Alden Ehrenreich to Play Han Solo

TuskenRaider

The difference is, with traditional shooting you do the script first, get a ton of coverage, and if you have time or something doesn't feel right, the writer comes up with new stuff on-set. If the writer isn't available, the director will suggest lines. If the actors are vets (like Harrison even at that stage) their input is taken too. The I Know line was filmed, but it wasn't until the edit it was decided to use it, and even Lucas resisted it until they tested it with an audience.

The more modern approach to comedy films is to use the script as a baseline, but then let the actors drift from it and wing it. Sometimes it works great-- but when you have a franchise film, in a house style, on a tight deadline, and your execs are overseas, it's not going to fly.

Guest Robin

I still would like to see Joseph Kosinski on a major franchise like Star Wars or Trek. I thought he handled rebirthing Tron well and Oblivion was enjoyable. We'd probably have another Tron, but Disney bought Star Wars and Marvel so...

I hope this is not going to become some kind of experiment with a star wars slapstick comedy.

[edit]. Actually, I'm not sure I even care what it is, because I don't have any interest in seeing this in the first place. There's more drama behind the production of this movie then there's going to be in the movie itself. There going to have to bring in some veteran, studio-cooperative, "safe" director, who's going to have what little creative freedom he or she could bring be stifled even more so because the frigging movie has already been cast and shot, minus reshoots which are definately going to happen.

In this Star Wars film, young Han Solo will help Tom Hanks discover how the Catholic Church was behind the Trade Federation

Is there something to be said regarding the older generation of filmmakers such as Howard and Spielberg vs the younger guys when it comes to the responsibility of making a Star Wars movie? The issues with Michael Arndt, Josh Trank and now Miller and Lord would suggest Lucasfilm seems to be having problems with the newer generation.

Back when Kershner died Entertainment Weekly ran a special on him where he said he asked Lucas, "Of all the younger guys around, all the hot-shots, why me?" Lucas replied, "Well, because you know everything a Hollywood director is supposed to know, but you're not Hollywood."

Is Star Wars more fitted for the "old school" types?

Ron Howard hasn't directed a movie that I've liked since like the 90's. Well, except for Rush, which I thought was pretty decent, but it wa a period piece, so it was perfect for the old man. Joss whedon felt like a much better fit for me. Firefly was exactly the kind of thing I pictured Han Solo doing before ANH.

But, considering the circumstances going with a director with tons of experience makes a lot or sense since he's coming in on the middle of the project.

Is there something to be said regarding the older generation of filmmakers such as Howard and Spielberg vs the younger guys when it comes to the responsibility of making a Star Wars movie? The issues with Michael Arndt, Josh Trank and now Miller and Lord would suggest Lucasfilm seems to be having problems with the newer generation.

I think it's a matter of creative freedom versus adhering to strict studio system. The younger crowd want to imprint more of their own ideas, where as seasoned vets like Howard and Spielberg are more used to the studio system.

I also think it's worthy to repeat that this is basically coming in as fixing a bunch of things Lucasfilm sees as problems, as opposed to starting from the beginning. Someone with a lot of experience should be considered if that's the case.

Stolen from a friend in response to screenrant:

the only time the "star wars" movie franchise was ever about "artistic risks" instead of "delivering to the audience a homogeneous and reliable experience of popular entertainment from which everyone gets the exact same rush" was when a maverick independent filmmaker named george lucas wrote, directed, and produced three films in the late nineties/early aughts with his own money, following his own muse, and answering to absolutely no one.

however you feel about how that worked out, it is an important distinction to understand in the light of the current upheavals surrounding the property. "star wars" is owned by disney: their job is to make sure that EVERYONE who watches "star wars" enjoys it, preferably in the closest approximate manner to the way that audiences in 1977 enjoyed the original (hopefully while fooling you into thinking that you are seeing the same story in a completely new way that is nevertheless completely evocative of the classic material) - the money at stake is in the BILLIONS, and the definition of "success" is matching the grosses of the single most successful, pop-culture-defining work in the history of the medium itself.

consider this the next time you read an article accusing that evil and nasty woman kathleen kennedy of firing those two virtuous and artistically daring risk-takers from the han solo movie. maybe she is doing a very clearly-defined job in a very structured environment with stakes - and public attention - beyond anything anything any of us, even those in the business, can imagine... and whether you like it or not, her job is not to give to you personally what you think "star wars" SHOULD be, but rather a "star wars" the entire world CAN enjoy.

I whole-heartedly agree with your friend. Except shouldn't the part in parentheses have been:

"hopefully while fooling you into thinking that you are seeing a new story that is nevertheless completely evocative of the classic material."

Or am I misunderstanding? I don't think their aim is to fool people into thinking they are watching the same story over and over again.

I was wondering how long it'd be before calls for Kennedy's ouster started popping up.

http://screenrant.com/star-wars-spinoff-movies-kathleen-kennedy-han-solo/

I can't help but think that old school is what the Han Solo movie needs. To do it in a contemporary style would be to do the character a disservice, and from the sounds of things, that's what Lord and Miller were doing. Kudos to Kasdan for sticking to his guns over it - after all, he's written the character since the OT, he knows what he's doing.

I don't think Lord and Miller were a particularly good choice in the first place. I watched the first 10 minutes of the jump street movie (can't remember which) on a plane and had to turn it off. Absolute garbage. And I can watch just about anything on a plane.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.