Rogue One: A Star Wars Story Emergency Reshoots

Pong Messiah

oh man...

Furries are a subculture that came into being when weird little boys who got boners watching The Thundercats got to the internet and cross pollenated with anthropomorphic Japanese animal cosplay. Basically, people who get off and/or only feel right when wearing animal costumes.

Guest El Chalupacabra

The problem with games is that they sacrifice story for playability. Like, in The Force Unleashed, you have Starkiller taking down a Star Destroyer with the Force. That makes for a cool move in a game, but is dumb when it happens in "real life." Then there's all the different story endings depending on your choices, but only one is "canon." It's confusing and why I'd rather them not try to push video games into the actual storyline.

I kind of feel similarly about most of the EU novels, actually. I've played many Star Wars games over the years, and I think a lot of them have good plots, that really capture the feel of the movies. Some really play like an interactive movie. I'd consider any Kyle Katarn or KOTOR game closer to canon over ANY EU novel. Even the Thrawn trilogy. But that is just my own personal head canon.

But back to the movie.....

What I want most out of Rogue One is a movie I can enjoy. if it is as enjoyable as Episode 7 the first time I saw that movie, then I think I will enjoy it. If it pays homage to Dark Forces, then great. If it ignores it without contradicting it, awesome. If Rogue One completely wipes out and over rides Dark Forces the video game, I'm not going to get worked up about it. As someone who is also a Star Trek fan, I have learned to accept what I feel is canon, and ignore what I don't have any use for :::cough::: Star Trek Into Darkness:::cough:::

Quote function still won't work on my work computer.

El Chalupa-thingy: Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight is still my favorite game in the world, and was actually my introduction to the EU. It really captured the feel of the original Trilogy, and did so in a much better way than did the majority of the early EU novels at the time (I admit that it all started out on extremely wobbly legs). That game was the greatest thing in the world at the time. All of a sudden, Star Wars was back with an original story. Imagine my surprise when I found out there were other original stories out there.

That's why I'm still a Star Wars fan today and why the EU--both the amazing and the terrible--is my true canon.

Here's what I think is happening-- Lucasfilm encouraged and liked the idea of branching out tonally and narratively and let Edwards do his thing.

Disney saw a rough cut and panicked that it wasn't the same as other Star Wars.

Well this is the key isn't it. Most Star Wars properties outside the movies have been niche items. Whether you play the video games, watch the cartoons, or read the books, those have been specifically targeted to a smaller core.

Rogue One is the first Star Wars movie to not include a core member of the mythos, save the Darth Vader cameo. The trailer had a different feel to until you see the Death Star and Star Destroyers. The music isn't even be coming from John Williams. There is a lot in this movie that will be different.

Now will that appeal to a larger group? It's not expected to do the box office of TFA, but they don't want it being a niche movie either. And this is a story that most people are at least familiar with. Imagine the consternation over the Han Solo movie?

Entertainment Weekly has debunked most of the "sky is falling" rumors. Yes, there are reshoots; yes, they were planned; no, they're not reshooting 40% of the movie. http://www.ew.com/ar...ue-one-reshoots

I suspect the answer is in-between here. There were essentially three different reports. One, the sky is falling. Two, the sky isn't falling, but they are reshooting 40%. Three Entertainment Weekly essentially got the studio's take and everything's just swell, these aren't the droids you're looking for, you can go about your business, move along.

My guess is that there has been some turmoil and studio interference, but not the type that necessarily portends doom, just lowered expectations.

Imagine the consternation over the Han Solo movie?

Just doing the Han Solo movie is an iffy proposition.

Wait, people don't know the moon is actually a space station constructed by the illuminati as base of operations for our reptilian overlords and their nefarious plans to subjugate the people of the earth under a single governing body?

Wait, people don't know the moon is actually a space station constructed by the illuminati as base of operations for our reptilian overlords and their nefarious plans to subjugate the people of the earth under a single governing body?

Wait--I thought that happened nearly 8 years ago.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Quote function still won't work on my work computer.

El Chalupa-thingy: Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight is still my favorite game in the world, and was actually my introduction to the EU. It really captured the feel of the original Trilogy, and did so in a much better way than did the majority of the early EU novels at the time (I admit that it all started out on extremely wobbly legs). That game was the greatest thing in the world at the time. All of a sudden, Star Wars was back with an original story. Imagine my surprise when I found out there were other original stories out there.

That's why I'm still a Star Wars fan today and why the EU--both the amazing and the terrible--is my true canon.

I don't know what web browser you use, but maybe try another one and see if it works that way?

Dark Forces II had a pretty awesome story line, as well as for (at the time) great graphics. It has tons of re-playability. But I think the coolest thing about it was that it had actual live action cut scenes, that really gave it that star wars feel. I have to admit I was a little disappointed at first that Jedi Outcast had CG cut scenes, rather than life action.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.