that gorilla that got shot

Pong Messiah

everybodys talking about how horrible it is that they killed that gorilla

i agree but understand why it had to be done and think people who are second guessing the decision from behind their computer screens need to be locked in a cage with a gorilla and see what happens after it gets shot with a tranquilzer

but really wtf were those parents so busy with that they let a preschool age kid climb into the cage thats what gets me jesus christ

but really wtf were those parents so busy with that they let a preschool age kid climb into the cage thats what gets me jesus christ

Other kids apparently.

I just chalk this down to "Things that suck to see happen". Maybe there's something to be learned here, perhaps the enclosure was insufficient, I honestly don't know. But what I do know is that we'd be hearing a whole lot less about this if the kid had been killed and not the gorilla.

Reminds me of the kitten I heard meowing outside a while back. I don't have cats. I do have dogs though, so I walked outside to investigate. What I found was my 170lb Anatolian Shepherd with a kitten cowering in front of him while he swatted at the ground trying to get it to play with, wagging his tail frantically all the while. Then the kitten started hissing and swatting at him. I knew right then, the only chance that kitten had was for somebody to shoot my dog. But a kitten isn't a baby. Not really. Besides, my dog is awesome and kitten graves are easier to dig.

This just makes everyone bad. I have mixed feelings about zoos as well women who have more kids than they can handle. I know kids can do things in the blink of an eye but that kid said he wanted to do that and he did. Captive animals that get little stimulation can be just as dangerous as ones who live in the wild.

Reminds me of the kitten I heard meowing outside a while back. I don't have cats. I do have dogs though, so I walked outside to investigate. What I found was my 170lb Anatolian Shepherd with a kitten cowering in front of him while he swatted at the ground trying to get it to play with, wagging his tail frantically all the while. Then the kitten started hissing and swatting at him. I knew right then, the only chance that kitten had was for somebody to shoot my dog. But a kitten isn't a baby. Not really. Besides, my dog is awesome and kitten graves are easier to dig.

i had a dog that used to do that with the rabbits that would terrorize the garden

had no interest in guarding or killing the interloper like he was supposed to

would just catch a rabbit hold it down with his mouth between his front paws and proceed slap it silly

no teeth piercing skin just a tight grip and bunny slapping

slap

terrified squeal

wag wag wag

repeat until bored

rabbit probably wandered off and had a heart attack after the shock wore off but was otherwise perfectly safe between his paws

now the chickens he was supposed to ignore on the other hand thats another story

worst guard dog ever

and innocent

It's a 3-year-old, not the idiot who got himself killed because he snuck into Seaworld to swim with Shamu.

that guy got naked and only one reason you get naked with a killer whale whos already killed another person is because you are a killer perv

kid said he was getting in the water with the gorilla

Yeah, because we all know how reliable 4 year olds are at executing their ideas.

It's always non-parents who turn into Judgy McJudgester Pants when something like this happens.

Captive animals that get little stimulation can be just as dangerous as ones who live in the wild.

For what it's worth, it seems the gorilla was actually trying to protect the kid. That's really why people are so upset about all this. It just so happened that the protection included violently dragging the kid through a moat and across the pen. It wasn't a mad gorilla going crazy because he was in an environment that messed with his social skills. It was just a normal gorilla putting a kid in danger simply by virtue of being a gorilla.

Those things are strong and could have killed the kid in the blink of an eye. It's not anyone's fault. It's just something that happened and the gorilla had to be shot because they didn't want to gamble with the life of a 3-year-old. A justifiable decision.

Yeah, because we all know how reliable 4 year olds are at executing their ideas.

It's always non-parents who turn into Judgy McJudgester Pants when something like this happens.

sorry bad parenting is bad parenting

you dont need a drivers license to criticize somebodys ****ty dangerous driving

you dont need to be a washed up singer with a pill habit to say holy **** that green day bieber meltdown a few years ago was sure embarrassing

but you gotta be a parent to criticize parenting

what makes parents so ****ing special

sorry bad parenting is bad parenting

you dont need a drivers license to criticize somebodys ****ty dangerous driving

you dont need to be a washed up singer with a pill habit to say holy **** that green day bieber meltdown a few years ago was sure embarrassing

but you gotta be a parent to criticize parenting

what makes parents so ****ing special

I am a non-parent, and I totally have Cerina's back on this. Any kid can just disappear in a matter of seconds. I do agree with the sentiment that non-parents can identify bad parenting, I identify bad parenting on a regular. I see neglect of all kinds on a regular basis. Not watching your kid every second of every day is not neglect.

I cant help but feel bad for the Gorilla. He was just being a Gorilla minding his own business in captivity...

But freak accidents like this just happen I suppose. And its just super bad luck for everyone when it does. I surely wouldn't have any ideas on how to negotiate the release of a toddler from the grip of a Silverback. What can anyone do in that situation?

