The Shootings

Tex

Merida is on my list of Mexico places to visit!

ALSO, journalism is suffering because of the consolidation of jobs within the media. When Clinton signed the Telecom Act of '94, it allowed one company to own almost a dozen outlets in any given city. Those outlets then began slashing jobs and the slashing continues to this day. Seasoned journalists were fired in favor of minimum-wage millenials and now you're hard-pressed to find ANYONE with a true journalism degree in any local news station anywhere. And these people just want to keep their jobs so bigger shares is their top and sometimes only priority. There aren't many news outlets you can trust to tell the truth and research their stories any longer.

ALSO, journalism is suffering because of the consolidation of jobs within the media. When Clinton signed the Telecom Act of '94, it allowed one company to own almost a dozen outlets in any given city. Those outlets then began slashing jobs and the slashing continues to this day. Seasoned journalists were fired in favor of minimum-wage millenials and now you're hard-pressed to find ANYONE with a true journalism degree in any local news station anywhere. And these people just want to keep their jobs so bigger shares is their top and sometimes only priority. There aren't many news outlets you can trust to tell the truth and research their stories any longer.

Here in Alabama, we have a local subsidiary of Advance Media / Conde Nast that controls all of our large market newspapers and their websites. A few years ago, they "rebranded" and started only printing physical copies two or three times a week. The reporting was fine at first, it actually gave them the opportunity to spend more time on more in-depth pieces since they had a longer lead time for the print edition.

But after some of their advertising revenue started drying up, they slowly crawled towards a more Lowest Common Denominator approach. They actually did away with editors and managers altogether and instead utilize a system where they will "review" work of their reporters periodically after the fact. They also repurposed their staff and content, laying off many of the investigative reporters and slimming down their staff to those who would crank out around five articles a day that chased clicks. Much of the online stories that previously had more research and depth went the way of listicles, slideshows, and other empty content with little to no actual value. Recently they've even begun to use "sponsored stories" in which they'll brazenly publish what essentially is advertising copy on behalf of a sponsor, masquerading as journalism.

It's shocking how fast it happened. Three large market print publications went from being well respected sources of peer reviewed information to being a Poor Man's Buzzfeed in the matter of two or three years.

Why does everyone want to move where it is colder? Isn't there a warm option?

The older I get the worse I do in the heat and the better in the cold. I'd move to the pacNW or Midwest or New England if it were feasible.

We'll trade places in 10 years, K?

Here in Alabama, we have a local subsidiary of Advance Media / Conde Nast that controls all of our large market newspapers and their websites. A few years ago, they "rebranded" and started only printing physical copies two or three times a week. The reporting was fine at first, it actually gave them the opportunity to spend more time on more in-depth pieces since they had a longer lead time for the print edition.

But after some of their advertising revenue started drying up, they slowly crawled towards a more Lowest Common Denominator approach. They actually did away with editors and managers altogether and instead utilize a system where they will "review" work of their reporters periodically after the fact. They also repurposed their staff and content, laying off many of the investigative reporters and slimming down their staff to those who would crank out around five articles a day that chased clicks. Much of the online stories that previously had more research and depth went the way of listicles, slideshows, and other empty content with little to no actual value. Recently they've even begun to use "sponsored stories" in which they'll brazenly publish what essentially is advertising copy on behalf of a sponsor, masquerading as journalism.

It's shocking how fast it happened. Three large market print publications went from being well respected sources of peer reviewed information to being a Poor Man's Buzzfeed in the matter of two or three years.

Textbook example.

With the smaller and lower-paid staffs, is the need for ratings. A station must produce to remain alive. And Trump and his handlers have been in the press by exploiting the one thing that makes all this possible: that most people in the USA care MORE about things that elicit an emotional response rather than truth and accuracy.

How many times have you seen blatant lies and bad info on Facebook and tried to insert the correction, only to be ignored in the sweep of false outrage?

No. In fact, I think that the mere idea that its somehow wrong to talk about anything else is what's wrong with America.

