Ben Solo's Fall to the Dark Side

Darth Wicket

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone in my theatre gasped, and then fell completely silent.

Pfft, sure. You know, you really don't have to make everything so much bigger than life about the movie in order to defend it. It doesn't enhance your credibility, it eviscerates it.

I know I'm late to the game here, but keep in mind the setting. First showing on Disney property. It's nerd central. Mara and I were at the same midnight showing of Episode 3, and I had to tell the person next to me to stop reading the opening scroll out loud. And this was before Disney owned it and all the Disney nerds decided they needed to get overly excited about Star Wars, too.

It wasn't Mara, but I'm sure the person next to her had to tell her to shut up too. ;)

Back to terrible sexual puns, please.

• 2 weeks later...

This thread kinda influenced me to question why Leigha and Han felt they had to pay tribute to Obi-wan. Really what mafe them go for Ben.

Anyway I remember sitting in the movie theater thinking he changed his name to Kylo Ren because he hated his original name so damn much. That was honestly my first reaction

When I was a kid, my dad had a friend named Louie. Louie was the kind of guy a dad wants to have as a friend: good enough with kids, but single and able to spend money on expensive toys like jet skis.

Well, a long time later I had a son and named him Louis and it has shit to do with that guy.

• 3 months later...

Oh you called him Jar Jar, that's so clever.

Thanks, but I can't take credit for it. I got it from other people on this forum.

Hopefully someone buys the Blu-ray again and let's us know because from that excerpt it sounds like he wasn't sure what the character's motivations were. Odd seeing as how he is killing off a major character.

But trumpet is right. The real reason is that Ford told him to and so Abrams complied and then came up with that shoddy excuse of, we needed to add balls to the movie.

One thing fans never seem to get-- when an actor sees a part as a job and part of their career and not a beloved part of their life. Sure Ford as Lucas and Han to thank for his career, but that doesn't make him beholden to it for his entire life.

They was a legit movie star because he chose the right roles and distanced himself. Mark Hamill has been doing great as a bit part and VO guy since the 90s-- but between ROTJ and Batman TAS, it was not the salad days for him.

Look at any Trek actor that wasn't a captain-- parts didn't exactly come their way and their career is the convention circuit. Natalie Portman also chose not to super embrace fandom.

If you had people coming up to you every day talking about a job you had 30 years ago, you might not exactly feel the love.

Lucasfilm wanted the OT 3 back. Luke may narratively be the most important, but Ford has the most legit star power. He made them a deal, plain and simple. He'd finally promote the hell out of things, show up, do the part, have fun with it-- but he wanted to get paid, and he wanted to be done.

Just because we love Han Solo that doesn't mean he has to grant our wishes and be the guy forever.

As Ford said on one of the late night talk shows:

Host: "Did you get a chill when you put on that costume again?"

Ford: "No, I got paid!"

Anyone who's been a Star Wars fan for a decent amount of time knows that Harrison Ford doesn't care about it. The fact that he showed up at Comic Con last year was a humongous deal. He just doesn't do fandom. Mark Hamill, on the other hand, embraces it, mostly because his career has enjoyed a renaissance since he started going to cons. Carrie Fisher falls somewhere in the middle.

I think it's partly due to his ego. He always wants to be the leading man and doesn't like to play second fiddle.

It's almost like he's giving the fans a middle finger, like when Shatner told Trek fans to get a life. He's using his star power to say hey look, I came back to Star Wars for just one film and now I'm the highest paid actor in Hollywood again. Just like his character, he was only in it for the money ;-)

It's a shame, because he was the best actor in the film by far, arguably the best character in the entire franchise, and there was still room to grow his character.... oh well. Gotta get over it I guess ;-)

1) Fans of any sort who hound people do need to get a life.

2) Comparing someone directly insulting fans with someone no longer wanting to play a part is insane.

For people who have problems with ep7 not explaining enough, we have TWO more films to.go. TFA isn't a stand alone film. It feels like it's being seen that way.

Personally I do feel TFA didn't explaining enough in MANY cases, but I'm definitely gonna have fun watching Lucasfilm work out this puzzle

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.