Maybe we shouldn't keep animals in small enclosures for our own amusement, and then these things wouldn't happen. But then kids also would probably never get the chance to see some amazing species in the flesh. Maybe thats a fair price.. i dunno

Not picking on you, Odine, but the "keeping animals in small enclosures for our own amusement" is a victorian/carny aesthetic that began dying out awhile ago. Any reputable Zoo, at least in North America, does a lot in the area of conservation (habitats and species), education, research, and outreach -- in particular, getting kids interested in animals, ecosystems, preservation, etc. IMO, my local zoo puts so much focus on preservation, I actually wish the pendulum would swing back just a little toward simple "Whoa, what a cool animal!" appreciation, though I understand why they do what they do.

Of course, zoos vary wildly in quality, and yours very well might suck (in which case the "small enclosures for our own amusement" comment makes sense), but for kids whose parents lack the time and resources to take them to other continents on safari (i.e. most parents), a good zoo has healthy, mentally stimulated, well cared-ford animals, and can be a pretty great door-opening experience.

Other kids apparently.

I just chalk this down to "Things that suck to see happen". Maybe there's something to be learned here, perhaps the enclosure was insufficient, I honestly don't know. But what I do know is that we'd be hearing a whole lot less about this if the kid had been killed and not the gorilla.

I don't know about that. If a child was left to die in that enclosure, shit would hit the fan. There would be talk about why the gorilla wasn't shot, why a we valued an animal's life over a human's. Obviously we'll never know. #Childlivesmatter

What I don't understand is the zoo design.

My community's zoo is awfully small compared to zoos in really large metropolitan areas. The environments are pretty good for the animals, but there's not a ton of animals in general. We don't have gorillas.

We do have chimpanzees. There are three ways to view them - their winter house (completely enclosed, viewed by windows), an enclosed outdoor area with floor-to-ceiling "glass" (you know, the high impact clear polymer stuff), and a deck area with a HUGE, DEEP tree-filled barrier that the chimps can't access at all between the humans and the chimps, and there's a solid chest-high (on 6' me) barrier between the humans and that - kids need to be lifted by their parents and held to see the chimps from this observation point. A kid had better be pretty damn clever to get into that enclosure. Pretty sure they have to have superpowers, too.

There are a few non-dangerous animals that are in enclosures that a crafty kid could probably worm their way into if given enough time and lack of attention, but they'd be sitting in a flock of ducks or a pond full of turtles. Any large, dangerous animals are in enclosures that are impenetrable as far as I can see, especially by a preschooler.

So, I tend to think the zoo is to blame, simply by how easy it was for this kid to get in there. And I do think shooting the gorilla was the best course of action to save the kid, unfortunately.

That being said, I sure hope the parents don't play this off as "it wasn't your fault, ickle sweetums," and the kid does understand as best as a probably traumatized four year old can that actions have consequences. Particularly since the kid stated his intentions before doing it. Not that I think the kid is at fault or should be made to feel guilty, per se, but I sure hope this teaches him some sense of danger and self-preservation.

I hope the parents don't decide to sue the zoo. That's when I'll be all, 'Hold up, bitches'

Sadly no matter what anyone thinks, including a jury, it would come down to the zoo being liable for having an enclosure that a toddler was able to get into. That zoo might just cut a check to keep this from going to court.

Not picking on you, Odine, but the "keeping animals in small enclosures for our own amusement" is a victorian/carny aesthetic that began dying out awhile ago. Any reputable Zoo, at least in North America, does a lot in the area of conservation (habitats and species), education, research, and outreach -- in particular, getting kids interested in animals, ecosystems, preservation, etc. IMO, my local zoo puts so much focus on preservation, I actually wish the pendulum would swing back just a little back toward simple "Whoa, what a cool animal!" appreciation, though I understand why they do what they do.

Of course, zoos vary wildly in quality, and yours very well might suck (in which case the "small enclosures for our own amusement" comment makes sense), but for kids whose parents lack the time and resources to take them to other continents on safari (i.e. most parents), a good zoo has healthy, mentally stimulated, well cared-ford animals, and can be a pretty great door-opening experience.

Yeah. I mean the zoos I've been to in the UK have been pretty depressing, compared with the wildlife parks and zoos I've been to in Australia for example. And there is a Danish architect (can't remember his name) who is doing cool things trying to re-invent how we go about designing enclosures and things. So I'm aware of modern Zoos and their role in conservation and rehabilitation of animals etc. Though that gorilla enclosure from the few photos I've seen looked kinda spartan. I once went to a Zoo back in my hometown where the polar bear was in a concrete pit with a chlorinated pool that deyed his fur yellow. That was grim. But like I said I'm totally aware plenty of modern zoos are actually quite great.. As great as captivity can be really.. Still, kinda wish they weren't necessary at all.

I get anxiety attacks if we do a field trip where I run through all the potential bad things that can happen. I've never had anything terrible happen but I still want all the kids to arrive back at the school that left on the bus in the morning. I think the worst has been bee stings or this one time a bus ran over a basketball. I'm that kind of personality where I take this stuff seriously. So I think the Mom is just glad to have her kid back in one piece and I can totally get how she really just wants to be left alone to forget the whole experience.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.