Okay so we know the ending of Rogue One...but do we really?

Exodus

Guest El Chalupacabra

Then that would make the Rebels a bunch of dicks.

I like the idea of the good guys losing at the end.

I wouldn't mind Tank's idea at all, it sounds great. You almost have to have Jyn be the last spy standing and have her do something incredibly ballsy, clever, or downright defiant to get those plans where they need to be. I think overlapping the stories would be a cool way to cement the idea that it's the same universe.

Look at Episode III, that wasn't exactly a happy ending. Main hero isolates himself to protect the children of a dead mother and an evil father. That's bleak, but it's okay to be bleak when you know what comes next and you know it's good. Vader can go total asshat mode and be brutal about it. Every member of that team can die. Knowing their mission is a success and that the Empire is going to get theirs when all is said and done, because of these dead spies, makes their sad ending a nice investment. Might even sweeten the pot when you go and re-watch episode IV afterward.

Max Landis wants to see Vader execute Forest Whitaker's character for good measure. That might be doable, but I'd say he's more likely to die on the surface of whatever planet we see him on than out in space on an Imperial cruiser.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Yeah I wouldn't count on it

What?

What about TESB. Luke almost gets eaten by a Wampa and almost freezes to death. Echo base was destroyed, and rebels were forced to flee. Lando is forced to betray Han, Leia, and Chewie. Han Solo is Frozen. Luke get's his hand chopped off and finds out Vader is his dad. Luke, Leia, and Lando narrowly escape, only because of R2D2. That was definitely not a "Good Guys win in the end," movie. It was the best Star Wars movie made.

Or ROTS. Nobody won in the end, except the Emperor. I know you weren't a fan of the PT, but that was the best of the PT movies for a lot of fans.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Yeah. And I agree.

The only plot point I wouldn't be on board with is the Rebels knowingly setting up Jyn and company to fail. Especially if Jyn and company didn't know they were set up as a decoy. I am all for shades of gray, but making the Rebel Alliance look as bad as the Empire is going to far.

I'd rather the Rebels lose honorably, than win dirty.

ESB and ROTS are not stand alone stories.

ESB was the second act of a bigger stories. The good guys are always down at then end of the second act in any story. It's just that in this case it was broken out into its own movie.

ROTS is the midpoint of the saga, and as much, also plays be those sorts of rules-- plus it had to dovetail to the set up for ANH, which was that the Empire was in power

Rogue One, as the first stand alone feature in Disney's flagship product may have a grittier tone, but it is still Star Wars. It's still essential that it sell toys and now get people to theme parks. It may be dark, it may have a body count, I myself say everyone could die-- but they aren't going to fail.

Guest El Chalupacabra

ESB and ROTS are not stand alone stories.

ESB was the second act of a bigger stories. The good guys are always down at then end of the second act in any story. It's just that in this case it was broken out into its own movie.

ROTS is the midpoint of the saga, and as much, also plays be those sorts of rules-- plus it had to dovetail to the set up for ANH, which was that the Empire was in power

Rogue One, as the first stand alone feature in Disney's flagship product may have a grittier tone, but it is still Star Wars. It's still essential that it sell toys and now get people to theme parks. It may be dark, it may have a body count, I myself say everyone could die-- but they aren't going to fail.

You're not wrong about them being part of a greater story, but when TESB and ROTS are taken as movies by themselves, the good guys lose. Lose the battle, but go on to win the war.

You are forgetting that if Rogue One is a hit, you can bet your ass there will be additional acts, too (Edit: that's how the franchise got started after all...plus who knows, maybe it will become the Prequels we SHOULD have had? Eh? Probably not! but here's to hoping!). And when you look at it as part of the greater star wars story, it definitely is as part of it as the other movies. It may not be about Skywalkers per se (but it is when you think about it, because it has Vader...he's just probably in the back ground more, like the OT), but it is also about the Rebels. So looking at it that way, everything you can apply towards TESB and ROTS, applies to Rogue one, too. And vice versa.

Rogue One will totally get more of it is a hit-- which, if they are hoping for, then it's even more likely the team survives and wins.

It may take plac in the middle of the saga, but no way do they start their big expansion with a message that says LOOK AT THESE NEW PEOPLE AND WATCHBTHEM FAIL!

That's just bad business.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Ha! I contradict myself!

Rogue one to me is like the Dirty Dozen in space. It's possible to have some team members die. It's even possible to fail in the mission, but succeed in secondary objectives, so it "feels" like a win. Or at least succeed enough of one that the Rebels would have the surviving members go on another mission, but the Empire wins a Pyrrhic victory.

One thing I think would be cool is if Rogue One does get a sequel, I'd like to see the team sent on a mission to assassinate (or try to assassinate) Grand Moff Tarkin. So, Driver, if you end up being right and Rogue one has a happy ending, maybe Rogue One part 2 (or Rogue Two? Ha!) could be the one where the good guys lose and fail in their mission.

They can't fail.

"It is a period of Civil War. Rebel spaceships, striking from a hidden base, have won their first victory against the Galactic Empire.

During the battle, rebel spies managed to steal secret plans to the Empire's ultimate weapon, the DEATH STAR...."

So, yeah. I'm okay with them messing with expectations, but please don't pull a George and mess with what's presented as canon in the films.

I'd be super happy if Grand Moff Magneto is chasing down Jyn's team through the movie, and near the end they escape. Vader steps in, kills him and wipes out half the team.

Some last ditch Hail Mary allows Jyn to escape--Vader chases her down. In the final moment, the Tantive gets in range and she transmits the plans.

In order for Leia to escape, Jyn sacrifices herself to slow Vader down. She dies, the Tantive escapes, Vader gives chase.

Sounds good to me. Reminds me of the way they ended the Thing prequel. A lot of people hated the movie, and I understand why, but the way they ended it with the Swede going after the dog in the helicopter, using the same Morricone score, to set up the original Thing was awesome.

I am surprised at the number of people who believe they must fail, or they must die. They actually must SUCCEED.

They have to steal the plans, and successfully either transmit them somehow, physically get them to Leia, or hide them using a dead-drop technique or something.

They don't necessarily have to die, either. "I have traced the rebel spies to her. Now, she is my only link to finding their secret base". Now, it's very likely they could all get killed, sure, but it's definately possible they got away from the empire after they handed the plans off, and headed back to the hidden rebel base.

When blitzing the quarterback, if he hands the ball off to the fullback, your job then is to tackle the fullback.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.