Netflix's "Stranger Things"

D-Ray Kenobi

Watch this show.

Netflix has been licensing and producing so many different exclusives lately, it's hard to really keep up with them at this point and filter out which ones are worth watching. Stranger Things is right up there with House of Cards, Daredevil, and Orange is the New Black.

I hesitate to go too deep into details, as I went in fresh based on recommendations from people I trust and have been enjoying the hell out of the ride without knowing what's coming next. But I can safely describe it as a mix of Classic Spielberg filmmaking, Stephen King story tropes, and John Hughes sensibility. It takes the same retro homage approach as Abrams' Super 8 from a few years ago, but arguably does it even better.

Finshed.

So freaking good. My only complaint was that for being so retro-minded, I didn't love that the monster was cg. CG creatures on a TV budget are never great, and I feel like a practical effect would have been better for the retro tone.

Beyond that though, everything was near perfect.

I finished it last night too.

(Potential spoilers ahead if you haven't.)

I was really hoping that this was either going to be a one-and-done thing or an anthology show, but the last few scenes seem to imply that it's setting up some threads for future seasons. I really wish that it had just wrapped most of everything up and have served as a self-contained story. The world building that these eight episodes have set up seems to have been paid off well enough. I just have a hard time seeing how anything else could really add that much. Plus, the three boys and the girl that plays Eleven are going to age out of their charisma in any future seasons as well.

But really, that's just a minor gripe. The rest of it was just bliss. Easily the best new show of 2016 for me by far.

Something else that struck me since finishing it, the girl that plays Eleven gives possibly the best kid actor performance I've ever seen. The only thing I can think of that even comes close to matching it is Elliot from E.T.

The way she carries herself just seems so wise and experienced beyond her years, and she's only freaking twelve years old.

I can't believe no-one has mentioned the best part of the series yet.

Dustin was easily the most entertaining part, me and my partner thought he was brilliant.

EDIT: Also, we totally bought one of today's designs on qwertee.com because it's a Stranger Things design. Check it out.

This show was just awesome. As far as future seasons go, obviously no way to tell if the quality will keep up. But there is obviously alot you can do, I mean the "upside down" is more than just that one town I'd think. The whole world has an "upside down". I'm not going to speculate on what they will do because these guys are obviously far, far more creative than me but I wouldn't dismiss future seasons out of hand.

I love how they flipped the whole "dickhead boyfriend" thing on its ear.

This show was just awesome. As far as future seasons go, obviously no way to tell if the quality will keep up. But there is obviously alot you can do, I mean the "upside down" is more than just that one town I'd think. The whole world has an "upside down". I'm not going to speculate on what they will do because these guys are obviously far, far more creative than me but I wouldn't dismiss future seasons out of hand.

I love how they flipped the whole "dickhead boyfriend" thing on its ear.

Me, too! I thought it was great how Steve

ended up really being a decent guy. I mean really, the two times you see him act kind of douchey, he had legitimate reasons for being so.

Hopper and dDstin were definetely the stand outs, Hopper caring a lot more than how he initially seemed and Dustin for being the voice of reason. Not to mention being the one to point out errors in geek lore! :D

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.