Lesson: Don't do math on a plane.

Ms. Spam

Ivy League economist ethnically profiled, interrogated for doing math on American Airlines flight

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/rampage/wp/2016/05/07/ivy-league-economist-interrogated-for-doing-math-on-american-airlines-flight/

On Thursday evening, a 40-year-old man — with dark, curly hair, olive skin and an exotic foreign accent — boarded a plane. It was a regional jet making a short, uneventful hop from Philadelphia to nearby Syracuse.

Or so dozens of unsuspecting passengers thought.
This is why you should take upper level maths. So you do not accuse people of being islam terrorists.

This is why you should take upper level maths. So you do not accuse people of being islam terrorists.

I am awful at maths. Terrible.

But maybe I am smarter than your average bear regardless because I could very, very easily distinguish between an equation and Arabic.

But I prefer to think that this lady is painfully stupid, because can't anyone see the bright, glaring differences between a mathematical equation and Arabic?

Bueller?

Just to be different- if he were using one of the more compact mathematical notation systems, and had even slightly sloppy handwriting, I could see how someone might mistake the writing for Arabic, especially if they're not familiar with Arabic in the first place.

Combined with being tanned and bearded with writing in funny symbols, he was suspicious. The problem is that successful terrorists are not so obvious. Mohammed Atta was clean-shaven, had short hair, and was light skinned. He probably looked more stereotypically American than most Americans.

Apparently people really do want 100% security, and no suspicious sign is too small to ignore. Such vigilance isn't going to have positive consequences.

Combined with being tanned and bearded with writing in funny symbols, he was suspicious. The problem is that successful terrorists are not so obvious. Mohammed Atta was clean-shaven, had short hair, and was light skinned. He probably looked more stereotypically American than most Americans.

Apparently people really do want 100% security, and no suspicious sign is too small to ignore. Such vigilance isn't going to have positive consequences.

...and I bet the same idiot who profiled this innocent person would not blink an eye if the man looked like Tom Brady, and was reading a copy of The Turner Diaries. Would not raise a single eyebrow, but you might hear him defend the "a free man's right to read and sell what you want."

Maybe the lesson is to not take upper level maths. So you do not become a terrorist.

Actually, the correct lesson to draw from this is "Don't sit next to idiots when you're on a plane."

Nit everyone can afford a private plane.

Can't say I blame them. That Al-Gebra is one nasty terrorist organization!

I would LOVE to see if there's some politician stupid enough to read a fake report titled "The growing threat of Al-Gebra" and totally buy it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.