Rogue One: A Star Wars Story Emergency Reshoots

Pong Messiah

Lol.

So how bout those Rogue One reshoots?

Not a good sign is it? Didn't they also reshoot most of Suicide Squad? I dunno how that turned out, but I can't imagine too well.

It'll be a bummer if the best bits of R1 were what we got in the trailer.

If there were rumours Lucasfilm or Kennedy were concerned, then I'd be more worried. I'm more concerned about the Disney execs tampering with the movie than anything else. Sounds like they want another Force Awakens and are disappointed with what they're getting. (if it's true). And even if it sucks, it'll still probably be better than the prequels.

Here's what I think is happening-- Lucasfilm encouraged and liked the idea of branching out tonally and narratively and let Edwards do his thing.

Disney saw a rough cut and panicked that it wasn't the same as other Star Wars.

I'm pretty sure it does still exist. I can see it on my shelf when I'm at home. Therefore, you most certainly can rip it off.

And yes, they were all retconned into a mostly-coherent whole. It actually makes sense to have the blueprints for different portions located in different areas.

From a legal standpoint this is true. From a creative/artistic standpoint, it is not. Other writers created those stories and characters, and to see the new writers rehashing the same stories and characters under different names (sometimes not even that different: Jan Ors/Jen Erso) is just pitiful and one of the reasons why I choose not to play in the new sandbox.

Not gonna lie, I'm pretty upset that my favorite entertainment has been, in my view, torn asunder. After decades of being the model fan that Lucasfilm directed all of its marketing at, I suddenly find myself pushed aside and treated like an outcast by the very company that made my childhood and teens wonderful. I feel like a devoted fan in exile, previously loved but now rejected in favor of casual fans who know nothing other than the films and TV series (which isn't necessarily you folks here; I'm talking about those who don't know any better). It's infuriating to see The Force Awakens retelling the fall of Jacen Solo and heroism of Jaina Solo with names changed, or Rogue One retelling a story that, as Mara said, has been told quite enough already. Further, it is heartbreaking that so many fans, who know not Kyle Katarn or Jan Ors, will think this is an original story, and that such beloved characters will fade into obscurity, remembered only by a few oldies like myself. It hasn't happened to me yet, but I just know there will come a time when my acquaintances will see an image of Darth Revan--previously world renown--and think he's Kylo Ren, and I will die a little inside.

But make no mistake: my ire is not directed at any of you, or anyone who enjoys the new canon. That's perfectly fine, and I will not love anyone any less for enjoying a different version of Star Wars than what I have come to know. My anger is at the powers that be who created this mess, which wouldn't be so bad if they'd just let the Legends canon continue as its own thing.

I will try not to mention it so often (which I've honestly been doing and have cut it down by quite a bit), but I just hope that leaves us with some conversational commonality as I am about to become an extreme minority on these boards with all the movies you lot are about to get. It's an ironic reversal from before considering the magnitude of the EU.

Really? Wow. Even non-Star Wars fans know who Revan is. Same with Mara Jade. (This has nothing to do with it, but please tell me you've heard of Commander Shepard, Kratos, Nathan Drake, Sephiroth, Goku, Pikachu, and Jean-Luc Picard.)

ShadowDog: Thanks for being so understanding.

Choc: Sorry for flipping out at you.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.