Alden Ehrenreich to Play Han Solo

TuskenRaider

I think most people just don't want anymore Indys.

I've always thought Indy is a perfect candidate for passing the torch like they did for Bond. You've got a distinctive character with easily recognizable traits and an easily replicable plot formula. Each actor could give their own take on the character.

I’d go for a young Marion show... you know, one that points out that she was only 13-15, when she had an affair with Indy.

That doesn't sound fun to watch :(

That was the olden days though. Days when Jerry Lee Lewis married his 13 year old cousin and no one said anything.

It did pretty much wreck his career.

Was that Chewie and another Wookiee at one point? Is Lumpy now canon? I hope so.

Hoping that's Malla.

I've heard elsewhere that it is Malla. There are a lot of things from this film taken straight from the EU--Cloud Riders (from 1978's Marvel Star Wars #8), swoop bikes (from the same comic, as well as 1996's Shadows of the Empire and and 2003's Knights of the Old Republic and other sources), the planet Mimban (from 1978's Splinter of the Mind's Eye), the planet Vandor (from the Jedi Apprentice series), and, of course, Mallatobuck, aka "Malla" (Chewie's wife from 1978's The Star Wars Holiday Special). It also features Tag and Bink, who were never canon, but now may be in some capacity.

There is a chance this may just fit within the original canon (the EU) like Rogue One and Rebels could. Or, it could simply take all of these things and remix them in a way that is completely different and cannot fit. In any case, I am mildly interested. I actually have someone scoping out for me on opening night (well, not for me exclusively): Joe Bongiorno, author of StarWarsTimeline.net, whom I got to know a decade ago on the now-defunct Dark Horse Comics message boards and have recently come back into contact with. Joe and I have been swapping many ideas, and I even convinced him how The Force Unleashed multimedia project can fit, where before he was convinced it couldn't. You guys seriously have no idea how much fun chronicling is!

Anyway, Joe will be checking it out on opening night, whereas I am going to hang back and wait for his verdict before checking it out myself.

Neat trailer!

I agree with you-- I think it is they are retouching out the seams around the mask eye holes. It makes it look less like a mask, but it's such a departure it seems off.

That said-- TFA, TLJ, and Solo especially it seems are giving us a Chewie that's way more physical than he ever was in the OT and I've really enjoyed that. Chewie running, climbing, planting bombs, etc in TFA was a surprise to see. Even in his youth Peter Mayhew wasn't particularly physical.

I disagree with the notion that a movie cannot be good if people know what will happen. That completely goes against at least 3 things.

1-Book adaptations. Many, many books have been adapted into movies and many of those books have been turned into great movies despite the fact that many viewers would have read the book and known what happens, even in greater detail than we would have known what was to happen in the prequels.

2-Movies based on history. This is probably even more apt than the book adaptation. Many times in movies based on history the audience will know the gist of what happened and the movie, hopefully, will add to that and give us a better understanding of what happened. That's pretty much exactly what the prequels was supposed to do.

3-Rewatchable movies. Based on your logic once someone watches a movie once it can't be enjoyable to do so again. After seeing it once we know what happens, so any subsequent viewing can no longer be good.

The fact is the prequels had every chance to be great movies and eventhough Im a fan I freely admit they are not that.

I disagree with the notion that a movie cannot be good if people know what will happen. That completely goes against at least 3 things.

1-Book adaptations. Many, many books have been adapted into movies and many of those books have been turned into great movies despite the fact that many viewers would have read the book and known what happens, even in greater detail than we would have known what was to happen in the prequels.

2-Movies based on history. This is probably even more apt than the book adaptation. Many times in movies based on history the audience will know the gist of what happened and the movie, hopefully, will add to that and give us a better understanding of what happened. That's pretty much exactly what the prequels was supposed to do.

3-Rewatchable movies. Based on your logic once someone watches a movie once it can't be enjoyable to do so again. After seeing it once we know what happens, so any subsequent viewing can no longer be good.

The fact is the prequels had every chance to be great movies and eventhough Im a fan I freely admit they are not that.

It's not an automatic disinterest, but like I said-- you'd need to do something unexpected due to people knowing the outcome. The journey is as important as the ending.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Sorry, my post was obviously meant for the other thread.

And yet it is valid here too! Especially the aspect of re-watch-ability. I've said that here before that re-watch-ability is very important for any Star Wars film. How re-watchable Solo will be is definitely going to be an issue for me. That is the biggest problem I have with the ST. Less so with TFA, really. As a film by itself, TFA is re-watchable. TLJ is now very hard for me to even WANT to re-watch, but since it picks up right after TFA, TLJ does affect TFA's re-watch-ability, too. Rogue One, I can re-watch all day long. Hopefully Solo is more like Rogue One. And as for the PT, at least (for me, anyway) it has re-watch-ability value. Even TPM does, though I have to admit I have to skip parts of the movie, like the dragged out pod race scene and pretty much everything else on Tatooine.

• 2 weeks later...

I really hope we do not see the Kessel Run. I hope Disney allows some things to reside in our imaginations.

Like the interior of the Jedi Temple on Jedha?

I'm not that interested in demystifying or ticking off a list of locations and Kessel Run-esque things either; I want an interesting plot more than anything else.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I really hope we do not see the Kessel Run. I hope Disney allows some things to reside in our imaginations.

Not going to comment on that specifically because spoilers, but I agree with you. The Kessel Run should be something everyone talks about, but you never see. Sort of like the briefcase in Pulp Fiction.

Yeah, I'm not sure the rest of the world thinks of the Kessel Run as something that mysterious. We have to remember the film isn't aimed at Star Wars fans that post on a SW-centric messageboard regularly for almost two decades.

Maybe the Kessel Run will wind up being that part in the teaser trailer with the huge monster. Probably not.

I also noticed in the trailer when Woody Harrelson is saying the line about everyone betraying you, they have a shot of Lando when the words "betray you" are heard. Wonder if Lando will betray Han in this movie too. :D

Maybe the Kessel Run will wind up being that part in the teaser trailer with the huge monster. Probably not.

I also noticed in the trailer when Woody Harrelson is saying the line about everyone betraying you, they have a shot of Lando when the words "betray you" are heard. Wonder if Lando will betray Han in this movie too. :D

I bet the other way around.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.