Alden Ehrenreich to Play Han Solo

TuskenRaider

I'm just going to say it. TFA was Chewie's best movie, and I suspect it had something to do with not Peter Mayhew playing him almost everywhere. I never super cared for Chewie either way. If he's in the Han movie I hope the new guy plays him.

Chewie had all the best lines in TFA, hands down

Guest El Chalupacabra

Whoa, wait, when has Han Solo not been comedy relief? This is the guy who said "I know" as he was about to be frozen into carbonite! This is the guy who chased down stormtroopers on the Death Star! The guy who shrugged after they trapped the Imperials on Endor!

Ā 

Also, he may be a badass, but he's also a huge dork.

I'm just gonna have to agree to disagree with you on that.

Ā 

He was cocky and overconfident, sure, but still badass. If there were a low point of TFA, it was how Han was portrayed when he was re-introduced, and I don't want to see more of that in any prequel-Han movies. I don't want Han Solo reinvented as a Don Quixote-like buffoon with a heart of gold.

Ā 

The anthology movie I would LOVE to see is an Obi Wan movie.

Ā 

Yes! With Ewan McGregor! I believe he has even said he's open to doing it.

Ā 

This is a recurring theme. Also Driver has called dibs on writing it... only not sure the studios know this.

An Obi-Wan movie is so in the zeitgeist it's something everyone thinks they thought of, and it seems, universally something that almost everyone wants. Hopefully that means it's only a matter of time.

Guest El Chalupacabra

An Obi-Wan movie is so in the zeitgeist it's something everyone thinks they thought of, and it seems, universally something that almost everyone wants. Hopefully that means it's only a matter of time.

I'm definitely not foolish enough to think I thought of this on my own. Just saying I would love to see it! :)

Ā 

I think it's almost universally accepted that Ewan MacGregor was the bright spot of the PT, and I think most Star Wars fans would at least be open to it, if not just downright want him to return as Obi Wan, preferably in his own film. Even Ewan Macgregor has said he would like to return as Obi Wan.

Ā 

I know it's cinemablend, but this year old article seems to back that up (seriously, I just found it, so maybe there is something to your zeitgeist idea)

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Ewan-McGregor-Down-More-Star-Wars-Here-What-He-Says-72190.html

I'm just going to say it. TFA was Chewie's best movie, and I suspect it had something to do with not Peter Mayhew playing him almost everywhere. I never super cared for Chewie either way. If he's in the Han movie I hope the new guy plays him.

Ā 

The articles at the time the movie came cut basically said that Mayhew was only replaced by Suotamo for physically active scenes and that Mayhew played him most of the time. I get where Hollywood magic might mean that he's in there more than we thought, but where do you get that they were fibbing and Mayhew was basically replaced?

I must be the only person here who couldn't care less if Meyhew was 100% replaced all the time.

Ā 

I love the idea of Ewan returning for an Obi-Wan anthology film under ONE condition: he doesn't have the AOTC Jedi mullet.

Ā 

Han Solo anthology...I don't have any interest in this one, but it could gain enough traction with me later. I don't know. Oh, and I think this guy's a bit too pretty-boy handsome. Han was more manly handsome.

Ā 

Boba Fett anthology...meh. More interesting than Han, less interesting than Obi-Wan or Rogue One.

Ā 

The articles at the time the movie came cut basically said that Mayhew was only replaced by Suotamo for physically active scenes and that Mayhew played him most of the time. I get where Hollywood magic might mean that he's in there more than we thought, but where do you get that they were fibbing and Mayhew was basically replaced?

There were several bits in Starkiller base where Chewie would run, climb a ladder, or do something else physical and they'd go right into a one shot without cutting.

Ā 

at some point i got the feeling that if Chewie was sitting it was Mayhew, otherwise it was the other guy. I could be totally wrong though with no proof-- Chewie just seemed more fluid. Even in the OT Chewie looked awkward when he ran.

Yeah-- that's kind of my point. Even in the OT he was kind of slow and lumbering, he had a speed and grace in TFA he never had. Add in a couple really good character moments and you get to where my thinking is.

Ā 

That said, one of the best Chewie moments-- when he smiles at Rey from the co-pilot seat and pokes at a few buttons for her, that's pretty clearly Mayhew.

On screen or it isn't real

remeniscence.gif

Ā 

Ā 

Seriously, though, Chewie being that old has been around for a long time. I know you want only film (and perhaps show) references, but I went through some of my old references that do not pull from the EU. The first, though perhaps less trustworthy source given changes from the books to the screen, is the original novelization of ANH. It refers to Chewie as being over a hundred years old. The edition of the book that I have is from 1977, so this also couldn't be something later added back in.

Ā 

Secondly, I pulled out The Magic of Myth, which is the book that came out alongside the old Smithsonian exhibit that describes a lot of the background for the movies. It mentions explicitly that Chewie was 200 in ANH, providing a reference to one of the old Art of Star Wars books. Granted, I do not have those, but my recollection from checking them out from the library when I was a kid is that everything from them pulled from production notes and art.

Ā 

Even if you don't want to take these as definitive within the actual movies, these sources clearly provide evidence dating back to the time of ANH's development that Chewie was fully intended to be that age.

There's a crap ton of Star Wars worldbuilding that's accepted as fact that was never stated in a film. Han being Corellian, the fact that the Falcon was a YT-1300 freighter (only referenced in TFA), Breha Organa's name, the different regions of the galaxy...I could go on and on. It's kind of silly not to accept any of that. Not wanting to have to read a book to understand stuff, I can understand, but not accepting that Wookiee lifespans are hella long? Come on now. :p

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.