2016 Summer Olympics

Ms. Spam

I've always wanted to get into the Olympics but found it impossible to do so. What was the one place they went to that's now an abandoned stadium? Thing looks like an ancient ruin but it's less than a decade old. It's just sad.

HA! What about the LA stadium?

Greece's parks are the worst hit because of financial whoas. But I think the saddest for me was Turner Stadium from Atlanta was blown up to make way for the new field the Braves play in. I worked those Olympics and at Braves games.

The Bird's Nest and the Aquatic stadium in China were actually converted to other uses so they're still relatively okay but some unused parks like the volleyball stadium are sad.

HA! What about the LA stadium?

Greece's parks are the worst hit because of financial whoas. But I think the saddest for me was Turner Stadium from Atlanta was blown up to make way for the new field the Braves play in. I worked those Olympics and at Braves games.

The Bird's Nest and the Aquatic stadium in China were actually converted to other uses so they're still relatively okay but some unused parks like the volleyball stadium are sad.

The LA Stadium?

You mean the Coliseum that is like 80 years old and still the home to the USC Trojans and the temporary home of the LA Rams? Seems like that one worked out pretty well.

Jeez. I am jealous you get Fallon commercials. In my corner of the world we get ambulance chaser lawyer commercials for The Texas Hammer.

Also the new swimmers are indeed fantastic, Lucas. Did you see the South African throwing shade on Michael Phelps in the wait room before the race for butterfly? How'd that work for you DeClos?

Jeez. I am jealous you get Fallon commercials. In my corner of the world we get ambulance chaser lawyer commercials for The Texas Hammer.

I'd prefer the lawyer commercials to having Fallon and Will Ferrell (in drag) doing jokes about exercise. Or singing about tight pants with whoever.

Screw Jimmy Fallon.

You already knew they sucked today when they didn't bother showing anything until near the end of the evening. Though it annoys me that they don't show the countries that are actually doing well. It's basically just the Americans struggling. Think everyone would be happier if they focused a bit less on that.

Yeah, it is absurd that they basically showed nothing of men's gymnastics. When beach volleyball came on, I figured I had maybe missed the gymnastics coverage before I turned it on this evening, but clearly that wasn't the case. They are doing a horrid job with so much of the coverage this time. I understand that they wanted to show swimming and that volleyball team in prime time since they were all live, but don't plan on showing a taped event in the same block when it takes a long time.

So apparently there was a little drama last night for the men's gymnasts. The Ukraine took 0s for several of their events on PURPOSE. And it was over the way they do the team final competition. And people are taking to twitter to go OMG! What the hell Ukraine. You can't field three gymnasts on each apparatus. UH, they've been invaded by Russia and have been going through some things...

The streaming sucks sometimes for me. They give you 30 minutes of free unsigned in viewing. My Mom is a dressage horse rider and I'm watching these events for the horses on my tiny phone. Sometimes I skip NBC.com and go to the rio2016.com website. I think NBC's coverage gets worse every year.

Continues to baffle me that NBC elects not to show things like the gymnastics team final on USA/Bravo/MSNBC live and then rebroadcast highlights or in full on tape delay in the evening. Why do I have to stream it?

The idea is that they wanted to save it for primetime for big ratings. Unfortunately the American team tanked and they essentially dropped it from the evening's lineup.

I guarantee you that if they'd won the gold, it would have dominated the first hour of coverage instead of synchronized diving. There would have been vignettes, complete coverage of the their main competitor (as opposed to last night where they literally just showed a few Japanese dismounts), and the medal ceremony would have been played in full. Even if they'd just managed a bronze or silver they would have cut back to them throughout the night. But the guys just had a lousy night and took themselves out of contention in the first two rotations. The execs said "boring" and didn't even start showing the tape until nearly midnight.

Really, that coverage was downright shameful. I can appreciate that, yes, the Americans draw the ratings. But if the Americans aren't competing, at least alter the coverage to show some of the actual competition going on while they're struggling. That's GOT to make more entertaining television.

Continues to baffle me that NBC elects not to show things like the gymnastics team final on USA/Bravo/MSNBC live and then rebroadcast highlights or in full on tape delay in the evening. Why do I have to stream it?

The idea is that they wanted to save it for primetime for big ratings. Unfortunately the American team tanked and they essentially dropped it from the evening's lineup.

I understand that perfectly. I disagree with their apparent contention that if they aired it live on Bravo at 3:00 that it would in any significant way impact the ratings when it's re-aired in all it's prepared broadcast glory at 8pm or whatever.

You just have to remember that NBC packages the Olympics for non sports fans, they make it a tv show. To them they look at Mens Gymnastics like this: they were pitched a show, they loved the concept and were ready to give it a great time slot. Then they got to the ending of the script and they hated it, so instead they aired it at 9 PM on a couple Saturdays in the summer.

It was awfully nice of Facebook to spoil the outcome of the women's gymnastics competition. I don't mean simply having a link over to the side that is automatically generated from posts, but a report front and center asking me to comment about it.

Yeah, I have to run FB silent until late at night. Only Tami posts.

I'm rather enjoying these Olympics despite the weirdness though.

I can't copy the picture but go to google, search for Rio Olympics and then go to the table tennis one and click on the "womens singles finals" and wait for the best picture yet of the Olympics. Those table tennis people have fantastic faces.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.