Spielberg's Ready Player One (2018)

Iceheart

I really wanted to like this movie. I loved the idea of the book, but hated how it was written. It just felt like a seventh grade was handed a great concept for a literature class project and rushed it in a week.

I'd hoped Spielberg would fix it's problems, and he did fix many of them, but the source material is just so weak that not even he could fix all of the issues. It's just all style with no substance.

Watched it. Loved it. I did take the kiddo with me to go see it. Watching the previews, I had no idea it was gonna take quite the scary turn with The Shining and scary/realistic looking zombies turn midway through the movie. Wasnt thrilled about that, and neither was the kiddo

• 4 months later...

Finally got around to it. I liked the book, but I listened to the audiobook and Wil Wheaton did a great job with it. A good performance can save poor writing, but I didn't even think the writing was that horrible.

I had no clue how Spielberg was going to do it, and the answer was that he didn't try. He took the theme of the book and a couple of the major moments and crafted something new that was fun but forgettable. All in all, a good adaptation. And Simon Pegg manages to elevate everything he's in. I just wish his character had shown up a couple more times, since he had a much bigger role in the book. His showing up at the end really didn't make any sense given the rest of the story.

I've never read the book, so I have no comparison to make, but I enjoyed the movie. I saw it on a plane ride last week. While it would have been nice to see parts of it on a big screen with a nice sound system, it was a great movie for watching on the plane. I didn't have to think hard, but it was a fun watch.

Yeah, it was fun. That's the best part.

I am actually glad that it wasn't a faithful adaptation, because it would have been impossible. On the other hand, this one made Wade seem even more ridiculously overpowered. He's just better than everyone and so awesome that even the bad guys give up and just watch him being awesome because they couldn't figure out one of the easiest bits of 80s video game trivia.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.