Alden Ehrenreich to Play Han Solo

TuskenRaider

What's with all the downer attitudes? It's a Star Wars film - it'll have battles, humor, spaceships, and droids. What more does anyone need from a blockbuster film? It's better than getting a Boba Fett film, or a documentary on Old Republic Senate procedures.

Iawd I hope they don't make Han Solo too much of a goofball. Kind of seems like it in this preview, anyway. What is up with taking long time beloved male characters, deconstructing them to be some half ass failure who is an over confident bumbler that only succeeds only through serendipity and luck, and sometimes wouldn't succeed without a female lead to straighten him out about life because he's such a man child (clarification: the issue is not having a strong female lead, the issue is the male lead being a doofus)? Sort of just nullifies the character, and the character's accomplishments. I get a flawed hero is interesting, but not to the point where it destroys the character, or makes one question why they are even a hero to be cared about in the first place. This was done to an extent with Kirk in the reboot movies. If they turn Han Solo into this, I will be upset.

What in this trailer makes Han appear incompetent or bumbling? He's clearly a great pilot from the scenes we saw. Is it the "everything's fine" part? Because that is 100% an homage to ANH - not to mention meta commentary on all the reshoot/director change stuff behind the scenes.

Considering the rumor (?) that original film directors were let go because the film's tone was too humorous, I don't think Han Solo will be "too much" of a goofball. He's not going to be 70-year-old Han Solo serious, though. Snarky, and maybe more overconfident than in his later years, but he wouldn't be Han Solo if he wasn't a cocky scoundrel.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Iawd I hope they don't make Han Solo too much of a goofball. Kind of seems like it in this preview, anyway. What is up with taking long time beloved male characters, deconstructing them to be some half ass failure who is an over confident bumbler that only succeeds only through serendipity and luck, and sometimes wouldn't succeed without a female lead to straighten him out about life because he's such a man child (clarification: the issue is not having a strong female lead, the issue is the male lead being a doofus)? Sort of just nullifies the character, and the character's accomplishments. I get a flawed hero is interesting, but not to the point where it destroys the character, or makes one question why they are even a hero to be cared about in the first place. This was done to an extent with Kirk in the reboot movies. If they turn Han Solo into this, I will be upset.

What in this trailer makes Han appear incompetent or bumbling? He's clearly a great pilot from the scenes we saw. Is it the "everything's fine" part? Because that is 100% an homage to ANH - not to mention meta commentary on all the reshoot/director change stuff behind the scenes.

What I am saying is I hope it doesn't turn out that way based on the rumored rewrites, and his being all smug then almost running into crap. If that scene is just one scene and is a homage, then I am ok with it. But that was my fear seeing the scene.

I just don't want Han Solo dumbed down into some Don Quixote/Dudley Doorite/ Homer Simpson moron character. I want him more like how Harrison Ford portrayed Han Solo and Indiana Jones. That is what I mean.

What's with all the downer attitudes? It's a Star Wars film - it'll have battles, humor, spaceships, and droids. What more does anyone need from a blockbuster film? It's better than getting a Boba Fett film, or a documentary on Old Republic Senate procedures.

I was already starting to feel this way after TLJ. Quite strongly.

Just the whole.. Star Wars film every year thing is making me think Disney is just churning out polished turds. Like the Assassins Creed franchise. Nothing good comes of annual releases. And the trailer for this SOLO movie just reinforced that to me.

The old feelings have gone and been replaced by something that is similar..but feels different. Kind of hollow. Don't get me wrong, I'll still see it and I'll still give Disney my money like a chump. But as time passes as I think more on the films that we have, the things that are upcoming, and everything Disney has done with the story and characters thus far... The less Star Wars it feels and the more Xmen, Avengers, Batman, INSERT ANY FRANCHISE DRESSED as Star Wars it really is.

And I cant really put my finger on anything specific, or give a more satisfactory answer than that. But the mojo, I fear, is gone. Or at risk of being gone. Until this formulaic style of film-making (that is guaranteed to make bank) is ditched and something a little more....inspired comes along.

But for now I don't see anything being presented other than another run of the mill action roller coaster ride. And that's boring as ****. (to me anyway). Star Wars used to be MUCH more than that. But again.. I cant articulate exactly why. Its just a feel, man.

It's not wrong, Chalup, I just don't see where you're pulling this "worry" from. Doesn't seem "idiocy" on Han Solo's part is going to be a problem.

