Alden Ehrenreich to Play Han Solo

TuskenRaider

Stolen from a friend in response to screenrant:

the only time the "star wars" movie franchise was ever about "artistic risks" instead of "delivering to the audience a homogeneous and reliable experience of popular entertainment from which everyone gets the exact same rush" was when a maverick independent filmmaker named george lucas wrote, directed, and produced three films in the late nineties/early aughts with his own money, following his own muse, and answering to absolutely no one.

however you feel about how that worked out, it is an important distinction to understand in the light of the current upheavals surrounding the property. "star wars" is owned by disney: their job is to make sure that EVERYONE who watches "star wars" enjoys it, preferably in the closest approximate manner to the way that audiences in 1977 enjoyed the original (hopefully while fooling you into thinking that you are seeing the same story in a completely new way that is nevertheless completely evocative of the classic material) - the money at stake is in the BILLIONS, and the definition of "success" is matching the grosses of the single most successful, pop-culture-defining work in the history of the medium itself.

consider this the next time you read an article accusing that evil and nasty woman kathleen kennedy of firing those two virtuous and artistically daring risk-takers from the han solo movie. maybe she is doing a very clearly-defined job in a very structured environment with stakes - and public attention - beyond anything anything any of us, even those in the business, can imagine... and whether you like it or not, her job is not to give to you personally what you think "star wars" SHOULD be, but rather a "star wars" the entire world CAN enjoy.

People also need to remember that George Lucas hand-picked Kathleen Kennedy to take over Lucasfilm when he retired, and he also chose to sell to Disney.

I would like to add, just in case we go too far the other way and start trumpeting the "Disney-Lucasfilm will always play it safe and never do anything different" mantra, they did release a movie last year where all of the protagonists died. Now of course they didn't do that without extensive audience testing and so on, but it shows they are willing to try different things, at least in the anthology movies.

I thought both jump street movies were pretty decent, and I loved the Lego movie. Definitely talented guys, but the kind of gags in those movies are a bad fit for a Star Wars movie. Not a particularly great fit in my opinion.

That being said, anyone not on the inside are really just offering their best guess as to what exactly happened.

I heard the opposite. They walked in on her and Kasdan having their way with the old Jabba, and they got fired for not minding their own damn business

Guest Robin

Also coverage on scenes was apparently an issue. All that combined with a now likely comedic tone approach could have an effect on all actors involved. Perhaps like an impersonation in a SNL skit, you can see the person, they nail it for moments but it's a SNL skit.

The Hollywood Reporter article said that this was a direct result of the disagreement over the directing style. LFL didn't like the way Lord and Miller were directing Alden. Apparently Alden also expressed concern with the direction of the project.

I know almost nothing about acting, but playing an iconic character can't be easy. Ehrenreich can't just put his own spin on the character. He has to act like Harrison Ford's Han Solo. At least Chris Pine's Kirk was from a different timeline, so he didn't have to act merely like a younger version of Shatner's Kirk. Ehrenreich doesn't even have that much excuse for differences.

Thankfully I have no real interest in this movie. So other than the trailers I'll probably wind up seeing it without any sort of knowledge or expectations. I tried reading The Han Solo and Lando books years ago and just gave up because they didn't grab me.

More info keeps "leaking" on LFL's disappointment with Lord and Millar. Turns out they weren't getting the coverage that was expected. Limited camera set ups, not enough angles, not enough range of delivery from the actors.

I'm guessing LFL learned from what went wrong on RO and wanted to limit their exposure by having enough footage that they could basically take over in editing...I guess that didn't happen and Lord and Miller were let go.

I think it's simple, these guys basically make tongue in cheek movies. Lucasfilm wanted aspects of that in this movie but these guys were going all out and making one of their movies. Rather that making a Star Wars movie infused with their stye.

I think it's simple, these guys basically make tongue in cheek movies. Lucasfilm wanted aspects of that in this movie but these guys were going all out and making one of their movies. Rather that making a Star Wars movie infused with their stye.

Which makes you wonder what the hell those guys were thinking?? As if Lucasfilm/Disney would ever let them do just what they want. Delusions of grandeur.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Rather that making a Star Wars movie infused with their stye.

That's kind of gross. And yet it is still accurate.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.