New Star Trek Series in 2017

Guest El Chalupacabra

They're all in their own box. :shrug: Every season of every Trek show can be "in their own box".

Not sure what you mean there. Not really, when you think about it.

I wasn't completely serious, but if a fan wanted to deal with all the inconsistencies and canon/decanonized details of Trek, they could just say it's in a different timeline or parallel universe, or whatever. The concepts allow pretty much anything that someone might consider inconsistent to be handwaved away within the established rules of the universe.

Guest El Chalupacabra

They're all in their own box. :shrug: Every season of every Trek show can be "in their own box".

Not sure what you mean there. Not really, when you think about it.

I wasn't completely serious, but if a fan wanted to deal with all the inconsistencies and canon/decanonized details of Trek, they could just say it's in a different timeline or parallel universe, or whatever. The concepts allow pretty much anything that someone might consider inconsistent to be handwaved away within the established rules of the universe.

I see. That makes sense. In fact that is how I sort of reconcile the existence of Discovery in the first place, so as to not ruin the other incarnations of Trek for me: It's there, It's canon, but it's not the same timeline/universe as my favorite incarnations of Trek.

It's just so stupid of them. I get why the JJ films happen with the Trek fatigue, but Discovery did not need to be a prequel. They could have easily just pulled a TNG and said they were the 25th century in the Prime verse.

I wouldn't categorize the lowest rated Trek show ever that only lasted half as long as the others "flush."

I think they (rightly) knew Trek fatigue was real and to go the version with the most well know pop culture recognition.

Guest El Chalupacabra

It's just so stupid of them. I get why the JJ films happen with the Trek fatigue, but Discovery did not need to be a prequel. They could have easily just pulled a TNG and said they were the 25th century in the Prime verse.

I've said something similar before, so I agree. They could have even kept the Sarek (or Spock) connection. Would have been a lot easier to accept. But what's done is done. Unfortunately. I've just resigned myself to the fact the Trek I am a fan of is dead and has been since 2005.

Of course, they were flush from their success of ENT. Another prequel was a no-brainer.

I wouldn't categorize the lowest rated Trek show ever that only lasted half as long as the others "flush."

I think they (rightly) knew Trek fatigue was real and to go the version with the most well know pop culture recognition.

To be fair, Enterprise was getting better at the time of cancellation. I personally am a (belated) fan of Enterprise. It holds up pretty well and aside from a few filler episodes, it really is a lot better than people give it credit for. I would have been OK with a revival of Enterprise. But that will NEVER happen.

But had they set Discovery in the 24th century, they could STILL have had that TOS connection with the spore drives.

Guest El Chalupacabra

How is the spore drive connected to TOS?

Trek is dead. Long live Trek. It keeps evolving.

I'm talking about its ability to hop through time, space, and alternate dimensions/timelines/universes. Not very hard to have Discovery based outside the prime timeline, but visit it, if the writers wanted to.

Itll be a third casting for Spock. I expect the internet to lose its mind when its announced.

Why?

Have you met fandom? Discovery is already hated in most quarters and nerd-don always freaks out when an iconic part is recast. Zachary Quinta got plenty of hate too, people only backed off when he was halfway decent.

A second recast on a already hated show? Trekkies are gonna lose it.

Itll be a third casting for Spock. I expect the internet to lose its mind when its announced.

Why?

Have you met fandom? Discovery is already hated in most quarters and nerd-don always freaks out when an iconic part is recast. Zachary Quinta got plenty of hate too, people only backed off when he was halfway decent.

The last time I remember anyone really getting upset at recasting was when chicken-necked Brosnan took over from Dalton as 007, or Matt Smith following Tennant on Doctor Who, but more often than not, fans sort of swallow recasting and move on. Personally, I do not recall volcanic nerd-rage over the casting of JJ-Trek--it was more eye rolling at Pine (at the top of the list) stepping into the Shatner's shoes.

Why?

The last time I remember anyone really getting upset at recasting was when chicken-necked Brosnan took over from Dalton as 007, or Matt Smith following Tennant on Doctor Who, but more often than not, fans sort of swallow recasting and move on. Personally, I do not recall volcanic nerd-rage over the casting of JJ-Trek--it was more eye rolling at Pine (at the top of the list) stepping into the Shatner's shoes.

You just don’t spend enough time on nerd message boards...

...which is good thing.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.