Admission

Marc DuQuesne

So, I found out today that I am seriously paranoid, and possibly racist.

I was driving home from work and passed a vehicle that was doing 60 in a 65 while I was going 68 across the desert. Didn't think anything of it until they came right back up behind me riding my ass. Then I noticed they had Minnesota plates and I thought "well, that's a coincidence". Then, after following closely a while and moving around in the vehicle way more than I thought normal, they started messing with their sunroof. As soon as the light hit them I could see that they were black. Then the passenger started moving like he was going to stand up through the sunroof.

I am embarrassed to say I damned near shat myself. I almost slammed on the brakes. The guy sat back down almost instantly but I was already making many preparations inside my vehicle at that point. I don't consider myself a racist, but I don't have any idea what the hell was going through my mind today. I guess my paranoid brain told me that I went and pissed people off on the internet for no good reason and somehow BLM found me in the middle of nowhere. I guess I got a first hand look at how people who don't think they are racist can make dumb ass racist mistakes.

So, sorry to any who took offense at my attempt to get people's blood pressure up before actually making a real contribution to the discussion. I don't like coming out with my actual complete views till at least the second page. Part of that terribly annoying "style" I've mentioned. Which really sucks when the thread get's locked on the first post of the second page.

Seriously though, anybody who bothers to figure out where "Marc Duquesne" came from aught to be able to put it together with the "style". Do you people even try to figure out where people come up with their screen names?

Maybe I am just not nearly as interesting as I think.

Edit: added emphasis on "you people". seemed appropriate.

I happen to be in a typitive (don't think that is a word) mood, so I am going to go ahead and qualify my first post. May even be educational to those who come out this way.

In Idaho the common courtesy, on the less traveled highways, is to leave at least 100 yards between you and the vehicle in front of you. We have a crap load of highway and very few vehicles. I don't want to look out my rear view and see anything but asphalt and sagebrush. If you get closer than that you better ****ing pass!

I guess I'm in a really typitive (still not a word, maybe soon though) mood, I'm going to go ahead and qualify my third post. the separation is mostly so you can't see the person in front of you sipping his beer or hitting his pipe. Still, it's a recognized common courtesy.

I guess I missed a possibly important detail, at least in my mind at the time. I keep my hair really short, below a 1/4 inch most times. Many times people will associate me with skin heads because I don't like to do my hair in the morning (plus the whole mail pattern baldness thing, I gave up on hair at 20). I usually wear a hat but in the car I usually take it off, no need for shade and the head cools better without the cap. Added to that I may be 36 but I look like I'm 20. So I look like a skin head.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Not to jump in on her side, but that was kind of uncalled for. Even she isn't even that much of an attention whore.

Amanda is that you?

Nah. :)

Truth be told, I haven't been around much lately, and that is partly by circumstance (been busy) but also partly by design as well. Honestly, the number of people I enjoy talking to here has dropped precipitously and has gone down even more in recent weeks. Unfortunately, the remaining folks range (for the most part, not everybody) from a disinterested "meh" to outright annoyance.

I do have quite a few thoughts on recent events, but decline to elaborate. Certainly not publicly (a la FB or what not), but not even anonymously, such as on this board. I've realized this has become very much an "us vs. them" type of thing, where people on both sides have staked out their position and are unwilling to consider other perspectives nor any degree of nuance. Since I live in the world of nuanced opinions, this is obviously a problem for me. I find it's quickly become the abortion debate- people have their "side," reason gives way to emotion, and that's the end of it.

As such, I have no interest whatsoever in discussing recent events. I do however, have interest in watching some Netflix and finishing this bottle of whiskey, which is precisely what is going to happen now.

Nuance? No wonder you moved.

The sinner/saint dichotomy is the primary focus of American culture right now, and I don't know that anyone is safe from it. I even fall victim to in by vilifying those who engage in that way of thinking. This is no different. People have made up their minds, they've heard from the side that they already agree with, and there's absolutely no interest in even pretending to listen to the other side.

Amanda is that you?

Nah. :)

Truth be told, I haven't been around much lately, and that is partly by circumstance (been busy) but also partly by design as well. Honestly, the number of people I enjoy talking to here has dropped precipitously and has gone down even more in recent weeks. Unfortunately, the remaining folks range (for the most part, not everybody) from a disinterested "meh" to outright annoyance.

I do have quite a few thoughts on recent events, but decline to elaborate. Certainly not publicly (a la FB or what not), but not even anonymously, such as on this board. I've realized this has become very much an "us vs. them" type of thing, where people on both sides have staked out their position and are unwilling to consider other perspectives nor any degree of nuance. Since I live in the world of nuanced opinions, this is obviously a problem for me. I find it's quickly become the abortion debate- people have their "side," reason gives way to emotion, and that's the end of it.

As such, I have no interest whatsoever in discussing recent events. I do however, have interest in watching some Netflix and finishing this bottle of whiskey, which is precisely what is going to happen now.

PLEASE don't ever leave me

Hey Marc, what was your old username in your Lando posting days years ago? It's bugging me that I can't remember.

I kinda suspect the unfortunate answer to your real question is; Yes, I'm that same dumbass that wasted so much time arguing with "RevRoswell".

Half-Dark

The sinner/saint dichotomy is the primary focus of American culture right now, and I don't know that anyone is safe from it. I even fall victim to in by vilifying those who engage in that way of thinking. This is no different. People have made up their minds, they've heard from the side that they already agree with, and there's absolutely no interest in even pretending to listen to the other side.

What is this "right now" business? Wasn't the founding incident in colonial American history the Salem witch trials? How little has changed!

What is this "right now" business? Wasn't the founding incident in colonial American history the Salem witch trials? How little has changed!

Its cyclical. Tends to go away during periods of strife - i.e. immediately following 9/11. Also, historically it has focused a bit more on a single group - witches, Communists, Japanese, Africans. Now there are no boundaries whatsoever. We've reached our goal of an open society by hating everyone.

Its cyclical. Tends to go away during periods of strife - i.e. immediately following 9/11. Also, historically it has focused a bit more on a single group - witches, Communists, Japanese, Africans. Now there are no boundaries whatsoever. We've reached our goal of an open society by hating everyone.

There is no racial bigotry here. To me, you are all equally worthless!

..not as much as I hate you for soiling this thread with Hayden Christensen's bad acting.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.