Rogue One: A Star Wars Story Emergency Reshoots

Pong Messiah

oh come on everybody knows reshoots are common

iirc abrams even credits reshoots with fixing the relationship between rey and finn or something

this was more about the movie being doomed to be terrible which is different

page six specifically says the word crisis and panic

Let's say the Disney suits aren't liking R1 as it is now. How much could be changed by some reshoots this summer? Presumably the plot can't be radically changed at this point. So, what - actor reactions? More or less violence? Humor?

Well, it wasn't reshoots and was done during principle photography but JJ said they really changed the relationship between Rey and Finn after they first shot it. Was far more contentious for longer than it ended up being. So you can make major changes.

sorry i know it disappointed you but not every film can be nothing but fart jokes magic killing stilted exposition and racially insensitive secondary characters

take heart given the crisis panic surrounding rogue one that could be a sign well be getting more of that in the next sw big screen outing

iirc abrams even credits reshoots with fixing the relationship between rey and finn or something

Should have re-shot it so that Finn dies in the crash on Jakku and Poe takes his place. Much better movie right then and there.

...what

As for the topic, I'll panic when I'm getting out of the theatre and the movie's bad. Until then I'll take solace in the fact that "who talks first" and most of the humorous lines were added in reshoots

sorry i know it disappointed you but not every film can be nothing but fart jokes magic killing stilted exposition and racially insensitive secondary characters

Yeah, The Force Awakens makes the main character black guy the incompetent, cowardly, boastful stormtrooper/janitor who is either bumbling his way through the movie or lying to the female lead to get into her panties, but the Prequels were racially insensitive.

Oh, and the one person that they didn't invite back in this movie? The black guy Lando. His co-pilot Nien Nunb gets invited back, but Billy Dee Williams is left for maybe the future.

Who were the most prominent Prequel minorities? Mace Windu and Jango Fett. One is the leader of the Jedi Council and defeated Palpatine in a lightsaber duel (a feat even Yoda failed to match), making him arguably the most powerfully realized Force-user we've seen in any of the films. The other capable of fighting Obi-Wan to a draw and who was a good enough fighter to provide the template for an entire clone army.

I'll take the Prequel's handling of minorities any day.

Yeah, The Force Awakens makes the main character black guy the incompetent, cowardly, boastful stormtrooper/janitor who is either bumbling his way through the movie or lying to the female lead to get into her panties, but the Prequels were racially insensitive.

Oh, and the one person that they didn't invite back in this movie? The black guy Lando. His co-pilot Nien Nunb gets invited back, but Billy Dee Williams is left for maybe the future.

Who were the most prominent Prequel minorities? Mace Windu and Jango Fett. One is the leader of the Jedi Council and defeated Palpatine in a lightsaber duel (a feat even Yoda failed to match), making him arguably the most powerfully realized Force-user we've seen in any of the films. The other capable of fighting Obi-Wan to a draw and who was a good enough fighter to provide the template for an entire clone army.

I'll take the Prequel's handling of minorities any day.

John Boyega's breakthrough film was Attack the Block. A comedy. So it's no surprise he is cast in a comedic role, seeing how actors are frequently typecast based on previous work.

And it's been bought up in other threads before about prequel racism but... You seem to be omitting the Chinese trade federation blockade guys and Italian/Jew-fly from your memory. That was some pretty bad unconscious stereotyping/ethnic portrayals right there. If you happen to care about that sort of thing.

But I agree with you, woulda been better had the character of Finn perished in the crash, and Poe did all the adventuring.. Simply for story telling's sake. Unless of course Finn has some great future ahead of which we are unaware.

But why is it racist? Just because an alien sounds like a stereotypical accent doesn't make it racist. There was no intention to cause racial harm. If they had slanted eyes and had a camera and an ashtray round their neck i'd see your point.

I haven't seen/heard a single Asian person complain about it. So what is the white man's problem??

John Boyega's breakthrough film was Attack the Block. A comedy. So it's no surprise he is cast in a comedic role, seeing how actors are frequently typecast based on previous work.

Sure, I didn't say the actor was miscast. Only that the character himself was terribly conceived and badly executed. It's humor in the vein of Jar Jar and C-3PO when Star Wars humor works best if its in the vein of Han, R2-D2, or Ewan's Obi-Wan in the latter Prequel films.

BB-8 and Poe got it right and provided all the comedy relief the movie needed. Finn got it wrong and brought the movie down a peg. He was The Force Awakens' Jar Jar, but the movie didn't even have the self-awareness to realize that their Jar Jar shouldn't be more than comedy relief.

And it's been bought up in other threads before about prequel racism but... You seem to be omitting the Chinese trade federation blockade guys and Italian/Jew-fly from your memory.

