Alden Ehrenreich to Play Han Solo

TuskenRaider

Guest El Chalupacabra

Tank, you know me, at least through posting for years now. I am not one of these anti-SJW complainers. Forget my last part about female lead straightening out the male lead. I have no problems with strong female leads. I just don't want to see Han Solo turned into a moron. I may be over reacting from the rumors we've been reading about, and that one scene I saw. I'll grant that. But that one scene reminded me of all those rumors. It did NOT make me think "Wow, this guy is going to be an AWESOME Han Solo."

Also there is something lost in translation from film to text in your examples...at least with the OT. Han does NOT come off like an idiot, largely due to how Harrison Ford portrays him in the OT. He did come off like an idiot slightly in TFA, but I think that has more to do with Harrison Ford kind of not having any special attachment to Han Solo. We all know the only reason he agreed to TFA, other than the pay check, was that he was finally going to be done with Han Solo once and for all, because they killed him off.

But in the OT? Han Solo was one of my biggest heroes growing up. He was far from a moron.

Also, I have to say that the issues I bring up is because it is Han Solo. Not some brand new character. If it were, they could do whatever they want and I would not have an issue. But being Han Solo, I have like almost 40 years of what I think Han Solo ought to be in my head.

^That's what Zahn wants you to think! The same guy who came up with Bpfassh and Qwi Xux must've come up with Qi'ra. The apostrophe is a dead giveaway!!

Tim Zahn did NOT come up with Qwi Xux. That was from the Jedi Academy trilogy. Don't insult him like that. :p

Oh. I see. Carry on then.

Still, the apostrophe wasn't strictly necessary, was it? Qi'ra - Qira - Kira. Should've just called her Bria.

Chalup - Solo is no moron, of course. He just doesn't always think before doing something.

Can't quote on my work computer, but to the person who pointed out that a movie every year is starting to look like the cheapening of the franchise: I said this way back when it was first announced that there would be a new movie every year!

Being right 99.9% of the time is not as great as you might think it is. It is very much a curse.

And I believe I said somewhere that there will soon be 2 or even 3 movies a year. I'm not sure why people think there's a link between frequency of release and quality of story. I'm sure there are different people working on the stories, so creative burnout shouldn't be a problem.

Only real Star Wars fans would be this upset about a story about a beloved character.

Guest El Chalupacabra

And I believe I said somewhere that there will soon be 2 or even 3 movies a year. I'm not sure why people think there's a link between frequency of release and quality of story.

And I believe I said somewhere that there will soon be 2 or even 3 movies a year. I'm not sure why people think there's a link between frequency of release and quality of story. I'm sure there are different people working on the stories, so creative burnout shouldn't be a problem.

Only real Star Wars fans would be this upset about a story about a beloved character.

I don't think frequency NECESSARILY equates to quality, or lack thereof, either.

And for the record, I am not upset about the Han Solo movie. I was just voicing my initial reactions and concerns. But we all know the Han Solo movie will make a butt-load of money, and my opinion (and the rest of us on nightly) is nothing but a drop in the ocean.

It's kinda funny. There isially seems to be a Han Solo-inspired character in sci-fi (most notably Malcom Reynolds), but something with the actual dude is somehow sacrosanct.

(edit: not a direct reply to Chalup. A generalized observation across the web.)

You obviously don't spend much time gaming. Annual releases of games have a direct correlation to decline quality in terms of story and content. It stands to reason that the same principal applies to film.

Breaking Bad had 62 episodes. That's 3720 hours.

Next Generation had 178 episodes. That's 10,680 hours.

Mad Men: 92/5520

LOST: 121/7260

Star Wars is up to about 17-18 hours total for movies.

Quality has nothing to do with quality.

You could argue it makes it less of a special event. You could also argue that it could lean to burn out/disinterest (like I have with perfectly good Marvel movies). But as long as they keep trying with new creators, there's no reason to say it will automatically suck.

What's with all the downer attitudes? It's a Star Wars film - it'll have battles, humor, spaceships, and droids. What more does anyone need from a blockbuster film? It's better than getting a Boba Fett film, or a documentary on Old Republic Senate procedures.

When it was first announced I thought it was just me, but it doesn't seem like fans really cared about having a Han Solo movie. Then you hear all this nightmare crap about the production. Fired director, lead can't act, yada yada yada. With the reaction to TLJ people are acting cautious because they want to like it, but aren't sure if it will be good.

OK, I can see where the attitude comes from now. I guess even I had that stance early on (according to this very thread). But whether it is good and whether people will like it are two different things. Lots of critics loved TLJ. I did too. But the "fans"...the usual expectations and desires of fans seems to have not been met. Having expectations about Star Wars is generally a bad idea, in my opinion, as it will inevitably lead to disappointment. Unless you're the fan who gets to make the movie - then you'll just catch a lot of flak from other fans for not making their movie.

No, I don't game much anymore. I would love to see the data on quality and release frequency, though. Not sure the relationship must hold for other media though.

Its about trying to squeeze quality out of a team of creatives. You just cant squeeze a group of writers/artists by feeding them cash and expect quality to come out year after year on time and to deadlines. Creativity just doesn't work like that. I wish it would.. my life would be a lot easier.. but most things, particularly creative things (stories, images, songs, games, ideas) take time to gestate. And that time can vary wildly depending on the team of individuals (plus how many individuals) working on a project. And even if you try and get all the variables and even the same writing team on board, it doesn't mean they are going to get project B to be anywhere near the quality of project A. And it can be as simple as all the ideas that came out that year might just be shit for no logical reason whatsoever. Or person A doesn't jive with person B. Or Producer C wants this subtext put in.. fuck whatever.. you get the point.

