Preacher

Axis

So Preacher premiere's on AMC tomorrow night. Here's the trailer:

It's based on a series I absolutely loved as a teenager, but have more complicated feelings about as an adult. I have to say, everything I've seen so far from this adaptation looks excellent -- particularly the casting of Joe Gilgun as Cassidy. While watching him on Misfits I practically yelled out at my TV "That's Cassidy!" So I'm very pleased to see someone else thought so too.

Has anyone else read the series? If so, what do you think of what we've seen so far? What about people who haven't read it? What does this look like to you?

Wow. Yeah. That was rough. The pilot was totally unfocused. Pretty boring in parts. Joe Gilgun's terrible Irish accent completely diffuses his charisma. Tulip's introduction went from fun...to totally, cartoonishly absurd. The dialogue wasn't much to speak of. I'm willing to strap down for the whole season to give it a chance...but, man. This was a pretty bad pilot.

Wow. Yeah. That was rough. The pilot was totally unfocused. Pretty boring in parts. Joe Gilgun's terrible Irish accent completely diffuses his charisma. Tulip's introduction went from fun...to totally, cartoonishly absurd. The dialogue wasn't much to speak of. I'm willing to strap down for the whole season to give it a chance...but, man. This was a pretty bad pilot.

Agreed.

Huge mess, though on the bright side, if it manages to congeal into something coherent, the ingredients are there to make it worth watching. Unlike you, I don't think I can take a whole season -- will stick around for now, but if it doesn't improve soon, won't stay. I'm already in it for the long haul with the infuriatingly uneven Fear the Walking Dead. Don't need two torture shows.

I can't get over the fact that this had 90 minutes and still couldn't make its point -- and somehow the last 20 minutes simultaneously felt slow-mo and super rushed. My god, man.

Reviews of Preacher have been schizophrenic (in the informal, offensive, non-medical definition) to say the least. Apparently it's the wildest, most colorfully entertaining and brilliant pilot in the history of cable TV... or the biggest, smuggest, stinkingest cowpie in the history of adaptations. Pick one and fight to the death.

Axis: I'm not familiar with the series, but why did you love it before and why are your feelings conflicted now?

rewatching the premiere because Sunday night is my "TV Night" and nothing else is on

Gotta say, it's a lot less incoherent this time around and I can really appreciate how it is aesthetically unified... but it still bugs me. It still takes too much of its sweet time unfolding the story, and like Robin Williams or David Lee Roth (or to a lesser extent, Jim Carrey or anybody who wears sunglasses at 11pm), I can like a lot of things about them, but there's this nervous, groping "Look at MEEEEEee!" energy that really turns me off.

So, the verdict has changed:I like it both more and less than the first time through, am both more hopeful and more put off... even if the net positive/negative total out to the same.

• 2 weeks later...

Axis: I'm not familiar with the series, but why did you love it before and why are your feelings conflicted now?

The last time I read it in full was probably almost 15 years ago (I'm re-reading it now for a book club), and as a teenager I was really into all the edgy humor. But, I don't think I can say here what really made me love the series, because it's a pretty big spoiler. I think it's the best reason to read the book and the thing that makes it a really significant piece of literature. When I read it now, I still think that thing is as potent as ever, and I enjoy the rest of it for the most part. Despite Steve Dillon's bad case of "same face" in his art, his stuff is very affecting and hilarious. Ennis takes that juvenile humor a bit too far sometimes though (Arseface?) and that's where I get a little put off.

I have to say though, I liked the second episode more. My only criticism so far is that it feels like all the major characters -- Tulips, Cassidy, Arseface -- are just kind of....there...with nothing to do while every other character actually has a role to play. I'm gonna stay on for the rest of the season for sure. It's strikes me as the kind of show where they don't really know what they're doing for the first season, but figure it out for the second and the rest of the show.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.