Ghostbusters

Axis

Anyone who likes this movie will be a pantywaist SJW who doesn't get or even betrays the spirit (no pun intended) of the originals. Anyone who doesn't like this movie will be a worse than Hitler misogynist.

Personally, I just can't stand Melissa McCarthy.

And, just to answer the question, the Top Critics are just those with bigger names or come from newspapers, magazines, or websites with more credibility than the average critic from nowhere that hardly anyone listens to anyway.

It's fun to watch people lose their minds about how this movie could actually be good and they need to make it fail.

The GhostBros on Reddit's Ghostbusters sub are in total meltdown mode right now. They're now going as far to claim that since Fandango bought Rotten Tomatoes, they're controlling the review percentage to sell more tickets.

Great female comedies that didn't face this kind sexist backlash:

Moonstruck

Clueless

Hanna and her sisters

9 to 5

Devil Wears Prada

Mean Girls

So why is it that this movie, Ghostbusters, is the hill that misogynists want to die on?

Easy, the trailers weren't funny.

Unfortunately for misogynists, the movie itself seems to actually be funny. So now they're taking heat. LOL

Every one of those movies were marketed almost exclusively to women. They're all considered "chick movies." Ghostbusters was marketed as a general audience kind of thing.

MRAs are being faced with the proposition that women don't have to be segregated into their own little genres.

Are we back on assuming that anyone who was down on this movie were misogynists? I mean, congrats on winning some culture wars cred for a movie that was expected to be a disaster turning out to be greeted with lukewarmly positive reviews and will only lose a moderate pile of money instead of a huge pile of money for the studio, but it remains simplistic to completely put the skepticism down on hating women.

That's always been silly in and of itself. The basic fanboy argument has some more merit, but even then, I'm rather on the side of old-school fandom that doesn't want to see cash grabs. So, the real result of this one not going down in flames is that we'll get more remakes of films we treasure.

Yay?

I'm ready to present my non-sexist checklist here.

- Aykroyd and Reitman had a script for a long time that didn't actually sound bad at all. Hadron collider @ Columbia University creates a new outlet for ghosts to reach us from, new team comprised of both young men and women has to join with the old team to stop the threat and the torch is passed...however, Sony didn't want to play ball for whatever reason. It was written in such a way by Aykroyd that Murray did or didn't have to be there, it could be done either way, so that holdup wasn't actually a holdup.

- Finally, after screwing up two chances at Spider-Man franchises, Sony decides "oh, maybe we can use this Ghostbuster IP." Thanks, now that Ramis has passed away. Good job.

- Long story short, Amy Pascal wants to do a certain type of movie but Ivan Reitman has creative control and thinks her take is poop. She somehow gets him out of the picture and gets Feig, who wouldn't do it if he couldn't do it his way (what is now showing in theaters), to direct it. From what I gather, he found the preexisting Ghostbusters canon unpalatable and was intimidated by Reitman interjecting his creative two cents.

- Through an apparently nasty process that the email hacks from a few years ago confirmed to include litigation threats against Bill Murray and NDA's for all parties involved, we got a nice little reboot with a bow wrapped around it that said NDA's prevented anyone from saying anything but good things about publicly. Aykroyd and Reitman did not want this, and again, the emails confirm it. Reitman was coached on his blessing and Aykroyd went from being on the warpath about the entire new concept to suddenly thinking it was great and it was better and unicorns and rainbows.

So it seems Sony/Feig/Pascal (now replaced by Rothman as the Sony chairman btw) really really really wanted this to happen, no matter how messy it had to get. That said, it would have to have been stellar and nothing less. However, that's not the impression I'm getting.

I was already disgusted by their handling of Spider-Man 3. Annoyed by their handling of a second Spidey franchise. So none of that stuff from the leaked emails about this movie surprises me, as it seems there is no length Sony won't stoop to or no arm they won't twist.

Only good thing they've done in my opinion is give Marvel Studios creative control over Spider-Man. Sounds to me like they should do the same thing with the Ghostbusters.

There's really no reason the two films can't stand side by side. They're the same concept (busting ghosts) but the plots are different, and its set in different eras. They both work.

I will never get the anger over reboots, and calling things "cash grabs" (ALL movies are cash grabs, c'mon), so I'm not going to address those arguments. Was Ghostbusters a perfect movie? No, but it was fun and funny and I enjoyed the hell out of myself. I plan to see it again next weekend. And even though you can tilt your head and see a lot of social commentary, it's not super preachy about it.

