The DC Murderverse is looking good!

Driver

The funny part of that is how it looked like we dodged a bullet when that movie fell apart because of the writers' strike and losing some tax break. Fans were so dubious when that movie got fast tracked. Today, we're post-Fury Road and living with the "Murderverse" and the concept of George Miller directing a straight-up superhero team-up Justice League movie where the heroes are already established at the beginning of the movie sounds like a dream.

In fairness, who the hell could have guessed that Miller still had his fastball for an action flick considering his only movies in 15 years were Happy Feet and the Babe sequel? Give Warner Bros. at least a little credit for thinking he was up to it in the first place.

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly, it baffles me. I'm still trying to figure out why WB/DC is allowing their TV and movies to be different universes. Comic folk get it, but casual fans? Unless they are just doubling down and assuming everyone is a multiverse nerd now.

Just moving this over from the Star Trek thread since it dovetails with some thoughts I've been having lately.

I don't really think multiple continuities is a problem for the audience when it comes to the comics. There have been so many actors who have played Superman and Batman (both approaching double digits just within my lifetime) in so many different continuities at this point that it's second nature to even the casual audience these days.

We just finished noting that it's a shame the George Miller Justice League movie never saw the light of day. But that movie was attempted right in the wake of DC's most successful movie ever, The Dark Knight with a whole different actor in the role of Batman and the understanding that Bale would keep the mantle in his own continuity.

I think they were onto something there. I think WB would be wise to drop the idea of a continuous shared universe altogether and just take a shotgun approach. Trying to streamline everyone into one style has been nothing but a nightmare for them.

Were they to ask me, I'd tell them to just take pitches for unique takes on all of their characters. Let Marvel own the shared universe while DC is known for variety. DC can run out multiple versions of their characters. Want a Gotham by Gaslight movie? Here you go. Want Green Lantern/Green Arrow teamup? Tower of Babel? Booster Gold? Kingdom Come? A campy take on The Flash? Red Son? Just keep making the best movie possible and build some trust with the audience. If a particular portrayal or universe is popular, go ahead and cast that actor in other movies. Just keep moving forward, no need for origin stories every new take, we already know these characters, so that they're always fresh with new takes on the characters and audiences get used to them playing with the archetypes that these characters represent.

I don't think they'll ever out-Marvel Marvel like they're trying now. Tying all the characters together into one universe built on Man of Steel (I was okay with one movie like that, but it just doesn't work as the foundation). But if they do their own thing, they could still turn things around.

True enough-- there's certainly been multiple Batman-s at once, just never live action. In live action they have no problem rebooting, but they've never done more than one at a time. We now have two Superman-s and two Flashes. I know the DC multiverse, I'm just surprised they think the average viewer can hang with it. It's a new way of thinking, that's for sure.

Meanwhile Marvel is careful to keep everything in the same universe be it on Netflix, ABC or onscreen.

True enough-- there's certainly been multiple Batman-s at once, just never live action.

Not Batman, but Tom Welling and Brandon Routh were both Superman at the same time. I don't recall any audience confusion about that beyond the occasional Smallville fan that wanted Welling in the movie before it was cast. The viewer confusion in that case came from the murky semi-continuation of the Christopher Reeve films in Superman Returns.

True enough-- there's certainly been multiple Batman-s at once, just never live action. In live action they have no problem rebooting, but they've never done more than one at a time. We now have two Superman-s and two Flashes. I know the DC multiverse, I'm just surprised they think the average viewer can hang with it. It's a new way of thinking, that's for sure.

Meanwhile Marvel is careful to keep everything in the same universe be it on Netflix, ABC or onscreen.

Yeah, but you also have a large part of the viewing audience that either hasn't watched or is interested in the tv shows. Then there is the sect that can separate the two. Until Agent Colson magically appears in another movie, continuity is a moot point.

Yeah, it'd be nice if an MCU film could pay lip service to something happening on Netflix (I don't really care about shield, but I guess them too), but I don't expect it. Spider-man and dr Strange will bith be in New York, so just a line about shit going down in Hell's Kitchen or Harlem would be cool.

Yeah, it'd be nice if an MCU film could pay lip service to something happening on Netflix (I don't really care about shield, but I guess them too), but I don't expect it. Spider-man and dr Strange will bith be in New York, so just a line about **** going down in Hell's Kitchen or Harlem would be cool.

They could have a Trish Walker billboard or something on the side of a bus in one of the movies, at least!

Yeah, but you also have a large part of the viewing audience that either hasn't watched or is interested in the tv shows. Then there is the sect that can separate the two. Until Agent Colson magically appears in another movie, continuity is a moot point.

