Rogue One: A Star Wars Story Emergency Reshoots

Pong Messiah

As cool as the running on the beach stuff looked, I'm perfectly happy with what we got in the climax. It was far and away the best part of the movie and if they say that the ending was going long and needed to be tightened up, I can't argue with the results. I'm sure there was nothing wrong with the individual scenes, the god of pacing just demands a few sacrifices every once in awhile.

Frankly, I wish they could go back and compress the movie a bit more in the middle. I still think they could have lopped Chirrut, Baze, and Saw right out of the movie and it would have been better off. Or keep one of them (or revamp the pilot) and just gone with an old-fashioned Star Wars trio.

You could definately cut all of those guys out and still have basically the same movie. The big problem I have with that is if you cut all of them out, then you cut any bit of humanity the movie had. I enjoyed the Asian guys, and I felt something when they bought it. Can't say I felt that way about felicity jones and the handsome Mexican guy.

I totally agree with cutting out Saw. His character was terrible. I understand his purpose was to marry the movie with the cartoons, but I don't consider that a good enough reason to keep him around. All of those scenes were weak and unnecessarily complicated.

For instance: Galen gave the pilot guy a disc and said give this to Saw. The message (conveniently) tells Felicity jones/Saw to go to a planet and get the plans, and give them to the rebellion. Sending your daughter on a suicide mission...you know, the classic. The empire comes. Saw dies. Felicity and the gang get the message to the rebels. Fighting happens! The rebels escape with the plans.

Instead: Galen gave the guy a disc and said give this to the rebellion. The message has the ACTUAL plans on it. The empire comes. the pilot guy dies. Fighting happens! Felicity and the gang get the plans to the rebels. the rebels escape with the plans.

You could definately cut all of those guys out and still have basically the same movie. The big problem I have with that is if you cut all of them out, then you cut any bit of humanity the movie had. I enjoyed the Asian guys, and I felt something when they bought it. Can't say I felt that way about felicity jones and the handsome Mexican guy.

Eh, they felt like stock characters to me. Chirrut in particular, with the whole blind fighting monk thing. I swear, in 15 years they'll be tut-tutting Rogue One for casting an Asian guy in a role like that.

I'm not sure what humanity they really brought to the movie. They just kinda went along, bickered with each other lightly, performed in a few action sequences, and then died. If you didn't think Jyn and Cassian were sufficiently carrying the movie, then cutting out these two and working on the main characters a bit more would seem to be the smart thing to do. Tossing in a couple of random side characters that are just along for the ride couldn't have helped that.

Asian husbands, you mean.

I'll confess, either it had slipped my mind or I didn't realize Baze was Asian until you said that.

It's been a while since I watched any Kurosawa films, but they felt a bit like his characters. I think I'm thinking of the two guys from Hidden Fortress (?) who were supposedly the inspiration for R2 and 3PO (as we all know). Or maybe I'm thinking of a different movie. So it may have been a nod in that direction -- wouldn't be crazy for Edwards to do that -- but I agree that it didn't work as well as it may have been intended.

One could make a case that it was a bit of a spin on Seven Samurai except instead of defending the homestead, they band together for a suicide mission.

Jyn

& Cassian

& K2SO

& Baze

& Chirrut

& Bodhi

& Saw

Maybe it's a stretch, but if there are superfluous characters, that might explain it.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, watched the whole thing last night. First Star Wars movie that I did not see in the theater. What a great movie. Tarkin nor Leia did not bother me. I thought those were very well done.

The tone of the movie really made it seem like the Death Star was more dangerous than it ever felt in any of the other movies. Seeing people give their lives in order to rid the galaxy of this weapon. The sacrifice. It was something else.

I loved it the first time I saw it, in spite of its flaws because the third act was amazing and I left the theater on a high note. The good outweighed the bad.

The second time I saw it I was bored to tears through the first two thirds. In my mind I was thinking "just get to the space battle already." I even fell asleep for a bit in the theater. I left thinking I liked it so much better the first time. I don't think I'll feel the need to ever see it again, so I am having a hard time justifying buying the blue-Ray for it. I feel like I shouldn't feel obligated to buy it JUST because I'm a Star Wars fan. Despite loving the last half hour or so, the movie as a whole is totally disposable to me. It's an average action movie with an uninspired overall story and characters (most of them anyways-especially the leads). Glad I saw it, but don't need it in my life.

I loved it the first time I saw it, in spite of its flaws because the third act was amazing and I left the theater on a high note. The good outweighed the bad.

The second time I saw it I was bored to tears through the first two thirds. In my mind I was thinking "just get to the space battle already." I even fell asleep for a bit in the theater. I left thinking I liked it so much better the first time. I don't think I'll feel the need to ever see it again, so I am having a hard time justifying buying the blue-Ray for it. I feel like I shouldn't feel obligated to buy it JUST because I'm a Star Wars fan. Despite loving the last half hour or so, the movie as a whole is totally disposable to me. It's an average action movie with an uninspired overall story and characters (most of them anyways-especially the leads). Glad I saw it, but don't need it in my life.

Love this post because it's the reason why I've never seen it again after my initial viewing in the theater. I thought it was great and I think if I watch it again I'll end up feeling just like you described. Bored and thinking it's just ok. This is the first SW movie in my life that I did not go purchase as soon as it was released on home media.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.