Alden Ehrenreich to Play Han Solo

TuskenRaider

Guest El Chalupacabra

Maybe the space in the mandible is an escape pod that was used?

It's a mini-rig.

Or it could be the mandible opens and closes, and is closed on the ship while Lando owns it, and gets stuck open under Han.

Joking aside (but I would be kinda delighted it would be so), I think it may open vertically, and connect to larger cargo like in this concept art: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/File:YT_freight_pusher.jpg

I also thought of that, too. Could go either way. Or possibly both. The Lando version looks more narrow in the front, like the mandibles close, and perhaps the center is retractable, too. I am interested in knowing why we get the falcon we know. Is it a case where it is broken, or is it intentionally left like that to disguise the falcon?

Guest El Chalupacabra

Using the Occam's razor approach, it would suggest you are probably right. But 10 year old me believed that the mandibles moved in some way, or plugged into something else.

This is an interesting gamble on Disney's part. We already know all we need to know about Han Solo, so diving into his past with someone who's not Harrison Ford has the potential to smell like feces.

I agree with Tank's comment about Lando likely stealing the show, primarily because we've seen so little of him. We all need more Lando.

Han Solo, however, has been beaten to death. I'm sure many will disagree, but he was always best as a supporting character. He's in good company that way, though. Look at Hannibal Lector. He had very little screen time in Silence of the Lambs, but when they made a movie that focused on him it fell flat. Goodbye, Clarice.

Even in the Star Wars saga, don't most of us wish we could forget Darth Vader's past? He's a great character, but he melts under the spotlight.

I really am hoping this movie works. You'll never hear me lodge a complain lodge against Lucasfilms with regards to any form of sexual misconduct, but I don't want to see this franchise continue to devolve into blatant money grabs. I know it may sound futile, but I'd like to see Star Wars return to the lofty status it once had.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I agree with many of your points about Han Solo, and I am fearful of ruining the character, as well. At this time, I am trying to be positive and I really do hope the Solo movie ends up being a sleeper hit. I am not a fan of who they chose to play Han Solo, but I think there is a lot going for the film, with Ron Howard as director, having Lando in it, and Woody Harrelson in it. The FX look really polished and remind me of Rogue One which is the one "new" Star Wars movie I seem to like more and more as time goes on. I don't think anyone who really is a Star Wars fan wants to see a Star Wars movie fail (as a film, not financially...we all know Star Wars movies just basically print their own money), and I think so far, the Solo movie looks like it may be at least adequate. I hope it is a lot more FUN than The Last Jedi. I did not hate TLJ, and actually on my second viewing, liked it much better than the first time through, but I cannot say that it was a FUN movie.

Kinda interesting, Kasdan said he was hired by Lucas to write this movie before Lucasfilm was sold to Disney. Basically was working on Solo then was asked to help with TFA. When done with that he was a bit burnt out and asked Disney to hire his son to help him write it.

Just interesting that it seems like Lucas was for whatever reason deciding to expand Star Wars cinematically. Now did he do this to somewhat build a development catalog to sell. Or did he decide to make these movies then early in the process thing "Geez, I don't want to do this work."

He was building up the catalog to sell as you said - he already had Ford, Fisher and Hamill on board for the sequels before Disney were approached and Kennedy was working on concepts for spin off movies. The Lucas biography by Brian Jay Jones goes into a bit towards the end, but definitely his intention to expand Star Wars cinematically for the sale.

Kinda interesting, Kasdan said he was hired by Lucas to write this movie before Lucasfilm was sold to Disney. Basically was working on Solo then was asked to help with TFA. When done with that he was a bit burnt out and asked Disney to hire his son to help him write it.

Casual little bit of nepotism there

:shrug: Nepotism and networking aren't the same thing.

It's not strictly nepotism, but the way I read the story it sounded closer to nepotism than networking.

I'm not saying he doesn't have "the chops", Spielberg saw him in this video and... well here it is... it's just from Wikipedia:

He was then contacted by DreamWorks, a studio which Spielberg helped found, and met with its casting director. Spielberg said: "[Ehrenreich] was in a bat mitzvah video that my daughter acted with him in for their best friend. They showed me the video and I loved it and I got him an agent. That's sort of how it all began."

I'm not slagging him, that's how the world works. Just saying It's not exactly the story of some young kid from Idaho moving to Hollywood with nothing but a dream in his pocket.

I guess I was imagining being one of the other hardworking actors auditioning, but then the casting director at Dreamworks gets a call from Spielberg: "you should really meet with my daughter's friend -- you'll love him. I'll bet he gets the part."

If Spielberg felt the kid was just that talented then yes thats how it works.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.