Those aren't racial stereotypes. Your very own sentence seems split on what racial stereotype Watto is, so that one can be put aside immediately. Watto's just a money grubbing used-car salesman and every culture's got some of those. He's also a very good character and one of the highlights of The Phantom Menace. Even though he's a slaver and claims to only care about money, he clearly has affection for little Anakin. Heck, even his one scene in Attack of the Clones, after he's lost everything and is down on his luck, he brightens when Anakin passes back into his life. It makes his scene very effective.

The Trade Federation don't act like any Chinese stereotype that I'm aware of. Their lip syncing and delivery are obviously homages of the badly dubbed Asian cinema of the past, but that's Lucas being an old film fan, not an attempt to stereotype anyone.

Their accents are pretty damn bad.. like not of how Chinese people sound when speaking english, rather how English speaking people sound when they put on a bad Chinese accent in imitation saying "rike" instead of "like" that sort of thing. I could easily see how people find that offensive. I don't particularly care that much myself, however you were trying to imply TFA was more racist than the PT because of John Boyega being nothing more than poor comic relief. I sited these examples as being racially insensitive in response to that, because I think you like to take any opportunity to shoot TFA down a peg. Which is cool, cause it provides interesting reading, but to criticize Boyega's role for its racial insensitivity and ignore those of the faux-Chinese trade guys and the (insert minority here) jew-fly is a bit rich IMO. Unless thats not what you intended..

But why is it racist? Just because an alien sounds like a stereotypical accent doesn't make it racist. There was no intention to cause racial harm. If they had slanted eyes and had a camera and an ashtray round their neck i'd see your point.

I haven't seen/heard a single Asian person complain about it. So what is the white man's problem??

It isn't necessarily "white mans problem", but from my memory of seeing the PT with a bunch of kids from school.. quite a few of the Chinese kids were a little offended.. but not in anyway that they weren't used to already. I mean, in New Zealand at the time there were commercials on TV in which 2-minute noodles were pitched by a stereotypical Chinese man in a kitchen killing ninja home invaders with chopsticks. And it was socially common for white kids to pull their eyelids back so they'd squint more and say "ping pong pow". So the Trade federation chaps aren't necessarily as bad in comparison to be sure, but they're still a little offensive when viewed through a more empathetic lens.

Any time someone criticizes Finn I get irrationally angry. Finn is the bravest person in the entire Star Wars saga. He's not bumbling - he's a fast learner, he's a great shot with a blaster, and he held his own against a wannabe Sith Lord for way longer than most people would. Not to mention he defied the entire First Order, who stole him from his family and brainwashed him to serve them, just to help people he barely knew. He's not a ****ing janitor, he's a trained stormtrooper who had janitorial duties (like all people in the military). Finn is awesome.

Any time someone criticizes Finn I get irrationally angry.

Well that's a hanging curve if I've ever seen one.

He's not bumbling

Seriously? Watch the movie. Even his running is meant for comedy.

Not to mention he defied the entire First Order, who stole him from his family and brainwashed him to serve them

The character we see on screen is not, in any way, someone that I can plausibly believe was raised to be a trained killer (yeah, real quick learner). It's just a ridiculous backstory for the character that was presented to us.

just to help people he barely knew

Even the movie calls B.S. on this. Finn didn't defy the First Order to help anyone but himself. He only rescued Poe because he needed a pilot to help him run away. First chance he got, Finn tried to run in the other direction. He's willing to risk himself to help one person: Rey. His big act of bravery came at the price of selling the Resistance a bag of lies about how he knew how to turn off the shield at Starkiller Base. Yeah, Mr. Brave was willing to put everyone in that room's lives at risk so that he could go looking for Rey. Even Han gets pissed at him for it.

Basically, the only time Finn is brave is when the Power of Boners compels him.

and he held his own against a wannabe Sith Lord for way longer than most people would

Brilliant! Have Finn's one big moment of combat prowess come at the expense of your main villain. This after some random stormtrooper kicked Finn's butt pretty easily. What's the transitive property have to say about that?

So many bad decisions in that climax.

He's not a ****ing janitor, he's a trained stormtrooper who had janitorial duties (like all people in the military)

Then his incompetence as a soldier makes even less sense. Can't have it both ways. Can't be a complete noob stormtrooper and a fully trained one at the same time.

If they actually wanted to save the character, they could have easily just dumped the comedy elements that weren't working anyway. BB-8 had that covered. Make him a stormtrooper with a crisis of conscience after the slaughter at the beginning of the movie who can kill with practiced ease but wants out of the war business.

Easy to make a more interesting character out of a defecting stormtrooper than Finn. Mainly because his character and backstory are totally incompatible.

You make some decent points about his character and motivation (which I think exist to give his character an arc. I mean, look at Han's motivations in ANH) But you hate the character so you're taking it to ridiculous extremes.

What's extreme about anything I said? Really, I was just countering Mara's odd extremes.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.