Rogue One: A Star Wars Story Emergency Reshoots

Pong Messiah

I'm a pretty big SW fan and I play video games. I know what a Revan is, but I don't know that many details. Mostly because I was never interested.

I default to my core position, that Star Wars originated as a movie, therefor any other entries to the franchise that are NOT movies will never fee; right to me or have the same impact.

Just like how if a Mass Effect movie is ever made, it's never going to give the same feels as the game.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Three pages in, and I am still waiting to read exactly what scene(S) were reshot, and why?

Oh that won't come out until after.

I'm actually as snobby as Driver in this case. I'm sorry and I mean no offense, but to me video games just don't ****ing count. The books have no legitimacy whatsoever and I consider them canon a million times over compared to a ****ing video game. Please.

The problem with games is that they sacrifice story for playability. Like, in The Force Unleashed, you have Starkiller taking down a Star Destroyer with the Force. That makes for a cool move in a game, but is dumb when it happens in "real life." Then there's all the different story endings depending on your choices, but only one is "canon." It's confusing and why I'd rather them not try to push video games into the actual storyline.

I never got how people prefer female Revan. Unlike Commander Shepard, who has a different voice actor for each gender who provide completely different takes on the character, Revan is pretty much exactly the same. The only difference is that you get to Romance Bastila if you're male and Carth if you're female. And since Bastila seems like a far more interesting and likable character, I'd say male Revan wins hands-down.

And I like Starkiller being like a Force wrecking ball. He was Vader's little experiment in a new way to apply the Force: completely wild and untamed (or unleashed, if you will). Starkiller may seem overpowered but he's really only been trained to use the Force in a sloppy and destructive way, without the discipline practiced by the Jedi or even the Sith. I felt it was an interesting take with proved to be his downfall in the end.

I'm actually as snobby as Driver in this case. I'm sorry and I mean no offense, but to me video games just don't ****ing count. The books have no legitimacy whatsoever and I consider them canon a million times over compared to a ****ing video game. Please.

Showing your age there, mate.

Video games have become a very sophisticated entertainment medium, with complex narratives that are sometimes downright literary. I get that you're painting in intentionally broad brushstrokes.. But I get the feeling your opinion on the matter is grounded in ignorance. (I mean no insult by that, just that you probably have little experience with contemporary gaming).

Though I will agree that I don't care about medium crossovers having connectivity and continuity, or video game characters having real

status in a cinematic universe. I just don't care bout any of that.

However, given how the games industry is growing exponentially and shows no sign of letting up, and probably won't ever since gaming technology is constantly improving, I wouldn't be surprised if future ventures in the Star Wars games universe will be canonised by Disney. It's the way of the future, and no matter how lame you think it is you can't change it. There will be synchronicity at some point, it's just a matter of time.

The problem with games is that they sacrifice story for playability. Like, in The Force Unleashed, you have Starkiller taking down a Star Destroyer with the Force. That makes for a cool move in a game, but is dumb when it happens in "real life." Then there's all the different story endings depending on your choices, but only one is "canon." It's confusing and why I'd rather them not try to push video games into the actual storyline.

That depends entirely on the type of game they're trying to make. Force unleashed was an action platformer.. Nowhere near as much budget would be spent on writing as if it were an RPG for example. So of course they're gonna build big set peices for your ridiculously over powered character to destroy. Force Unleashed was lame for that very reason.

Though I will agree that I don't care about medium crossovers having connectivity and continuity, or video game characters having real

status in a cinematic universe. I just don't care bout any of that.

This was my point. I certainly wasn't condemning video games as a whole.

Right. Now I'm with you.

I certainly understand why some people DO care about that though. Revan is a prime example. His character was awesome so I can see why people would want him canonised. Anyways.. I've derailed this thread yet again. My bad

I was dismissing this a bit, but that actually does sound like the panic button. Yeah, reshoots are common, but 40% of a mega-budget movie with only 6 months to go? Eight weeks worth of production taking us presumably taking us into August?

That's a lot more than changing the tone on a few things, fixing a couple of problem areas that didn't work in editing, and cramming in Han. Not saying it won't work in the end, but that it disappointing news coming after a surprisingly strong trailer.

Only good news is that it sounds like a writer is taking control, which I usually consider a positive.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.