Exactly; a large majority of moviegoers see movies as the best, biggest version of any filmed entertainment, so when comics are adapted for movies and TV, almost all see the big screen stuff as not only legitimate, but of a class difference forever keeping TV on the back burner of choice.

We're trained to think that way... the first movie is a milestone of growing up, you watch them in a building built specially for the purpose, you pay out the nose for the privilege of doing so, etc... but another reason movies are popular is that their stories are generally contained.

So, say Grant Gustin plays The Flash in a Murderverse flick. Dude's called the Flash, he runs fast. His mom, not named Martha, died in front of him, so he can bond with the other orphans on the League. All things that can be covered with a couple of lines. Want more backstory? The tv show is on Netflix. Don't care that much? Cool, just watch him in the movies. No need for a Flash standalone movie, though, those stories can all be told in the show.

Speaking of those, I saw Civil War before I saw Ant-Man. I figured out pretty quickly that he gets small because Science. I didn't need his full backstory to get his part of the story.

Plus, in our Golden Age of television, respect for the storytelling medium is growing. Granted, CW'S The Flash is a massive cheesefest, and nowhere near, say, Game of Thrones or Stranger Things or what have you. But I think people are getting to the point where this could work just fine.

Long story short, DC doesn't agree with me and my personal feelings on the matter are a moot point. But this is the internet, where we shout into the darkness with no expectation of the darkness answering.

But I will point out the the DC CW shows are delightfully entertaining, while the movies are shitfests. Just gonna drop that there.

Guest El Chalupacabra

We're trained to think that way... the first movie is a milestone of growing up, you watch them in a building built specially for the purpose, you pay out the nose for the privilege of doing so, etc... but another reason movies are popular is that their stories are generally contained.

So, say Grant Gustin plays The Flash in a Murderverse flick. Dude's called the Flash, he runs fast. His mom, not named Martha, died in front of him, so he can bond with the other orphans on the League. All things that can be covered with a couple of lines. Want more backstory? The tv show is on Netflix. Don't care that much? Cool, just watch him in the movies. No need for a Flash standalone movie, though, those stories can all be told in the show.

Speaking of those, I saw Civil War before I saw Ant-Man. I figured out pretty quickly that he gets small because Science. I didn't need his full backstory to get his part of the story.

Plus, in our Golden Age of television, respect for the storytelling medium is growing. Granted, CW'S The Flash is a massive cheesefest, and nowhere near, say, Game of Thrones or Stranger Things or what have you. But I think people are getting to the point where this could work just fine.

Long story short, DC doesn't agree with me and my personal feelings on the matter are a moot point. But this is the internet, where we shout into the darkness with no expectation of the darkness answering.

But I will point out the the DC CW shows are delightfully entertaining, while the movies are ****fests. Just gonna drop that there.

This basically applies to franchises like Star Trek, as well. I feel your pain.

Star Trek is the opposite in a lot of ways. While the movie series was successful and restarted the whole franchise twice now, Star Trek has always been most associated with television and has found its greatest cultural success in that medium.

Plus, in regards to Iceheart's comment about movies generally being self-contained stories, thanks to the whole death and resurrection of Spock storyline, Star Trek 2-4 were, up until DS9, Star Trek's longest continuous story. The television shows usually wrapped up its story and never spoke of the events again unless it was a two-parter.

• 2 months later...

I'm... not all that high on this trailer. Could be a matter of it showing more and possibilities going away, but while the first one got me for the movie, this one just kinda felt like everything else.

Also, that slow-mo scene of the bullet hitting an Amazon immediately followed by the Trevor apparently saving Diana who wasn't in any danger a second ago. That's just weird editing.

Was it just me, or was she flying/hovering above that debris just before we see her with her arms crossed and face covered near the end?

Also, that slow-mo scene of the bullet hitting an Amazon immediately followed by the Trevor apparently saving Diana who wasn't in any danger a second ago. That's just weird editing.

Seems to me like it'll be a German bullet killing an Amazon friend of hers, thereby giving her motivation to join the fight to defeat the Huns

Guest El Chalupacabra

New Wonder Woman trailer! I love that shot of her diving into the ocean, it's beautiful!

That actually looks pretty awesome. Looks like they didn't try to cram too much in, like they have done with Man of Steel, and Batman VS Superman. It will be probably the best DC film since The Dark Knight, if it really is as good as the preview makes it out to be. I hope they keep the Aquaman movie's story simpler like this one.

Kind of a tad disappointed that they didn't set it during WW2 (they probably didn't want to be perceived as "copying" Captain America), but you can still tell basically the same story with WW1, so I am sure it will be no problem at all.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.