Alden Ehrenreich to Play Han Solo

TuskenRaider

• 4 weeks later...
Guest El Chalupacabra

Am I the only one who has zero interest in this film? Sad thing is, we will probably end up seeing it have a couple sequels, and probably won't get a single Obi Wan movie.

Yes! Now tell us who's playing the female lead.

Looks like Emilia Clarke will be taking that on. Nina Gold's influence?

Not sure how I feel about this since I haven't exactly been impressed with her in anything other than Game of Thrones. And, as much as I like Daenerys Targaryen as a character, it's really not the most difficult role in the world to play. I'm probably supposed to get my fanboy on and be all stoked about it, but it really just puts this further in the category of movies that just sound like a bad idea.

I don't deny that this is an important viewpoint to have, I guess, but I'm really glad it's not something I worry about.

And, as much as I like Daenerys Targaryen as a character, it's really not the most difficult role in the world to play.

I'll push back on this: She spends a non-negligible amount of time interacting with fake dragons and speaking a made up language. That's impressive as hell. There's a lot about her performance I don't love, but those aspects, which she does really well, are undeniably impressive.

I'll push back on this: She spends a non-negligible amount of time interacting with fake dragons and speaking a made up language. That's impressive as hell. There's a lot about her performance I don't love, but those aspects, which she does really well, are undeniably impressive.

Sheesh, I'm not all that interested in bashing her Game of Thrones performance this morning, but realistically, how much time has she spent interacting with the dragons? It's only a few times per season, and for the majority of them she's not even looking at them, just standing there all queenly while people drop to their knees.

Like I said, she's a cool character. I like her, and Clarke plays her well, but as far as an actor stretching their limits, there are easily a dozen roles in the show that are meatier. Maybe she does have some experience with special effects that other actresses lack, but is that really all that hard to find these days?

I'm not impressed with another white brunette playing the lead female character. There ARE other types of women out there, Star Wars.

I hope that was some sort of flame bait and not an inadvertent parody of yourself.

What is wrong with wanting a diverse cast of actors? Especially actresses, who have historically not been well represented in Star Wars? I'm really not understanding the objection unless you're just trying to be jerky to me on purpose?

Changing the world one forum post at a time??

Since Disney took over there have been 5 Star Wars movies officially announced. Three of them are the sequel trilogy. They feature a female main character and the other 2 new main good guy characters are black and Guatamalan. Rogue One has a female main character and the rest of the cast looks like a mini UN. The Han Solo movie has a black guy and a female as the 2nd and 3rd most important characters most likely. I don't think it's fair to get on them for diversity or lack thereof at this point. I didn't know hair color was a diversity issue.

What's important is that people of all races, colors are given fair and equal consideration for parts. They shouldn't have like a checklist of "hey we need to make sure we get all these types into our movies." Obviously we don't know for sure who was considered for every part but rumors suggest that minority actresses were given strong consideration.

• 4 months later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.