A bunch of new Rogue One info from Star Wars Celebration in London

Exodus

I'm kind of on the fence about it.

I'll obviously go see it opening night, but I am a little apprehensive of the concept of Star Wars standalone movies. I feel like if they stray too much, they could feel like any random genre film with a Star Wars coat of paint on top of it.

Still though, this looks pretty awesome so far.

Gareth Edwards makes it very easy to be excited for this movie.

“Initially there was the feeling that Rebels will be [filmed differently] and then the Empire will be [filmed the old way, static],” Edwards explained. “But as we got going we started mixing it all and it felt a lot better. I was really pleased with the vibe of the film in that it changes gears between those classical—what feels like the language of Star Wars—into something a bit more contemporary and back again. And you’re not jarred by it.

The way I used to try to justify it was that this is a real historical event and George [Lucas] is on Tatooine with his camera crew, we’re on our planets with our camera crew, and there’s filmmakers on other planets with their camera crews. We’re not going to see those movies for a while, but everyone’s making just making their movies and they’ll all have their own little style and voice.”

“The era our film is set in theory doesn’t have any Jedi. But the idea of having Star Wars film that doesn’t talk about the Force [just didn’t feel right],” Edwards said. “If you look at what George was great at, we got a story about one thing, [but] he’s implying a million other things in the background. Ideas that are much wider. And obviously our film is using that and telling a story within it.

But for me it’s like, if A New Hope is the story of Jesus or something, there must be a whole religion beyond that. And it felt like, ‘for a thousand generations’ Jedi were the leaders of this spiritual belief system, there’s gotta be like the equivalent of Mecca or Jerusalem within the Star Wars world.”

Heh, that "making of" video was the most epic "making of" video I've ever seen. I have no idea what it means for the movie, but good work to whoever edited that together.

I'm looking forward to this, much more than I did The Force Awakens. Which is surprising since I didn't feel anything for it when I first heard about the spin-off movies. Outside of those reports of re-shoots, most everything about this movie has at least looked positive. It really does feel like they're exploring deeper into Star Wars as a universe, which I appreciate. The Force Awakens felt so shallow in how it appreciated the universe with all of its retreads and lack of newness. But this movie is simultaneously wallowing in the flavor of Star Wars and going off and doing something different, something the main series doesn't really have licence to do.

Still have to wait and see whether this works out in the end, but I'll buy my ticket for the first showing.

Gareth Edwards makes it very easy to be excited for this movie.

Initially there was the feeling that Rebels will be [filmed differently] and then the Empire will be [filmed the old way, static], Edwards explained. But as we got going we started mixing it all and it felt a lot better. I was really pleased with the vibe of the film in that it changes gears between those classicalwhat feels like the language of Star Warsinto something a bit more contemporary and back again. And youre not jarred by it.

The way I used to try to justify it was that this is a real historical event and George [Lucas] is on Tatooine with his camera crew, were on our planets with our camera crew, and theres filmmakers on other planets with their camera crews. Were not going to see those movies for a while, but everyones making just making their movies and theyll all have their own little style and voice.

The era our film is set in theory doesnt have any Jedi. But the idea of having Star Wars film that doesnt talk about the Force [just didnt feel right], Edwards said. If you look at what George was great at, we got a story about one thing, [but] hes implying a million other things in the background. Ideas that are much wider. And obviously our film is using that and telling a story within it.

But for me its like, if A New Hope is the story of Jesus or something, there must be a whole religion beyond that. And it felt like, for a thousand generations Jedi were the leaders of this spiritual belief system, theres gotta be like the equivalent of Mecca or Jerusalem within the Star Wars world.

I agree. His quote where he ripped Abrams for not having the guts to be creative with TFA was spot on. I like this guy already.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.