Okay so we know the ending of Rogue One...but do we really?

Exodus

• 2 weeks later...

Non-franchise movies establish characters, make us love them, then break our hearts by killing them within a single film. So if the writing is of quality, they could do it.

The difference is that most non-franchise movies are single films that have no reference (or responsibility) to other movies (think Autumn in New York), so the impact is great. Its self contained--no one knows where its going, as everyone did with the prequels.

Sure-- but my point is, a decent writer can give you a satisfying character with a beginning. middle, and ending in 120 pages. While the fact it is SW does beg for everything to fit into a larger mythology, it shouldn't be impossible to give us some one-offs that we can enjoy.

Yes, this story could easily be confined to this movie alone. Knowing it's just a part of a larger story. End with Jyn beaming the plans to the Tantive and either escaping or dying.

Personally I think she should die, they all should. Sacrifice for the larger good. The problem with her living is we never see her again. So they would establish she is a strong character, only to have her just dip at the end? Would be weak in my opinion. End it with the crew of the Tantive receiving the plans and handing the info to Leia.

i don't understand that argument at all. We barely see the leaders of the Rebellion, why would we believe we see everyone involved?

i don't understand that argument at all. We barely see the leaders of the Rebellion, why would we believe we see everyone involved?

That's fair. But given her importance, it would stand to reason she would have been involved in the attack on the Death Star. Directly or indirectly. Then again I suppose I could apply the Mon Mothma factor. She is obviously at the rebel base in R1, then we don't see her again until ROTJ. So I guess it's possible she lives and is hanging out somewhere off camera.

It's just a natural problem by telling stories out of order. You introduce characters and technology that disappears and reappears simply due to the nature of telling stories like in this manner.

Perhaps it's because I was very young (and probably didn't really know what a spy actually was), but I never really thought the "rebel spies" that beamed...whatever were part of the actual rebellion soldiers. I figured they were NON rebels. Maybe they were imperial traitors or perhaps regular workers, rebel sympathizers...whatever. They were probably dealth with by Vader, but could have ran away or something,

Besides, if they were actual rebels, it would make Vader's dialogue awkward and weird when you retcon the movies. But then again...it's Star Wars. lol

It just makes that one line from ANH kind of awkward. That is all.

It's like saying the type of pet you own is a barking dog. All dogs bark, so the clarification is unnecessary and awkward. It's just called a dog. If the spies were the actual rebels, it would be more natural to say "beamed to the ship by rebels". You don't need to say they are spies. The line still makes sense, it's just a little clunky now that the spies are in fact rebels (versus doing a job FOR the rebels).

Yes, this story could easily be confined to this movie alone. Knowing it's just a part of a larger story. End with Jyn beaming the plans to the Tantive and either escaping or dying.

Personally I think she should die, they all should. Sacrifice for the larger good. The problem with her living is we never see her again. So they would establish she is a strong character, only to have her just dip at the end? Would be weak in my opinion. End it with the crew of the Tantive receiving the plans and handing the info to Leia.

Well that's not going to happen because then she can't be Rey's mom and nyah.

In-universe maybe, but for the audience the crawl and the blockade runner scenes had to tell us everything we had to know about galactic politics and The Alliance. I think it was masterful.

BOTHAN spies as opposed to OUR spies is way more confusing.

How many times have we heard "Russian spies" or "Chinese spies" or "North Korean hackers?

Rebel spies matches how we frequently speak.

Yeah because there's SO MUCH conversation happening these days we can afford to be choosy.

Of course "This topic is not worthy of our time" is code for "You actually made a good point but now I'm irritated so I'll never admit it, so lemme get out of this by changing the conversation"

Like I said way up there, it's not a big deal. It doesn't mean your precious movie sucks. It's just something that's true. We can move on.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.