New Star Trek Series in 2017

Guest El Chalupacabra

Guest El Chalupacabra

Normally I'd agree, but it could be they were floating that design to see what the reaction would be. Seems mostly negative, even though I liked it. Maybe they originally intended to just run with the design, but the overwhelming negative reaction may have caused them to reconsider.

After all, they redesigned the Abramsprise, and later gave us the Linprise-A all in the same movie, arguably (at least in part) because of long time fan criticism of the Abramsprise design.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I call BS on that.

Not that they may not change it, just that they showed us something that wasn't complete.

It's like Ryan Reynold's Green Lantern suit. They premiered on the cover of EW and fandom lost it's mind, so they quickly spent more money redoing it in the movie.

No one professional releases a first draft of something to announce its existence to the world.

By the way....

http://trekmovie.com/2016/08/12/bryan-fuller-on-the-evolution-of-the-u-s-s-discovery-design/.

Star Trek: Discovery Executive Producer and Showrunner Bryan Fuller spoke with IGN regarding the continuing evolution of the design of the U.S.S. Discovery from the teaser that was shown at San Diego Comic Con. Fuller said that the ship has significantly changed as the version featured in the SDCC teaser was not the final design, but also confirmed that the Discovery is based on Ralph McQuarrie’s designs for the Enterprise in the Planet of the Titans aborted film.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Which is unfortunate, but my point was I wasn't just making it up. I try not to spread lies! ;)

But I agree. If more people liked the Discovery, it probably would have stayed as is.

And why does the text get highlighted when I copy and paste? That's annoying.

Guest El Chalupacabra

See now you baiting me and are trying to get me to go full on geek mode and cite Roddenberry's rules for starship design, and talk about why Andrew Probert hated the All Good Things future Enterprise-D!

• 1 month later...
Guest El Chalupacabra

Yep, Akiva Goldsman. Bringer of:

Batman and Robin

1990s lost in space

Paranormal activity

and a Transformers live movie.

Not good. Not good at all.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest El Chalupacabra

Too tired to post the casting links and latest news, but they are easily googled.

Anyway, bottom line is we have yet more delays, we have some decent actors that have been cast including the walking dead lady and Crouching Tiger lady, some relative unknowns, actors swapping roles, Spock's dad, Harry Mudd, rumors that the Klingons look completely different, other rumors that refute that, rumors that Discovery is a rip off of the defunct fan film Axanar, no real news on the actual plots, no pictures of the ships, and no pictures of actors in make up. We don't even know if this is a prequel to TOS, sequel to Enterprise, a reboot or re-imagining a la BSG. We don't even know if the powers that be even know what they are doing, because they are so tight lipped.

When I first heard about Star Trek Discovery, I was stoked. Now, I really couldn't be more indifferent. If it gets good word of mouth, I'l check it out. I not, I will ignore it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest El Chalupacabra

https://youtu.be/4dxe_ugmIVM

I don't for one second still buy this is the Prime universe. Those are Abramsverse Klingons among a half dozen other visual cues.

I caught this today, too.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/17/15653120/star-trek-discovery-packed-action-shiny-cgi-trailer-watch

NO WAY can I buy this as the prime universe. It definitely is either Kelvinverse, another alternate timeline, or a reboot. The FX look awesome, but other than that, not Star Trek to me. Feel is too generic sci fi with the Star Trek name slapped on it. I HATE the look of the Klingons. They must be some mutated form, a la Son'a from Insurrection. I hate the confrontational angst. Any First Officer who mouths off to a captain like that is not ready for their own command. I hate this angsty, arguing crap that is in EVERYTHING now. Maybe Kardashians in space is interesting to some, but I find it unprofessional and unrealistic, and pulls me out of the story.

Unless trailer #2 is better, I don't think I will be paying money for this show.

post-43313-0-59653400-1495080779_thumb.pngpost-43313-0-44106200-1495080796_thumb.pngpost-43313-0-44711400-1495080807_thumb.jpg

Not exactly the same, but they resemble the Abrams/Kelvin Klingons enough that this is pretty confirming it's not the prime universe.

Also, Starfleet is using the Enterprise insignia twenty years too soon. The warp effect is the same as the movies...

This has to be the Kelvin-verse. Or at the very least they are doing fan lip service saying it's prime, but visually following the movies for brand synergy-- but if that's the case, so what.

I really don't understand the need to do a prequel. All the continuity questions would vanish if they simple jumped way into the future. Well beyond either timeline to the point that it wouldn't matter. They could have a clean slate like TNG did when they started.

WHY AM I NOT IN CHARGE OF THESE THINGS

Guest El Chalupacabra

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2017-05-17 at 9.11.01 PM.pngattachicon.gifScreen Shot 2017-05-17 at 9.11.18 PM.pngattachicon.gifklingon-star-trek-into-darkness.jpg

Not exactly the same, but they resemble the Abrams/Kelvin Klingons enough that this is pretty confirming it's not the prime universe.

Also, Starfleet is using the Enterprise insignia twenty years too soon. The warp effect is the same as the movies...

This has to be the Kelvin-verse. Or at the very least they are doing fan lip service saying it's prime, but visually following the movies for brand synergy-- but if that's the case, so what.

I really don't understand the need to do a prequel. All the continuity questions would vanish if they simple jumped way into the future. Well beyond either timeline to the point that it wouldn't matter. They could have a clean slate like TNG did when they started.

WHY AM I NOT IN CHARGE OF THESE THINGS

Based on what I've read from previous rumors, there is reference to Klingons being on a "sarcophagus ship." This trailer appears to be just that. Judging by the Tut-like sarcophagus, almost Egyptian-style garb, and their disfigured appearance, these Klingons don't seem normal Klingons. I hope they are mutants of some type, but I hope they aren't literally undead or zombie Klingons.

Honestly, I didn't think the Abrams Klingons looked all that different from the TMP-Voy era Klingons, other than being bald and wearing different clothing. Look at General Chang, and the STID Klingon, and they definitely look like the same species.

vySOUm.jpg225px-General_Chang.JPG

WorfTNG.jpgstar-trek-blingon2.png

These new Klingons vaguely resemble the other versions, but in a disfigured way. If they are mutants, I can accept it. If this is the new look of the Klingons, no thank you!

I think what upsets me the most is that I feel like I've been baited and switched. When they first announced Star Trek Discovery, it was billed as the prime verse. If this is the prime verse, the lack of visual continuity is just too jarring for me. I'm not the biggest fan of the Kelvinverse, but if this were to be the style they knew they were going with from the beginning, I wish they would have just set it in the kelvinverse. Time-wise, it works. The Kelvin was destroyed in the early 2230s, and if this is 10 years before nuKirk, Discovery would be the 2240s, which is well within the post Narada time incursion.

I could also accept another timeline altogether, or just a straight up reboot (neither would be preferred by me), but don't call this the prime timeline, CBS, because it doesn't work.

I don't mind the fact the uniforms are blue (has a tie to Enterprise and Star Trek Beyond), and I don't mind the use of the delta, but the skin tight uniforms look non-star trek and more like Buck Rogers from the 1970s.

As for being a prequel, totally with you! As advanced as those FX look, there is no reason this couldn't have been post Nemesis in the primeverse, or post Star Trek Beyond in the Abramsverse. Or, if they wanted to be radical, just a complete reboot \ alternate timeline or universe.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.