Trump: Explained

Carrie Mathison

Guest El Chalupacabra

I actually liked GHW Bush. Ironically, he was the last president of the WW2 generation, so I don't know if it just speaks to the fact the Boomer Generation sucked that bad, or what, but I think he was a good overall foreign policy president.

In 1996, I didn't vote for Bob Dole, but I respected the man.

In 2000, I didn't like either Bush or Gore. I actually wished John McCain had received the nomination.

In 2004, I liked Wes Clark and Howard Dean. I thought the Dean Scream criticism was a bunch of bullsh*t.

In 2008, I thought McCain had overstayed his shelf life. Selecting Palin did him in for me. But I didn't really like Obama that much, but was the best of the Democratic lot. If Giuliani had made it as the nominee, I would have voted for him.

2012 was the worst in my voting lifetime, until 2016.

I actually liked GHW Bush. Ironically, he was the last president of the WW2 generation, so I don't know if it just speaks to the fact the Boomer Generation sucked that bad, or what, but I think he was a good overall foreign policy president.

In 2000, I didn't like either Bush or Gore. I actually wished John McCain had received the nomination.

In 2004, I liked Wes Clark and Howard Dean. I thought the Dean Scream criticism was a bunch of bullsh*t.

In 2008, I thought McCain had overstayed his shelf life. Selecting Palin did him in for me. But I didn't really like Obama that much, but was the best of the Democratic lot. If Giuliani had made it as the nominee, I would have voted for him.

OMGERD

That's pretty much me in a nutshell.

Voted for Clinton in '96, but didn't think Bob Dole was SATAN as a lot of my friends did.

Would have happily voted for McCain in 2000. Ended up writing in Frank Zappa.

I was at my peak point in "experimenting with conservatism" in 2004, and did not like Howard Dean at the time (though I do today). And yeah, the scream thing was stupid. Ended up voting for Bush out of disdain for John Edwards. Man, I have never felt so vindicated in judging somebody's character as when that guy fell, especially when the stuff about even John Kerry worrying if he had a soul on the 2004 campaign trail came out.

2008, I had soured on Obama and was seriously considering McCain until he chose Palin. Then it became the inverse of 2004 -- voted for Obama out of disdain for Palin.

2012, I voted for Gary Johnson. Not because I am/was a libertarian, just because he seemed like the only decent human being in the bunch.

2016... just **** it.

Guest El Chalupacabra

OMGERD

OMGERD

That's pretty much me in a nutshell.

Voted for Clinton in '96, but didn't think Bob Dole was SATAN as a lot of my friends did.

Would have happily voted for McCain in 2000. Ended up writing in Frank Zappa.

I was at my peak point in "experimenting with conservatism" in 2004, and did not like Howard Dean at the time (though I do today). And yeah, the scream thing was stupid. Ended up voting for Bush out of disdain for John Edwards. Man, I have never felt so vindicated in judging somebody's character as when that guy fell, especially when the stuff about even John Kerry worrying if he had a soul on the 2004 campaign trail came out.

2008, I had soured on Obama and was seriously considering McCain until he chose Palin. Then it became the inverse of 2004 -- voted for Obama out of disdain for Palin.

2012, I voted for Gary Johnson. Not because I am/was a libertarian, just because he seemed like the only decent human being in the bunch.

2016... just **** it.

In my case, I started out more socially conservative when I was younger, but I am now more of a centrist, who tends to lean left on some issues (usually social topics, and domestic policy), and right on others (usually foreign policy).

Actually, I voted libertarian in 2008 and 2012, more out of a misguided idea that if I voted third party to show my disgust for either party, and if enough people did the same, it would affect some kind of positive change in both parties. Unfortunately, I think it is pretty clear that both parties just double downed on idiocy.

If Biden would have run this year I would have been estatic!

Biden wouldn't have been any better than Hillary or Sanders, but I find him a hell of a lot more palatable.

Cool. I was just wondering, since I can't remember a single time on Nightly in 10+ years that you've ever actually voiced support for anyone.

You and I are actually in agreement with GHWB. He's the only candidate in the past 30 years that I would've enthusiastically supported... until Trump, that is.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Cool. I was just wondering, since I can't remember a single time on Nightly in 10+ years that you've ever actually voiced support for anyone.

You and I are actually in agreement with GHWB. He's the only candidate in the past 30 years that I would've enthusiastically supported... until Trump, that is.

Well, in the last 7+ years I've been posting here, there hasn't been anyone worth voicing support for, really.

But I do seem to vaguely remember a thread where the topic of GHWB came up, and I think we both agreed then, as we do now. In retrospect, I don't know that I agree with his domestic policy, but I think he got it when it came to foreign policy. He was a better president than his son, or Reagan for that matter. I don't think its an overstatement to say he was an elder statesman. Probably fair to say, of the presidents since, he was the last one.

We will just have to part company when it comes to Trump.

I am constantly fascinated at the way people think it really matters who is president. It makes sense that a reality TV guy is probably gonna win this thing. And I'm all for it because liberals AND conservative are gonna lose their fkn minds if he does.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.