So, I'm Changing My Mind on Gun Control

monkeygirl

Your stance doesn't bother me-- it actually makes a lot of sense. I've often wondered about the idea of structuring gun laws according to environment/geography.

It's your tone and rhetoric that hit me as somewhat scary.

I've been told my style is an acquired taste. It is a long hard road grinding through some of the annoying, offensive, and downright silly things I post. But if you don't stick with it, and meet me half way, you'll never truly be able to hate me the way I properly deserve.

I like this guy.

I've always lived in suburbia. My dad owns 3 guns: a .357, a 16-gauge (yes, 16) shotgun, and a black powder rifle. He likes to hunt. And by hunt, I mean hang out with his buddies in the woods and drink beer. Having guns in the house makes me anxious, but we're talking about taking them soon because my dad's wife wants them gone because her son is battling anxiety and depression. My dad wasn't very good about prevautions, but he didn't really leave them lying around either. We're going to get a gun safe but I doubt we'll even get ammunition. My husband likes target shooting, but you can't get ammo for the 16 and storing black powder just seems like a bad idea.

In preparation for all of this, I've been investigating state gun laws. And boy are Washington's laws dumb. A friend told me the concealed carry law is such a joke that most states won't recognize reciprocity. Despite having supposedly very strict gun laws, it's more that they want a cut of the money on gun sales by making you go through a dealer. I can't figure out if I need to actually register myself or the guns. Gun control is a joke, even here in one of the supposedly strict states. My dad is baffled as well, because he's been a responsible owner and registered himself with his own state.

Yet somebody who has spent time in Eastern Washington or Oregon (or even Tennessee in the 1960s) has not seen Idaho.

If you have never been stalked by a wolf or cougar getting the mail at the end of your half mile driveway you simply cannot understand.

Dude, that happens in CITIES in Western Washington here

But yeah-the state is very divided and we have issues every time we have to vote on something that only serves one side of the state. All our power is in Seattle and we frequently vote to ignore the wants and needs of the rural part of the state. Sometimes I wonder if some laws should be for regions rather than states or cities. I'd hate to create yet another division, but it makes so much more sense to let Idaho and Eastern WA and Eastern OR vote on things like gun control separate from the city folk.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.