The DC Murderverse is looking good!

Driver

I fear for them if they FINALLY make a WW movie and it sucks. Seriously, there will be mobs with pitchforks and torches.

I'll see JL because Jason Momoa will be wet and I'm there for that, but I don't know about the rest of it. And the new Barry Allen had better bring it because I think we're all madly in love with Grant Gustin's take on the character at this point.

I'm REALLY hoping the Wonder Woman works out. The the brief look at her we got in Batman v. Superman was one of the movie's saving graces, and I could never understand why it was so difficult for Warner Bros. to push out a Wonder Woman movie all these years. She can be a great character and her warrior personality, in a lot of ways, translates to film much easier than either Batman or Superman.

Bit of a nit-pick, and it's not really even the movie's fault, but damn if I don't wish they'd gotten Nathan Fillion to play Steve Trevor like in that animated movie. The two takes on the character seem to be somewhat similar and pretty much everything Chris Pine does in that trailer, I look at and think how much better it'd be if Nathan Fillion were doing it. It's going to be perpetually distracting.

Justice League... in some ways Aquaman looks better than expected, but they've still got a ways to go before they'll convince me it'll be worth seeing. One major problem I've got right out of the gates is that Batman is the one doing the recruiting. That right there alone is a major strike against them. I'm a big fan of Batman as the Justice League member who works alone and keeps the League at arm's length until the time comes that, on his own, Batman decides he needs them, or more likely, they need him to save the day.

Having Batman scour the world looking for partners immediately tells me they're starting off in the wrong direction.

Not sure about JL, looks...ehhhhh so far. But it's all recruiting scenes, so who knows?

WW looks hella good, though! Some of the slow-mo stuff looks lame, like that part where she's sliding across the floor but damn how can you not get pumped up after showing her kick ass and it goes into her awesome theme song?!

One major problem I've got right out of the gates is that Batman is the one doing the recruiting. That right there alone is a major strike against them. I'm a big fan of Batman as the Justice League member who works alone and keeps the League at arm's length until the time comes that, on his own, Batman decides he needs them, or more likely, they need him to save the day.

Having Batman scour the world looking for partners immediately tells me they're starting off in the wrong direction.

It's also in keeping with Batman always being the man with the plan. One of the major storylines revolved around the JL discovering he had plans to take down all of them, just in case, and the subsequent loss of trust in him because of it. Considering how difficult Doomsday was to kill, and how Batman was there to witness it, and the fact that he was all but powerless to stop it, if he thinks something's coming that can rival, if not surpass the power Doomsday displayed, he knows he's going to need all the help he can get. As a man with no powers, just his resources, skills and ingenuity, having the metas as backup would be invaluable, and probably necessary to defeat what's coming. This is a Batman who's had backup in the past, so we know he's not averse to it, and I'd imagine any misgivings he may have about recruiting them after what happened to Jason Todd would be mitigated by the knowledge of their powers and abilities.

It's also in keeping with Batman always being the man with the plan.

That's just it. The Batman in my head doesn't go around begging people for help. He's the skeptic who sees League business from a slightly arms-length perspective to keep the League honest. He sets his plans in action for himself and has contingencies even for the members of the League who call him friend. It's not even just me being a slave to my own internal perceptions. Affleck's Batman spent the whole last movie placing the burden upon himself to single-handedly take out Superman. He's self-contained and sees himself as the fail-safe against the concentration of power that the Justice League represents. And now, instead of being a self-appointed check on that power, he's the primary cheerleader for it, even though there doesn't seem to even be an imminent threat? Sorry, does not work.

Recruiting everyone is a job for Superman (unless an immediate crisis throws them together). He may not be the big blue boy scout in this series, but he'll always be a banner the other heroes can flock to. Except they did the silly Death of Superman ploy for no reason at the end of Batman v. Superman.

Batman doesn't gather the troops, he subtly manipulates them into finding each other and plays mysterious benefactor until they need help.

I guess I could live with that. I don't think of Batman as necessarily a manipulator though. Most iterations play him as fairly straightforward as far as his intentions. I think of it as the maniacal drive that makes him Batman. While he has a mind as supremely agile mind, it's left him singularly focused where, when left to his own devices, his methods tend to be direct.

Once again, the Batfleck version seemed to follow this path in Batman v. Superman.

This makes me rage too. I'm so tired of batman being all knowing all seeing all doing all perfect. **** what a boring character.

Perfect? No. Something damn special to stand as a full and unquestioned equal with the gods of Justice League? Yes.

To me, Batman represents the apex of human potential, at least as far as crime fighting goes. He's dedicated his mind, body, and spirit to his personal war against crime. It's why I hated the weak Christian Bale portrayal so much. His drive was nonexistent until Katie Holmes chastised him. Then he goes ahead and quits in favor of depression for the better part of a decade after Maggie Gyllenhaal blows up and literally demonstrates less willpower than a little girl. I wish I wasn't making that last part up.

There are plenty of interesting things to do with a character that is so focused, including the inevitable flaws that come with it. The character's continued popularity is proof that it's not boring. It's also why he's such a good counterpoint to Superman and the Justice League usually. Batman's self-crafted control over every aspect of himself vs. the more normal, more human dilemmas of the other characters who had their powers bestowed on them one way or another.

Of course, with the dark tone of DC's movie franchise, that role has become almost superfluous.

Recruiting everyone is a job for Superman (unless an immediate crisis throws them together). He may not be the big blue boy scout in this series, but he'll always be a banner the other heroes can flock to. Except they did the silly Death of Superman ploy for no reason at the end of Batman v. Superman.

Very good points. The only thing I can think of to defend it being Batman doing the recruiting is that he's the only one who can do it. Flash is friendless and obviously hiding as best he can, Curry has his own agenda (which I think will basically boil down to, fuck humans, you're screwing up my oceans) and will only help those who help him, and in her own words, Diana walked away from humanity. I agree that Supes is the one who should be doing the recruiting, but he's dead, plus it was Bruce that Flash came back to see. I think that in itself is significant, because it means that his reputation as being the man with the plan is still intact in that future, and they know that out of all the members of the League/metas that they could have gone back to communicate with to fix things, it would be him that could do it.

To me, Batman represents the apex of human potential, at least as far as crime fighting goes. He's dedicated his mind, body, and spirit to his personal war against crime. It's why I hated the weak Christian Bale portrayal so much. His drive was nonexistent until Katie Holmes chastised him. Then he goes ahead and quits in favor of depression for the better part of a decade after Maggie Gyllenhaal blows up and literally demonstrates less willpower than a little girl. I wish I wasn't making that last part up.

There are plenty of interesting things to do with a character that is so focused, including the inevitable flaws that come with it. The character's continued popularity is proof that it's not boring. It's also why he's such a good counterpoint to Superman and the Justice League usually. Batman's self-crafted control over every aspect of himself vs. the more normal, more human dilemmas of the other characters who had their powers bestowed on them one way or another.

This is pretty much why Batman has always been my favourite DC character.

That and he's rich and has a cool costume.

A trailer and a teaser from comic-con... and both look awesome. MoS and BvS both had trailers that made them seem amazing too-- but I am cautiously optimistic-- especially for Wonder Woman.

Y--you said something positive about a DC production? I need smelling salts!!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.