Watching Again in a New Order with the Small Child

Stevil

So I watched TFA with my four year old daughter. She really liked it although she had a question every thirty seconds. After it finished she asked if there was any more. So I told her we could go back and watch Luke Skywalker when he was younger.

We embarked on the OT after TFA and we've nearly finished ROTJ. We watch in 20-30 minute blocks as her attention wanes around that time.

She had her own Lego Star Wars DVDs so she has an idea who everyone is.

I was quite surprised at some of her reactions. In ANH Her favourite part was when they got the medals at the end. She was upset when R2 got hit and damaged. She was delighted to see Yoda. She was shocked when Darth Vader revealed he was Luke's father. She loved the Ewoks as she's seen the Ewoks movies loads of times.

After Han was frozen in carbonate she said "but he must come back so he can be old in the new one."

When Yoda said that Luke had a sister she said "Maybe it's Princess Leia?".

Smart kid. I was really proud of her!!

So I watched TFA with my four year old daughter. She really liked it although she had a question every thirty seconds. After it finished she asked if there was any more. So I told her we could go back and watch Luke Skywalker when he was younger.

We embarked on the OT after TFA and we've nearly finished ROTJ. We watch in 20-30 minute blocks as her attention wanes around that time.

She had her own Lego Star Wars DVDs so she has an idea who everyone is.

I was quite surprised at some of her reactions. In ANH Her favourite part was when they got the medals at the end. She was upset when R2 got hit and damaged. She was delighted to see Yoda. She was shocked when Darth Vader revealed he was Luke's father. She loved the Ewoks as she's seen the Ewoks movies loads of times.

After Han was frozen in carbonate she said "but he must come back so he can be old in the new one."

When Yoda said that Luke had a sister she said "Maybe it's Princess Leia?".

Smart kid. I was really proud of her!!

You let your daughter watch the Ewok movies?

Time to call the Department of Children's Services on your ass.

Kidding aside, its good that she's able to have the right reaction to some of the OT's key points.

Just watched the end of ROTJ.

Her favourite part was when Darth Vader became good and her favourite character was Princess Leia.

RE: Ewoks... It's been hard to find her something to watch until now as she knows daddy likes Star Wars. So we did Ewoks and Lego Star Wars. We tried clone wars but she was a little too young for that.

Probably the PT next!!

Started TPM tonight.

She spotted R2 straight away amongst the droids. As soon as Anakin walked on screen she said "That's Darth Vader when he's a young boy isn't it Dad!". No hesitation. She also realised straight away that Anakin had made Threepio.

Weird thing is... that Obi Wan is not mentioned by name up until this point in the story (The Sand Storm on Tatooine) so she has no idea he's even in it. Poor writing that.

Yeah. he does. STUPID KID WHY DIDN'T YOU CATCH THAT.

Stevil-- really curious to see if she picks up on Palpatine bing Sidious. My kid did when he first saw it. Which is one up on half the people that were posting on nightly in 1999.

Yeah. he does. STUPID KID WHY DIDN'T YOU CATCH THAT.

Stevil-- really curious to see if she picks up on Palpatine bing Sidious. My kid did when he first saw it. Which is one up on half the people that were posting on nightly in 1999.

I'm not saying the kid should have picked it up, Stevil said his name was said until midway through the movie. Not "my daughter didn't pick it up till halfway through."

We finished TPM today. Her favourite characters were Anakin and Queen Amidala. She really related to having a small child in Star Wars and enjoyed him being on screen. Her favourite part of the movie was when Anakin went in to space. Although I do think her recollection is limited ot the last 20 minutes of anything we watch.

She was delighted to find out that Obi-Wan was Obi-Wan. She loved seeing Yoda and Jabba again. She found Jar Jar silly.

She was worried for Obi Wan when he fell down the hole at the end and all looked lost. But she said he must be OK because he gets old. Quality :)

Driver: I paused on Darth Sidious and asked her who he was. She said it was Darth Maul at first and when I said "No, does he remind you of anyone?" She said "The Emperor!!".

When I have kids, I will tell them how Star Wars was produced and leave it up to them as to which order in which they wish to view them. Of course, this would only include the six movies of the old canon, Tartakovsky's Clone Wars, Filony's The Clone Wars (though I'm not a big fan of it), and possibly (though highly unlikely) the Ewoks movies, simply because I will not own any of the new canon movies. But I'm big on letting people make their own decisions, and I will certainly tell them that the other films are out there and it is up to them as to whether or not they want to watch them. They will have to seek them out on their own, of course.

They will also have access to my Expanded Universe library whenever they wish to take their first steps into a larger world (but God help them if they mess up the order).

You know, I think I'm starting to see why I'm not married.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.