Alden Ehrenreich to Play Han Solo

TuskenRaider

Breaking Bad had 62 episodes. That's 3720 hours.

Next Generation had 178 episodes. That's 10,680 hours.

Mad Men: 92/5520

LOST: 121/7260

Star Wars is up to about 17-18 hours total for movies.

Quality has nothing to do with quality.

You could argue it makes it less of a special event. You could also argue that it could lean to burn out/disinterest (like I have with perfectly good Marvel movies). But as long as they keep trying with new creators, there's no reason to say it will automatically suck.

I got bored of breaking Bad after season 04, and thought it declined, though I heard it had a return to form.

Never watched star trek.

Mad Men was the same **** season after season and nothing actually happened but for some reason people like it.

And Lost.. well... got lost up itself. I only saw the first season.

If 10 writing and production teams each took 10 years to develop their movies, and their starting times were staggered, then each release could have a decade of development while still having a film released every year. Granted, I know only what Tank tells us about the inside of the Hollywood production scene, but my mathematics is sound.

Sure but I bet Disney does not work to that timescale.
That's pretty much exactly what they do. One production team is working on a movie at a time. TFA started production first. Rogue One was in pre-production while TFA was filming. Rogue One started filming while TFA was in post-production. After TFA came out, they immediately started filming TLJ. Etc, etc, etc.

There is a reason George Lucas picked Kathleen Kennedy to head Lucasfilm. She is a producer with a long-standing track record of producing popular blockbuster movies. You don't bring her in without making at least a movie per year. And it's not just Disney - they started planning TFA before George considered selling.

Well I hope you're all right and the quality doesn't drop. But I remain sceptical.

Under her rule Ive seen two good Star Wars movies, and one flawed, but not terrible one. Thats as good of a track record as anyone else in Hollywood.

Yup. And, I mean, the point isn't really whether Kennedy makes good movies or not, but whether or not a company led by her can effectively produce a movie per year. It can.

Bringing this back around to Solo, there won't be another Star Wars movie after it until December 2019. And then we don't know when the next one will come out, or what it will be.

Under her rule Ive seen two good Star Wars movies, and one flawed, but not terrible one. Thats as good of a track record as anyone else in Hollywood.

Yup. And, I mean, the point isn't really whether Kennedy makes good movies or not, but whether or not a company led by her can effectively produce a movie per year. It can.

I'd argue they can, but not without reliance on formulaic filmmaking. They all will look and watch very slick... but the identity of "star wars" will be quite superficial. It's only the dressing that will distinguish SW from any Thor/cap/xmen film.

But I apologise for derailing the thread.

Under her rule I’ve seen two good Star Wars movies, and one flawed, but not terrible one. That’s as good of a track record as anyone else in Hollywood.

Like I said, competent. She's managing Star Wars into a slow decline of diminishing returns. But, outside of Johnson's Rey/Luke/Ben parts, they're just not very interesting movies. Once they've completed another half-dozen unmemorable movies, audiences will look back and not have any feelings whatsoever about them. And once the magic is gone, there's nothing about Kennedy that makes me think she's the person to bring it back. It's just not in her.

What Star Wars really needs is a combo of Lucas, Kennedy, and a fanboy. Creative vision, technical competence, and passion.

I just get baffled when people act concerned about the quality dropping when we've already had the prequels.

I'll take the Prequels any day. Flawed as they might be, there was a fearless recklessness to them that kept them fresh and interesting. For good or ill, the Prequels have found a place within the culture and obviously did no lasting damage to the reputation of the franchise. I've mentioned it before, but Lucas was a great steward for Star Wars. If not for a quirk in Lucas's contract, Fox would have kept control of the franchise and run it into the ground decades ago even if they continued to make good competent movies for awhile.

We're pretty much seeing that happen now.

Even though I don't care about the new films, if I could give Lucasfilm one piece of advice, it would be the following: take a hiatus from Star Wars after the year 2020. I know the new blood is excited about having control of the intellectual property (as can be seen with the BB-8 brand oranges, for crying out loud), but they need to calm down a bit. Step away for just a couple of years and focus on other projects, then come back once they've had a breather.

The new (old, I suppose, or original) dish is apparently circular, but flush with the hull, making it harder to spot (and less likely to get knocked off, I guess).

I wonder if the Falcon we will see in Solo is a stock, off-the-assembly-line model, or whether it has been upgraded and embellished by Lando and is no longer really "stock". I don't recall whether the mandibles and dish were there in the brief glimpse we got of the freighter in ROTS.

Certainly Han is a lot harder on the vessel than Lando appears to have been. Between Solo and ESB, "what have you done to my ship?!" is a more interesting question now!

The new (old, I suppose, or original) dish is apparently circular, but flush with the hull, making it harder to spot (and less likely to get knocked off, I guess).

I wonder if the Falcon we will see in Solo is a stock, off-the-assembly-line model, or whether it has been upgraded and embellished by Lando and is no longer really "stock". I don't recall whether the mandibles and dish were there in the brief glimpse we got of the freighter in ROTS.

Certainly Han is a lot harder on the vessel than Lando appears to have been. Between Solo and ESB, "what have you done to my ship?!" is a more interesting question now!

The space between the mandibles is filled in. It actually has a lot of the smooth details McQuarries original concept art had. So yeah, Im assuming the Falcon is either new, or just kept pristine by Lando.

Theres a shot of Lando and his droid at the controls in the trailer, my guess is the Falcon is Landos and well see it change hands after a card game (sabacc yeah yeah I know Zerimar) in this movie.

Also, why does the mobile version of Nightly remove all my apostrophes?

If ROTS really did give us a glimpse of the Falcon, then by the time of Solo she has to be at least 15 years old, if the story is at least 5 years before ANH. I guess Lando really does like to keep his ship pristine. Certainly matches the aesthetic of Cloud City, which may be why he ended up there!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.