You really think the appropriate response to murder is to discuss how the individuals in the media may or may not actually care? Not the victims? Not the killers? Not the circumstances that lead to any of these deaths? But the weather in Mexico?

Come on now. I don't even think you're actually capable of that level of apathy.

Guys. People have died. And we're discussing bias and integrity in the media and differing climates. You think maybe this is what is wrong with America?

Yes, people have died. People do that, you know. Sometimes under tragic and terrible circumstances. Unfortunate, but I tend to think that if it were preventable, we'd have actually prevented it by now. As it is, it's actually better now relative to most of history, believe it or not. Nasty thing, that history.

Politicizing death and tragedy and exploiting it to advance agendas on social media. That is what is wrong with America.

You really think the appropriate response to murder is to discuss how the individuals in the media may or may not actually care? Not the victims? Not the killers? Not the circumstances that lead to any of these deaths? But the weather in Mexico?

Come on now. I don't even think you're actually capable of that level of apathy.

Apathy? No. I'm not apathetic, but there's only so much one can do without dwelling on it.

People died, but that's pretty much what people do. That sounds heartless, but if I only thought about the tragic deaths that I personally encounter, I would be a mindless weeping fool.

It's a self compounding problem. How many white cops do you think didn't have the thought "is some black guy going to shoot me today for what happened on the other side of the country?" over the last few days? Those officers are going to be more jumpy, and more likely to make a stupid racist mistake without even realizing it. Then they are going to be even more hated.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Why does everyone want to move where it is colder? Isn't there a warm option?

Where I live, right now it's 111F. I could use colder!

Black people need new role models. Or actually, they need to go back to the old ones. Who would have looked to a couple rappers affiliated with gangs for positive influence?

http://hiphopdx.com/news/id.39618/title.the-game-snoop-dogg-minister-louis-farrakhan-call-meeting-for-gang-members-to-unite

Good morning world. I hope everyone slept well..... Los Angeles, on behalf of myself @SnoopDogg, & the honorable @louisfarrakhan I want to extend the invitation to all CRIPS, BLOODS, ESE's & all other gang members, major figures & GANG LEADERS from every hood in our city as well as the surrounding cities to our meeting 11am this Sunday, July 17th at 8039 S. Vermont Ave Los Angeles, California 90044 to have the much needed conversation amongst ourselves about our influence on the youth in our respective neighborhoods & how we can serve as better role models to them & the brothers we stand beside daily.... Because the sad truth that no one wants to face is, before we can get OUR LIVES TO MATTER to anyone else... We have to show that OUR LIVES MATTER to US !!!! WE have been responsible for more of the KILLING of ourselves than anyone else by a long shot & the percentages in which BLACK on BLACK, BLACK on BROWN, BROWN on BLACK, BROWN on BROWN murders are so ****ing high verses any other killing of us that it is disgusting & this needs to be addressed & laid to rest !!!!! Don't think we can't change it & better ourselves, lead by example & make our city a safer place for our children.... Because together, WE CAN !!!! I'm asking everyone who will attend: DO NOT bring any weapons or anything illegal. Do not come high or belligerent.. We don't need any HOT HEADS or anyone there for the wrong reasons or you will respectfully dealt with & REMOVED from the building... We will stand as we are, UNIFIED. I'm calling ALL GANGS, of ALL RACES, ALL GROWN MEN affiliated or not & WE WILL STAND UNIFIED SUNDAY !!!! Our numbers are all the weapons we need !!! We do not need to be dumb, retarded or uncivilized Sunday... ALL WE NEED IS EACH OTHER... I will not lead any of you into a trap !!!!! LET'S do the opposite of what we've been doing & show the world that we are MORE than the problem... Thank you - Game

I would love to see this gathering of the gangs turn into a new kind of movement. I doubt it will, but it's something to hope for.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest El Chalupacabra

I don't know how this was missed, but good ol' GW. He is still one f******g odd duck.

What's odd is you have Joe Biden, and he has the decency to look solemn. The Obamas look like they are laughing at Bush and can't help it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.