Ben Solo's Fall to the Dark Side

Darth Wicket

By now, we know that Ben Solo became Kylo Ren. Just as how in the OT, we learned that Anakin Skywalker became Darth Vader. However, all that we heard was that Anakin was seduced by the dark side of the Force. For better or worse, we didn't learn exactly how he turned to the dark side until the PT.

Has Ben Solo's fall to the dark side been covered in any Star Wars novels? Will we learn extra details of why Ben Solo turned to the dark side in Episodes VIII and IX? And why is he so obsessed with Darth Vader?

Just speculating...but, did Han, Leia, and Luke try to hide the truth that his grandfather was Darth Vader? And only told him that his grandfather was Anakin Skywalker? Did Ben Solo learn of this from another person (maybe Snoke) and did that make him become bitter against Han, Leia, and Luke? Why does he hate Han Solo so much?

We most likely won't get any movies between Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens...unless LucasFilm wants to recast like they recently did for the Han Solo movie. So, I was just wondering if this topic has been addressed in Star Wars books. I'm interested to know the history which caused his turn to the dark side.

Just speculating...but, did Han, Leia, and Luke try to hide the truth that his grandfather was Darth Vader? And only told him that his grandfather was Anakin Skywalker? Did Ben Solo learn of this from another person (maybe Snoke) and did that make him become bitter against Han, Leia, and Luke? Why does he hate Han Solo so much?

This question was addressed in Bloodlines.

Ben was not told, potentially until it was public knowledge

Nope, not because of Anakin at all. It's mainly because of Jacen Solo (whose story was nearly identical) and Ben Skywalker. Mainly the latter. It's why I was finally unable to control my outburst in the theater and drive home yelling, "Ben? Ben? Are you ****ing kidding me? Ben!?"

Man, I love when Han calls out to Ben on the bridge. It seems so iconic to me.

I still get chills every time he hollers "BEN!" The delivery in that one syllable is absolute perfection. (And I honestly think they chose his name just because of how it sounded. A two syllable name, or a name less iconic to Star Wars fans, wouldn't have had the same impact. Plus, Harrison Ford's kid's name is Ben.)

I just wish he wasn't called Kylo Ren. Because it rhymes with Ben and sounds silly.

I had a feeling they decided on Ben after shooting half the movie with him as Kylo Ren. I would have preferred Anakin or Jacen. Not that I'm in to the EU at all... but I think they're just a bit... better.

Or how about Lenny? Lenny's a good name :)

Guest El Chalupacabra

If Luke had sons, he might name one of them Anakin. Luke had a connection with Anakin/Vader. Leia didn't really, and Han certainly didn't. I think Han would have a problem naming his son after the man who tortured him and sold him like he were deli meat to Jabba.

Well, what was Han and Leia's connection to Ben? Luke was the one who had a connection to Kenobi.

I think they should have gone with a unique first name for Kylo's original first name.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Who said anything about anyone being hysterical? I personally don't give a rip that there was a Ben Skywalker in EU books.

It may make sense narratively, but I think a unique name would have been better. Or someone closer to Leia, like Bail?

This question was addressed in Bloodlines.

[Kindergarten Cop]Thanks for the tip.[/Kindergarten Cop] I'll have to check that book out. Although LucasFilm might not make live action movies between Episode VI and VII, I hope they could at least do an animated movie or TV show like Clone Wars or Rebels. I think there would be some interesting stories to tell during that time period. It seems now they are mostly focused (besides the new trilogy) on the time period between Episode III and IV.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Who said anything about anyone being hysterical?

I did. Just now. But it wasn't about you.

But, it's always about me. WTF!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.