And, Odine, sorry to say - you're just getting old. Star Wars has never been more than battles, humor, spaceships, and droids. They're the je ne sais quoi of Star Wars. It's a not a philosophical masterpiece of drama and characterization.

I said nothing about his idiocy. I was just down on the whole thing based on the formulaic trailer..and my experience of TLJ.

Whether Han is a goofball or not is the least of my worries.

My statement about him "hes no Harrison Ford" was more referring to his voice timbre...sounding nothing like the Han Solo I know. But again.... Thats the least of my worries

I know you didn't, Odine. Anyway, he probably doesn't have Harrison Ford's chin scar, either. Wonder if they'll cover that detail the way they did in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

This won't be the first time someone has to play a younger version of Ford's character. I don't recall there being so much uproar about casting a young Indy, for instance.

Right on.

I'm a huge Trek fan too, and that's had a few misses in its very long history. It's endured.

I'm not worried about more Star Wars and any of its film being less successful than others.

This won't be the first time someone has to play a younger version of Ford's character. I don't recall there being so much uproar about casting a young Indy, for instance.

I'm starting to enjoy the divide now. There's a chorus of petulant cacophony that gives me giggles.

I know you didn't, Odine. Anyway, he probably doesn't have Harrison Ford's chin scar, either. Wonder if they'll cover that detail the way they did in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

I make one remark....

My comments a less geared specifically to this film in particular. However I'm just voicing them now, because this trailer spurred me to do so. Take it for what you will, but I'm not being a nerdy fanboy bitching about particulars. I'm just aware of a sort of loss of soul.

Guest El Chalupacabra

It's not wrong, Chalup, I just don't see where you're pulling this "worry" from. Doesn't seem "idiocy" on Han Solo's part is going to be a problem.

And, Odine, sorry to say - you're just getting old. Star Wars has never been more than battles, humor, spaceships, and droids. They're the je ne sais quoi of Star Wars. It's a not a philosophical masterpiece of drama and characterization.

Mostly from the rumors of the rewrites, and the scene I spoke of. Maybe I am being pessimistic. I don't know.

I also read that the young woman featured in the teaser is a character named Kira. Interesting they are recycling Rey's original draft name.

Apparently it is now Qi'ra, just to be "exotic", I suppose. Did Timothy Zahn take a crack at the script, or what?

Guest El Chalupacabra

I also read that the young woman featured in the teaser is a character named Kira. Interesting they are recycling Rey's original draft name.

Apparently it is now Qi'ra, just to be "exotic", I suppose. Did Timothy Zahn take a crack at the script, or what?

Maybe they were afraid of legal issues, considering there is a Kira from DS9, so they spelled it differently, to avoid them?

Gawd I hope they don't make Han Solo too much of a goofball. Kind of seems like it in this preview, anyway.

"We're all fine down here.. now... uh.. how are you?"

"Hey-- It's me." (Luke and Leia exchange a "this ****ing guy" look... Solo steps on a twig and alerts a storm trooper.)

"It'll work.... (ten seconds later) ...they aren't going for it."

Leia: I thought this guy was your friend.

Chewie: GNNRAAAAA

Han: Yeah, well-- that was a along time ago I'm sure he's forgotten about that.

"You should have seen us alone together in the south passage... she showed her true feelings for me..."

"Move, Ball."

Han: Guys-- have I never not delivered for you before?

Death Gang dude: Yeah.

Kanjiklub dude: Twice.

(Chewie nods)

Han:... what was the second one?

Yeah, I don't think there's anything off here at all.

What is up with taking long time beloved male characters, deconstructing them to be some half ass failure who is an over confident bumbler that only succeeds only through serendipity and luck, and sometimes wouldn't succeed without a female lead to straighten him out about life because he's such a man child (clarification: the issue is not having a strong female lead, the issue is the male lead being a doofus)? Sort of just nullifies the character, and the character's accomplishments. I get a flawed hero is interesting, but not to the point where it destroys the character, or makes one question why they are even a hero to be cared about in the first place. This was done to an extent with Kirk in the reboot movies. If they turn Han Solo into this, I will be upset.

KATHELEEN KENNEDY FEMINIST CONSPIRACY!!!!!!!! LET'S MAKE AN ONLINE PETITION TO GET HER FIRED!

Did the music sound Rebels-esque?

Sounded like a cross between John Williams and Inception, to me. These days EVERY trailer sounds like Inception for some unknown reason. I guess that's what the kids call hip.

BWAAAAAAAAAMMMM

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.