2016 Summer Olympics

Ms. Spam

They were definitely chanting Aly then.

My favorite crowd sound moment came during the medal ceremony for Phelps tonight. Someone in the crowd yelled "O" during the national anthem, though it was just barely audible on tv. Phelps started cracking up right after that through the rest of the ceremony. The commentators were wondering what made him laugh. They clearly don't follow sports in Baltimore.

It was awfully nice of Facebook to spoil the outcome of the women's gymnastics competition

In fairness, that wasn't much of a spoiler. They're so ridiculously far ahead of the field that one of them would literally have to suffer a catastrophic injury to lose. And that's only if it happened early in a routine.

Also, holy ****, the gymnastics team is made of cylons. No wonder they're so good.

I laughed a couple nights ago when her Simone Biles grandparent said, without an ounce of irony, that she was jumping around like all little kids. And there's video of her doing backflips in the middle of a hall like it's nothing.

Oh, I know they're so good that it wasn't a shocker or anything to read that they won, but it really did rob the event of any tension as a result. If I had just seen it on any post on Facebook or on the sidebar (as I later did, not that it mattered at that point), I would have viewed it as my fault completely for browsing it, but to put it front and center at the prompt for writing a post is pretty absurd. I really don't get why they did that for this event, but not others. Oh well.

I watched some of the US's rotations a few times because I couldn't believe just how good they were. It just seems crazy that people can pull off some of the routines that they did.

It was awfully nice of Facebook to spoil the outcome of the women's gymnastics competition

In fairness, that wasn't much of a spoiler. They're so ridiculously far ahead of the field that one of them would literally have to suffer a catastrophic injury to lose. And that's only if it happened early in a routine.

Also, holy ****, the gymnastics team is made of cylons. No wonder they're so good.

I laughed a couple nights ago when her Simone Biles grandparent said, without an ounce of irony, that she was jumping around like all little kids. And there's video of her doing backflips in the middle of a hall like it's nothing.

Fixed that for ya.

I completely forgot Nightly had a Sports forum that I could talk about the Olympics in!

I'm completely in awe of our women's gymnastics team. I've seen their floor routines probably a dozen times each. They're inhuman. Like the people on American Ninja Warrior. Also inhuman - Chinese synchro divers.

Also, rugby just might be my new favorite team sport. Why don't we do this on Sunday afternoons?!?

Fixed that for ya.

Saw that was the latest outrage du jour this afternoon. Grow up world!

Also, rugby just might be my new favorite team sport. Why don't we do this on Sunday afternoons?!?

Near as I can tell, that sport has no actual rules, it's just kill the man with the ball. Though it does amuse me that it occasionally mixes football and cheerleading with those human pyramids.

BTW, one of the cuter aspects of the women's gymnastics team is that, even though they jump around like Cylons, whenever the camera's pointed at them as a group, they're just gabbing like girls at a slumber party. Their scores get posted and they barely look up before continuing to just talk about whenever little thought is floating through their head about how they feel being in this competition (I'm willing to bet they wish they could take back the "vomit" discussion from preliminary night).

I bet the girls had no idea NBC was going to basically show them talking to each other on the set with Costas while they showed the tape of the medal ceremony.

I still loved it when the Ravens paused their preseason game to watch Phelps.

Track and field starts today. It's supposed to rain today so I guess I'll stay in and watch Ledecky beat the pants off other swimmers, track start and just basically be a couch potato who thinks I could exercise today.

I wish they'd show track events other than running.

I wish they wouldn't show so many qualifying races for both track and swimming period. I get a few glamour events like the 100m, women's gymanstics, Phelps, and Ledecky, but they could have fit in a few quick recaps on other sports during a lot of these qualifying swims in events that don't have as much interest. I doubt the 400m qualifying during the first hour was a huge ratings grabber.

Problem is that NBC is focused like a laser on sports where Americans do well. And, that's more or less just swimming, beach volleyball, and gymnastics so far. I don't remember the coverage being so monolithic back when I was a kid. Maybe they think that they can get away with it because they show the other sports on other channels.

I fell asleep earlier, but fortunately woke up just in time to watch Phelps' last race. The first and last legs by the Americans were outstanding!

Always nice for the first guy on your relay to set a world record.

It's weird how they talk about strategy and stuff in regards to these relay races. Who's going where and how they fit together. It's a relay, not rocket science. Whichever four swimmers go the fastest are the ones that go in the pool guys. If you're thinking goes much beyond that simple equation, you done messed up.

We'll see. They certainly aren't taking things as seriously as they did in '08 or '12 when LeBron and Kobe set a standard of making the gold a mission and they spent their off-years getting the team prepared. This time, most of the best players deferred, the team just came together recently and are pretty young, and it seems like the players are spending a whole lot of time traveling around watching all the other sports instead of preparing. Simple fact is, Team USA isn't nearly dominant enough to steamroll other teams with that attitude.

But it is their vacation. If they're at the Olympics to soak up the atmosphere, who am I to argue? They're the ones that showed up.

The team just sort of fell apart over zika and people getting out so I'm thinking they're just half-assing it. They were at the midnight beach volleyball venue rooting the women's team. They were at the swim finals in the evening. If they win half-assing it, it'll be amazing.

In other news I am rooting Torie Bowie on this morning in her heats. I like seeing someone other than a Jamaican win.

We'll see. They certainly aren't taking things as seriously as they did in '08 or '12 when LeBron and Kobe set a standard of making the gold a mission and they spent their off-years getting the team prepared. This time, most of the best players deferred, the team just came together recently and are pretty young, and it seems like the players are spending a whole lot of time traveling around watching all the other sports instead of preparing. Simple fact is, Team USA isn't nearly dominant enough to steamroll other teams with that attitude.

But it is their vacation. If they're at the Olympics to soak up the atmosphere, who am I to argue? They're the ones that showed up.

This is why Olympic basketball is a waste of time. I've said it before but the Olympics should be reserved for sports where the Olympic Gold Medal is the highest honor in that particular sport.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.