Alden Ehrenreich to Play Han Solo

TuskenRaider

I actually think releasing it during the SB was a mistake. Usually a Star Wars trailer is huge, like the biggest deal on the day it's released. With all the commercials and ya know the game itself that won't be the case here. I don't know what they should have done, they obviously didn't want to release it in the run up or the release of TLJ and now the movie is only a few months away. Had to put something out there soon.

Selling someone as one of the most popular characters in history is not possible in that short of a spot, its not really possible in a trailer even. However it is possible for people to draw a negative opinion of it. Its like the old saying "you cant win a game in the first quarter, but you can lose it". Same is true here, they can't win in that 45 second spot, but they can lose.

Why bother spending $5 million to not lose?

Anyway, if they were confident that this was a good movie and people would love Ehrenreich as Han Solo, that would have been the feature. They would have found the scene where he's at his most Han Soloish and let it play out or use it for the cherry on top.

I do think you are over analyzing it though.

<shrug>

It was my gut reaction. I'm already dubious about this movie, as are a lot of people specifically for this reason, and a teaser hiding Ehrenreich only heightens my skepticism.

All they want is for most people to go "hmm, that looks cool". And i think they probably accomplished it.

$5 million for a Star Wars movie to make people think "Hmm, that looks cool"?

Yeah, they are spending the 5 million to get it in front of the people who will never watch it online or make sure to see it tomorrow or discuss it or really even care. They just want to get it out there. A Star Wars movie just came out and believe it or not there will be millions of people watching tonight who before this had zero idea that another one is due out in a few short months. They want those people, the people who arent "fans" but may see the movie once in theaters to see that commercial and think "oh there is a movie about Han Solo? that looks pretty good".

You spend the 5 million as sort of a tax on the fact that the marketing started so late in the game compared to pretty much every other big budget movie.

Now you're the one overthinking. You spend that kind of money to make a big splash and get people hyped. You don't lay down a huge chunk of cash to dip your toe in and make non-fans who probably won't see it anyway mildly aware that it's a thing. And, as you pointed out, it'll all get drowned out in Tide commercials anyway.

I'm sorry, I don't get it. I just can't see how this is anything other than a baffling piece of marketing malpractice.

Disney spent pocket change (to them) to direct people to their own network and websites for the full thing tomorrow.

By holding back on Aiden its just making people anticipate the full trailer tomorrow. They are playing the haters to having the exact reaction POE did.

I thought it looked awesome, but I'm in based on Space Pimp Lando alone.

Lando did look good.

But I doubt that Disney's playing into any sort of strategy. To paraphrase the Coca-Cola president after the conspiracies that New Coke debacle was a plan to get people to want the original formula, I don't think they're that dumb or that smart. I might be able to say why I thought it was a bad trailer, but I doubt many people will think about why they don't care.

Also, as far as spending the money to be on tonight: It almost feels obligatory to do it for a summer movie. Avengers and Jurassic World 2 both have had ads tonight. You kinda have to be on this to be seen as an event summer movie.

As for Poe's issue, I agree that I want to see more of Alden as Han. I just don't think it has to be in the first snippet we've seen.

I am 100% here for the overall aesthetic. I really dug the last shot of Alden, and the animated logo. Also, it looks like they're either keeping with Han's Imperial backstory or having him pull some sort of long con, which I am also 100% here for. Looking forward to the full trailer tomorrow. I got really excited about Rogue One after the first teaser, so I expect to have a similar reaction.

Guest El Chalupacabra

SO the interior of the Falcon used to be gleaming white, and Lando had a full beard. Reminds me of Firefly, with the futuristic train and hovercars, etc. Reason enough to look forward to it.

The train scene immediately reminded me of the game Shadows of the Empire level on Ord Mantell.

Not a lot to go on here story wise. Love the visuals, though. Visuals remind me of Rogue One in look and feel.

I was never excited about a Solo movie, still can't say that I am, but the teaser has made me curious to see the full trailer, now. I never wanted a Star Wars film to fail, and hope this doesn't. Well, financially it won't. But I hope it isn't divisive like TLJ has been.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I am 100% here for the overall aesthetic. I really dug the last shot of Alden, and the animated logo. Also, it looks like they're either keeping with Han's Imperial backstory or having him pull some sort of long con, which I am also 100% here for. Looking forward to the full trailer tomorrow. I got really excited about Rogue One after the first teaser, so I expect to have a similar reaction.

If they keep Han's overall Imperial back story, I will be pleased. I can be down with minor changes, just so long as the important parts of his back story remain intact.

I also read that the young woman featured in the teaser is a character named Kira. Interesting they are recycling Rey's original draft name.

I didn't watch the Super Bowl, but I did see the trailer this morning on YouTube. I will be passively watching this cautiously. If it turns out by some happy accident that it can fit within the old canon with only minor retcons here and there, as with Rogue One, I will accept it with open arms. If not, oh well--I've still got Han's EU back story.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I have some issues after seeing the full trailer....some will claim I'm some fanboy complaining about minutiae, and maybe I am, but these are issues that I find a little annoying.

Gawd I hope they don't make Han Solo too much of a goofball. Kind of seems like it in this preview, anyway. What is up with taking long time beloved male characters, deconstructing them to be some half ass failure who is an over confident bumbler that only succeeds only through serendipity and luck, and sometimes wouldn't succeed without a female lead to straighten him out about life because he's such a man child (clarification: the issue is not having a strong female lead, the issue is the male lead being a doofus)? Sort of just nullifies the character, and the character's accomplishments. I get a flawed hero is interesting, but not to the point where it destroys the character, or makes one question why they are even a hero to be cared about in the first place. This was done to an extent with Kirk in the reboot movies. If they turn Han Solo into this, I will be upset.

Also kind of annoying Kira has a Rey/Jynn British accent. Are the only two accents allowed for main characters American, and British? Why not an exoctic accent you can't quite place where it is from, like Gal Gadot in Wonder Woman?

I'm all for a Firefly-esque heist, just so long as the first part of the movie is Han Solo is drummed out of the Imperial Navy, like in his original back story, first.

What's up with Chewie having a double bandoleer?

Guest El Chalupacabra

Did the music sound Rebels-esque?

Sounded like a cross between John Williams and Inception, to me. These days EVERY trailer sounds like Inception for some unknown reason. I guess that's what the kids call hip.

Did the music sound Rebels-esque?

Sounded like a cross between John Williams and Inception, to me. These days EVERY trailer sounds like Inception for some unknown reason. I guess that's what the kids call hip.
It's like a dream within a dream within a dream of a memory of a town.

Just saw the trailer.......

he's no Harrison Ford is he.

I think my prediction is right..Star Wars is going to become as meaningless as the MCU. Oh well, you cant fight progress I guess. It looks like there will be some cool set pieces, and the design is there...as is a semblance of atmosphere...but for some reason I can't help but feel a complete absence of soul. I hope I'm wrong though.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.