I think your daughter will love it, Stevil.

I was upset because those four guys were some my heroes and role models when I was growing up. I know young women need role models too but I didn't want them to mess with mine!

How does this mess with yours, exactly? The 1984 Ghostbusters still exists. The 2016 Ghostbusters may have the same concept, but it's not like they did the same characters over but gave them ovaries. You can now show your daughter a movie where people who look like she will when she grows up bust ghosts, and then show her the one you loved as a kid, too.

So, the real result of this one not going down in flames is that we'll get more remakes of films we treasure.

Yay?

Let's see. Of the media I consumed in the 80's-90's, they've made movies out of...

Transformers (what, like five times now?)

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (twice)

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers

GI Joe (also twice)

X-Men (a gazillion times, ish?)

Jem

Jurassic Park

And there's talks about a new Pokemon movie, for obvious reasons.

Oh, and Star Wars and Star Trek.

Not to mention the tv sequels to The X-Files and Twin Peaks.

Plus, I'm sure I'm forgetting a whole bunch.

80's/90's nostalgia has been big business for the past 10 years or so. Ghostbusters was bound to get caught in the net eventually. This is not the movie that spawns all the remakes. This is one of the remakes the success of Transformers spawned.

I saw it Friday, I was pretty entertained with it. It wasn't exactly a great movie, but it was fun enough and was at the very least just as good as Ghostbusters 2.

It seems like everyone's complaints about it vary a lot. I did have two main issues. First, the first half hour or so really drug on and was kind of cringey. It really took way too much exposition for a universe that pretty much everyone is already familiar with, and a lot of the worst jokes seemed to happen during character introductions and world building. Also, I wasn't a fan of Melissa McCarthy's overacting or her character in general. It was just too much and very often verged on annoying.

I did think all of the other actresses nailed it though. Each of them had attributes and quirks from all of the OG Ghostbusters. Leslie Jones was really fun and I didn't really get the stereotypical vibe from her at all that the trailers impressed on everyone. I've always been a big fan of Kristen Wiig, I think she was the perfect choice to anchor the new crew. Kate McKinnon almost stole the whole movie. That performance could have very easily crossed the line and become cringey and overdone like McCarthy, but somehow she stayed behind it and was charming, charismatic, and funny as hell.

The story itself was fine, just kind of a standard blockbuster plot that's frame enough for the characters to interact and have a goal. It suffers from typical "legacy-quel" issues, but nothing too distracting. The cameos and small little references to the originals are fun, I thought only the Stay Puft thing was a little too much. Overall, it's fun and funny, but nowhere near the heights of the original. But then again, it's not like anybody should have expected that of it anyways.

Also, I wasn't a fan of Melissa McCarthy's overacting or her character in general. It was just too much and very often verged on annoying.

I felt the opposite, but that's because I typically hate McCarthy. I think she's WAY too over the top in all of her other movie roles, so I enjoyed seeing her keep it in check for this. I guess it's all relative :shrug:

I also respectfully disagree about the exposition in the first half-hour of the movie. I haven't seen OG Ghostbusters since I was, like, four, and I'm pretty sure I never saw the whole thing. I was never a fan. I really only had a vague idea that the movie was about people busting ghosts. Besides, this movie is pretty clearly focused on today's kids, who may or may not have been shown the OG by their parents... you guys seem to be such big fans that you forget that not everyone is to the point that they would show their kids the OG. So, I can see exposition being needed for new audiences.

McCarthy has been pretty polarizing for a lot of people in the past. I always love her when she's on SNL, but I've never really been a huge fan of most of her movie roles. I like what she's doing, I think her brand of funny is just not for me.

And yeah, you're right. I love the fact that young girls can pick up on this and have something of their own, so they did need that exposition. I'm just not sure that doing it through vag fart jokes was the way I'd have gone.

That really surprised me, but I didn't mind it... there's been a turn in comedy in the past few years to be sure, but women usually aren't seen as being vulgar... despite women being pretty darned vulgar when among their lady friends. It's been since that one South Park episode since I've heard a good ***** joke on screen. But considering it is a kids' movie... well, kids do like fart jokes. A lot. I guess it makes sense on all levels.

The talk about the vulgarity cements that this isn't a movie for me. :shrug:

Same reason I don't rush to see any Judd Apatow films.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.