You can try to mitigate some of these variables by trying to meet certain kinds of targets or following certain kinds of criteria, formula if you will, in storytelling (or content in the games industry) which is why so many of our modern blockbusters always go the same way (which is what I'm complaining about) not necessarily for the better. Creativity demands lengthy gestation time. The OT was George Lucas' passion project. How many decades did he have gestating those stories??

Unfortunately we don't have that luxury. But there is a difference between making a passion project once a decade and smashing out the same old shit every year. Disney dont have to release a Star Wars movie every year. But they will because they know the audience will lap that up no matter what shit we get served. (We all paid to watch the PT after all... But that doesn't mean we have to be content with being served formulaic action movies year after year with the same story and negligible variance.) I'd much rather writers took several years to let ideas germinate and flourish... be edited for content, so we know that when a story is being released its the BEST ****ing idea anyone could come up with, and its a really compelling story with passion. Which is the whole thing I think is lacking here. Because it is not given time to flourish.

If 10 writing and production teams each took 10 years to develop their movies, and their starting times were staggered, then each release could have a decade of development while still having a film released every year. Granted, I know only what Tank tells us about the inside of the Hollywood production scene, but my mathematics is sound.

You could argue it makes it less of a special event. You could also argue that it could lean to burn out/disinterest (like I have with perfectly good Marvel movies). But as long as they keep trying with new creators, there's no reason to say it will automatically suck.

I got bored of breaking Bad after season 04, and thought it declined, though I heard it had a return to form.

Never watched star trek.

Mad Men was the same shit season after season and nothing actually happened but for some reason people like it.

And Lost.. well... got lost up itself. I only saw the first season.

If 10 writing and production teams each took 10 years to develop their movies, and their starting times were staggered, then each release could have a decade of development while still having a film released every year. Granted, I know only what Tank tells us about the inside of the Hollywood production scene, but my mathematics is sound.

Sure but I bet Disney does not work to that timescale.

Yeah you know Disney must really be worried about the Star Wars franchise since it has only managed to be the top grossing movie in the US Domestic market and the top 1 or 2 worldwide over the past 3 years. That means that Solo will probably do really bad as well. :rolleyes: :shrug:They should really stop making such unsuccessful movies...

P.S. The Solo trailer looks great. Can't wait :thumbsup:

I don't get the whole line of thinking. Twice in my life I've thought we were done with Star Wars movies and I'm guessing most people thought the same. All these movies are bonuses, they are gifts. Much like gifts some will be better than others. When you run out to your XMas tree in your little footie pajamas there are all kinds of gifts. There may be that Mountain Bike you wanted forever and one of the boxes probably has some tube socks in it. The tube socks don't make the mountain bike any less awesome. Not that I think we've been given tube socks by Disney yet by any means but yeah if they keep putting out movies every year we are gonna get tube socks once in a while but we are probably gonna get some mountain bikes too.

And yeah if they keep releasing a movie any year it does get less special but Ill use another analogy for that. I grew up with some cousins who lived near and we were very close, more like brothers than cousins. Through life we are now fairly spread out and only see each other once in a while and yeah when we do see each other its special and we appreciate it. I'd still rather they lived close.

What is the downside of a movie a year? That you go to a movie and don't enjoy it? Oh the horror!! The upside is a movie you may love and have with you for the rest of your life. If you don;t like one, just dont see it again. Don't buy it on home media. It really should have no further effect on your life than that 2-3 hours you spent watching it. Whereas one you do like/love could be something you cherish forever. I'd take 5 bad ones to get the one good one all day long.

And maybe if they do keep making movies every year the quality will fall off, it might not but it could happen. If that happens and the movies aren't good and aren't events then guess what? Disney will stop making the movies. Again, oh the horror!! How will we live if they stop making Star Wars movies? Oh wait, that's right its already happened twice.

Yeah you know Disney must really be worried about the Star Wars franchise since it has only managed to be the top grossing movie in the US Domestic market and the top 1 or 2 worldwide over the past 3 years. That means that Solo will probably do really bad as well. :rolleyes: :shrug:They should really stop making such unsuccessful movies...

P.S. The Solo trailer looks great. Can't wait :thumbsup:

? I wasn't making a comment on the commercial viablitly of anything.

I'm assuming that's a typo and you meant minutes instead of hours since they're divisible by 60.

Reading it back I’m not sure what I was saying. I’m possibly high.

I got bored of breaking Bad after season 04, and thought it declined, though I heard it had a return to form.

Never watched star trek.

Mad Men was the same **** season after season and nothing actually happened but for some reason people like it.

And Lost.. well... got lost up itself. I only saw the first season.

Sure but I bet Disney does not work to that timescale.
That's pretty much exactly what they do. One production team is working on a movie at a time. TFA started production first. Rogue One was in pre-production while TFA was filming. Rogue One started filming while TFA was in post-production. After TFA came out, they immediately started filming TLJ. Etc, etc, etc.

There is a reason George Lucas picked Kathleen Kennedy to head Lucasfilm. She is a producer with a long-standing track record of producing popular blockbuster movies. You don't bring her in without making at least a movie per year. And it's not just Disney - they started planning TFA before George considered selling.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.