirez mumbles something about wanting some of the Colonel's chicken, Peter's response, in very 30's bantering accent "I don't know your military friend, or what his predilection for poultry may be. What I do know..."

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.