Alden Ehrenreich to Play Han Solo

TuskenRaider

Read something odd that Bob Iger said today about this movie. He said a few things but what stuck out is that he said we'd find out "how he got his name." So Han Solo is not his given name? It's like some kind of nickname?

Man, I hate to keep dumping on this movie, but every little bit of new info just seems like they're getting it wrong.

• 2 months later...

They've been shooting for weeks, so it wasn't the script or an actors performance. They couldn't wait for reshoots so the breakdown is severe. My guess Lucasfilm is watching dailies and didn't like it tonally. To me that means that they expected these guys to deliver the fun and they went dark, or vice versa.

They are all saying it was amicable but there's no scenario where halting production for a new director is anything but bad news bears.

When you look at their filmography its nearly pure comedy. They've directed Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, 21 and 22 Jump Street and the Lego Movie. So somewhat like Driver said Lucasfilm either wanted that and these guys weren't giving them that or I think more likely they were making it nearly a total comedy whereas Lucasfilm want an action movie with some comedy.

Guest Robin

oof. Maybe they wisely thought making a Young Han Solo movie was a bad idea and Lucasfilm thought creatively different?

LOL

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/star-wars-han-solo-kathleen-kennedy-director-fired-1202473919/

This more or less confirms that theory.

Odds-makers and rumor monger saying Ron Howard, which in a way, seems like a no-brainer. He's always been so low key I forget just how many movies he's made, and he's technically part of the Lucasfilm family.

Ron Howard has directed some amazing movies, but he's not as well known as directors like Ridley Scott, Spielberg, JJ Abrams and Michael Bay, which is a real shame (one of my top three all-time favourite movie scenes is the take-off scene from Apollo 13). Him potentially taking over is giving me more hope that this movie won't suck, but the circumstances of him taking the helm are raising some serious red flags. It's still a 50/50 film for me that I'm really dubious about, and I still maintain that a young Han Solo movies was a wrong move. There's been more and more people talking about wanting an Obi-Wan or Boba Fett movie, and I can't help but feel doing both of those instead of this would have been a better idea.

This late in filming, I don't know about industry wise but it's not a good look on Lucasfilm. When they got rid of Trank it sounded like he wasn't up to the task, but some of these Lucasfilm shooting horror stories, maybe they're just terrible to work for.

I don't think there is any evidence of Kennedy being overbearing during the other films. None I can find anyway. I think as someone mentioned earlier that the dailies weren't what they wanted and perhaps they weren't getting the right performances from the actors. I think it's a shame because they are talented guys and I enjoyed the Jump Street movies. But it's horses for courses and if they weren't fittingt in and unwilling to change their approach then maybe it's for the best.

This late in filming, I don't know about industry wise but it's not a good look on Lucasfilm. When they got rid of Trank it sounded like he wasn't up to the task, but some of these Lucasfilm shooting horror stories, maybe they're just terrible to work for.

JJ and Rian seem to be in the clear, but every other film seems to have had a directorial misstep.

The Hollywood Reporter story had some "details," at least as much as you ever get with something like this. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-why-han-solo-movie-directors-were-fired-1015474

Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that the style and vision of Lord and Miller clashed with that of Lawrence Kasdan, the legendary screenwriter behind the classics Empire Strikes Back and ‪Raiders of the Lost Ark, who also wrote, with his son, Jon Kasdan, the script for the Han Solo stand-alone set (for now) to be released in 2018.

Lord and Miller (21 Jump Street, The Lego Movie) have a comedic sensibility and improvisational style while Kasdan favors a strict adherence to the written word — what is on the page is what must be shot.

The creative clash, according to one insider, also came down to differences in understanding the character of Han Solo. “People need to understand that Han Solo is not a comedic personality. He’s sarcastic and selfish,” said that source.

The friction was felt almost immediately when the movie began shooting in February, sources say, but the directors always thought it could be worked through. Kennedy, the producer and head of Lucasfilm, decided to back her lifelong colleague, who shaped much of Solo’s character in Empire and ‪Return of the Jedi and who had a specific tone in mind for the new movie. The duo also didn’t feel they had the support of producer Allison Shearmur, who was acting as Lucasfilm’s representative on the London set.

I think this is both reasonable and concerning (that it is only just now happening).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.